Scalp stretching exercises??

How much is too much, and how much is not enough? I'm a 5 min in the morning and a 10 minute in the evening kind of guy. I do stretch pretty vigoursly each time. I hope that's okay. I'm 3 months out from surgery(as I'm sure everyone knows from my time post, Ha) but I just wanna make sure I'm doing all I can. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Good question...H&W state you need to do them 30 minutes in total everyday...but I find it hard to do...i do about 5 min in the am and pm...they tire me out and I have been getting slight headaches when I have been doing them...but I am going to try to keep doing them and for longer periods. Do you have issues/difficulty with doing them too?

That is what I say in the video. 30 minutes per day, five minutes here and there thoughout the day to reach 30 minutes. If it's two minutes, three minutes each time, it doesn't matter, as long as you get close to 30 min per day.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Jotronic

You have had quite a few surgeries. Two questions

1. Have you ever experienced shockloss in the donor area?

2. Does good scalp laxity in the donor area help prevent shockloss?

Others feel free to chime in as well.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

• 4 weeks later...
That is what I say in the video. 30 minutes per day, five minutes here and there thoughout the day to reach 30 minutes. If it's two minutes, three minutes each time, it doesn't matter, as long as you get close to 30 min per day.

Are these exercises important for FUE also? Or only strip? Or does it matter?

Thanks,

Sugar

Newhair,

1. Have you ever experienced shockloss in the donor area?

That's hard to answer. I think I had some but it was very minor.

2. Does good scalp laxity in the donor area help prevent shockloss?

Generally, yes. Most patients will see donor shock in the mastoid regions. The mastoids are what would be referred to as the rear "corners" of your head if your head was square and is usually where the donor strip takes a direction change up the sides of your scalp. This is also where the scalp is traditionally the tightest hence the higher chance of donor shock. While it is no guarantee it is thought that the more laxity you have the lower your chance of donor shock.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

The more stretching you do, the more likely you are to be helping the telegen hairs out of the skin. (the telegen hairs are at that point in the cycle where they are no longer growing, but are still in the outer parts of the follicle waiting for the new hair to push them out, or destined to fall out) A bit like rubbing scabs off. These telegen hairs are likely to remain in the skin longer otherwise and then all of a sudden, when the strip is taken and the wound is closed, the new stretched skin will drop them, as the tension or the 'grip' on them is loosened by the scalp stretching. This gives you the appearance of more shock loss than the amount that has taken place.

Strip doctors don't talk much about these because they don't want to remind you that you lose a lot of them (telegen hair) during a strip procedure, so they insist that the hairs stay in the skin so that their cutters can see them and that healthy follicles aren't accidentally binned on account of being 'vacant' of a hair. But think about rubbing the scalp for 30 minutes a day for months. Those hair will be helped out.