Sleeping after HT

Hi all

It has been about 7 days since my HT - how did folks manage sleeping with the sutures at this stage? I tried sleeping on my back on one or two normal pillows but it was still very uncomfortable with the sutures at the back - went back to my 4-5 pillows and sleeping at about 45 degrees...

What are the typical recommendations?

Hi all

It has been about 7 days since my HT - how did folks manage sleeping with the sutures at this stage? I tried sleeping on my back on one or two normal pillows but it was still very uncomfortable with the sutures at the back - went back to my 4-5 pillows and sleeping at about 45 degrees...

What are the typical recommendations?

Yeah it just goes away with time. I'll be 3 weeks out this friday and I still have some discomfort back there but it's minimal. I'm actually just now getting my sutures out tomorrow. But definitely continuing to sleep at an angle helps take some fo the pressure off the donor are and helps with the pain.

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

I found that it really helped to have one of those C-shaped travel pillows. Just like you, it was impossible to get sleep with the sutures in. Rest assured it will get way better once they are removed! Hang in there!

You should get some relief when the sutures are taken out. Many patients describe it as though someone was pulling the back of the hair and then let go. If this Friday will be 3 weeks you definitely need to get them out soon. If there is a lot of itching that is the bodies way of telling you they are probably ready to come out.

I recommend you do not try to see how far you can flex your neck by trying to touch your chin to your chest. This will put additional stress on the suture site possible stretching out the scar. Good luck.

I did get a travel pillow and that is what I am continuing to use - went back to sleeping with multiple pillows and the travel pillow to reduce the pressure on the sutures.

Maybe after they have been removed (it has been one week since my surgery - planning to remove it at the 2 week mark), it will be better?

• 2 weeks later...

indian_guy,

I do understand; I had staples with both procedures, and it wasnot until they were taken out that I was completely comfortable sleeping on my back, or for that matter lying down with my head resting on something. What worked for me was arranging pillows in a way that supported my neck just under the scar, as well as using a travel pillow.

Benjamin