Minox post HT

destro21

been using rahal's prescribed minox for the past few months post HT. The post-op looks great without the minox, but once I use the minox, it clumps, greases and makes the hair look nasty-wet 24/7. The prescribed minox is like the kirkland stuff, maybe even greasier.

1)Do you think its better to stick with one minox formula a few months post HT? I'm very tempted to try one of the "dryer" formulas, but don't know if switching so soon will disrupt the follicles.

2)would a doctor prescribed minox formula (high glycerin) be better for absorption and whether some faster drying formulas will not be as beneficial post HT?

thx

Edited by destro21

I'm not sure what formula of minoxidil he gave you, but if it's the normal 5% kind, you can simply switch to rogaine foam which dries very quickly and doesn't leave your hair greasy. Switching shouldn't cause any issues, as it's the same medication.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I've been using the foam version from 14 days post op onwards. Previously in the past I was on liquid solution. And it caused lots of greasiness and irritation. The foam on the other hand is great and the issues I was previously having with the liquid version are certainly less prominent.

I also thought the foam version was far better as far as the remaining residue. It is more expensive than the generic fluid type

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I'm not sure what formula of minoxidil he gave you, but if it's the normal 5% kind, you can simply switch to rogaine foam which dries very quickly and doesn't leave your hair greasy. Switching shouldn't cause any issues, as it's the same medication.

There seem to be many more "Rogaine Foam chewed up my hairline" threads than there are threads attributing the same thing to, say, Kirkland Minox.

Can anyone speculate as to why this might be? Is it purely coincidence?

I want to switch from Kirkland liquid to the Rogain foam, but since I'm a hairline case, I have reservations.

The active ingredient in Rogaine and other topical products is minoxidil which can and will cause hair follicles to shed when it is first applied and/or applied to a new untreated area.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

The active ingredient in Rogaine and other topical products is minoxidil which can and will cause hair follicles to shed when it is first applied and/or applied to a new untreated area.

so do you think the foam causes "more" shedding/balding than the liquid formula?

I agree with SugarHighs above, from researching this and other forums, it seems there are tons of posters complaining about how the foam causes massive sheds. It also seems they quite right after the shed and go back to the liquid, so hard to read up on results.

If one has used the liquid for a while, why would the foam cause a shed??

(since same ingredients).

Yes, I understand the logic that it is the same medicine, but you will find tons of "shedding" threads from guys who switched from the liquid to the foam, and virtually none from guys who switched from the foam to the liquid.

Do you feel that the liquid has had any effect on your hairline? There is not a lot of discussion about Minoxidil having a profound effect in the hairline and frontal areas. Ive seen some patients get some peach fuzz but that is about it. Curious to know if you have had a better expereince.

Do you feel that the liquid has had any effect on your hairline? There is not a lot of discussion about Minoxidil having a profound effect in the hairline and frontal areas. Ive seen some patients get some peach fuzz but that is about it. Curious to know if you have had a better expereince.

Hi Dr. Charles,

I'm not sure if you're addressing me, however in my case I've been using Kirkland Minox 5% since Oct 1st this year. 1 ml, once per day in the evening at the "sides" of my hair line, rather than at the "top." What I mean by that, is I apply the liquid to the temple area from just above my sideburns up to where the sides end and the top of my hair begins to grow.

As far as its effectiveness, I have certainly noticed something in these 7 short weeks. There is not a huge cosmetic difference yet, however the hair where I've applied the minox is definitely "stronger."

I am not certain whether I've grown add'l hairs, or whether the existing hairs are simply thicker, but when I rub my fingers along this area of my hair the texture and thickness of the hair is different. The best adjective I can come up with is that the hair is "stronger."

I have kept my sides buzzed to a #2 blade with the clippers for over 10 years now, so the difference in thickness is not attributed to longer hair.

I've also grown more body hair in, uh, certain areas, however I'm not sure this is entirely attributed to Minoxidil, because I've also started on MSM, biotin, and some other hair-friendly vitamins recently.

I am also on Propecia 1mg.

i used xandrox and kirkland minox for over 5 years with no noticeable results (only once/day). Then I had a transplant and was suggested to use minox for at least a year. I used the stuff prescribed by rahal (2x/day). After a few months, i've notice dozens of hairs 4mm "below" the transplanted hairline grow about 5 mm in length and pigmented. So I don't know if these new hairs are transplanted hairs or actually grew from the minox. The reason I suspect it might be minox is because they are growing a few mm below where the transplanted hairline took place. They are also much finer than the transplanted hairs that are growing. Don't know if its possible that transplanted follicles have awaken old dead follicles.

That's also why i'm kinda hesitant to start on rogaine foam. Since this liquid might be working and I heard the foam causes shedding (as well no one seems to continue using it past the shed phase so I don't know about it as a longer-term replacement to the liquid, even though the liquid looks greasy as hell).

Edited by destro21

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the guys that I have talked to that have shed from the foam state that eventually the regrowth comes back.

Sugarhighs is IMHO experiencing an improvement in hair caliber. Minoxidil, whether liquid or foam rarely produces new growth. And when it does, it is usually nothing meaningful.

It is the gain in the degree of coarseness that improves the illusion of coverage. IMHO, that's the largest benefit of minoxidil based products.

Gillenator