Need help for post op pain/nerve damage

I had a hair transplant 15 days ago ... experiencing intense pain (and numbness) from the donor area up to the top of my scalp. Spoke with doctor, he thought the pain would diminish by now but it hasn't. I strongly suspect I suffered nerve damage during the surgery. It's not the numbness that bothers me nearly as much as the pain. Very difficult to function, sleep, etc. What are the chances this pain is permanent? Also are there any treatments/fixes?

Im sorry to hear that ....its experiences like this that should stray people away from hair transplants. Try finding another doctor to get a second opinion because its sad to say once you have paid up some doctors will show no concern..Good luck on your journey

moonm,

I'm very sorry to hear that you are experiencing intense pain. I cannot comment as to how long this will last as it is highly unusual. I've never heard of a hair transplant resulting in chronic pain.

Speaking from experience, I have had two hair transplants and also had orthognathic surgery on my lower jaw and had very little pain from these procedures.

I also suggest consulting in person with your surgeon. Please keep us updated on your condition.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I appreciate the concern. If anyone has experience with these symptoms, i.e., sensitivity and pain from nerve-related damage, please let me know. I'm really interested in the prognosis and any possible treatments.

Hi moonm,

Sorry about your experience. I have had a transplant too and all I experienced was some numbness and uneasiness. I would meet the doctor in person to make sure there isn't any nerve related or infection related issues

I wish you get better soon...

I guess it was around for about a month, gradually reducing. Also, I felt slight numbness till around the end of the 2 month mark. I have read that the numbness' (not the pain) continuing for months together isn't totally abnormal. The pain is something which you should immediately try to address...

Moonm,

Of-course, I experienced pain, however, not as intense as you seem to be experiencing. I had pain for the first few days. I was on some tabs prescribed by my doc for almost a fortnight, I guess there were some pain killers too, maybe for a week's time. Also, I made sure I wasn't touching or poking the donor site though there was a strong urge to feel the spot

There was minimal pain after the first fortnight. What I felt thereafter and what followed was more of an uneasiness in my trying to get over the HT procedure...

Is it insane to go under the knife for a nose job, or breast implants, or any other cosmetic procedure that involves, probably, greater risk than a strip HT? I do agree that the scar can be rather "unsightly" however, is this not a choice a person should be allowed to make, especially if they have educated themselves about it?

Often times, enjoyment in life involves risk, like rock climbing, or skydiving, or drag racing. There will always be those that do not have a "happy ending". But the word "choice" is a fundamental part of human existence, especially in the United States. There comes a time when government regulation, such as banning the strip procedure as you suggested, must be limited so that we preserve that EVER SO POWERFUL word "CHOICE".

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/162644-dr-true-3-106-graft-fut-nw-4a.html

There is an example of a case where someone has a donor scar, I believe it's the last photo. If that's a scar that bothers you, you shouldn't do it. It's very difficult to notice. If you plan to keep your head shaved like yours is now than don't do it, doctors wouldn't suggest you do it, because it's so short. Both FUT and FUE are great and they both have their place in certain situations, so in your case FUE might be best since you don't want to grow your hair out, if you plan to grow it out than FUT is not a problem because it won't be seen, you only need about 1/2 inch of hair to hide it.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians