Best priced Dr in NY?

Bobby9940

So I want to get an HT but sadly cost is a huge factor in which Dr/procedure I can do. I think I would rather get an FUE but it looks too expensive so I'm guessing an FUT would be my option.

Of the four New York based surgeons that have the highest praise (Bernstein, Feller, and True & Dorin), which one charges the least per graft? I haven't gone in for any kind of consultation so I have no idea how many grafts would be optimal for me, but I'm hoping I can get what I need for $3000.

A little about me: I'm 29, been losing hair since 19, currently a Norwood 4A, been using both rogaine foam and finesteride but not real luck with either. I'd like the option of being able to change my hair style and not have to wear it long to cover up a major scar or anything like that.

If anyone can help that would be very much appreciated.

You should look into financing the job so that money will be less of a factor. You should also go ahead and start doing the consults so that you get get graft estimates and be able to plan accordingly.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Bobby,

Of the three clinics you mentioned, True & Dorin charge the least for FUT. I don't know about their prices for FUE though, but it's usually double! I had my procedure with Dr. Dorin when I was 29 years old just like you and I just had my second procedure 6 weeks ago at age 30. I was a NW3 and I ended up getting a total of 3,000 grafts FUT. You can see my results in my signature below.

As for how many grafts you'll be needing, I can't say for sure without seeing pics of your hair, but if you're truly a NW4A, then you're going to need at least 4,000 grafts to get an acceptable result. That is going to cost you a hell of a lot more than $3,000, probably closer to $15,000.

Most reputable clinics charge between $4-5 per graft. So $3,000 grafts will get you around 750 grafts, which is nowhere near what you're going to need. You're definitely going to have to finance it.

I used a financing option called Care Credit. They had 0% financing for the first year. It worked out well for me because I ended up paying it off in a couple months. However, I've heard of some posters having bad experiences with them, so I'd do some research on it if I were you.

Also, if you've been having no luck with Propecia or Rogain, you may not even be a candidate for HT in the first place. As stated, you've been losing hair since age 19, and you're a NW4A at age 29, you could very well lose a lot more hair. If Propecia isn't stabilizing your hair loss, then I don't know if an HT is a viable option for you.

Were you consistent with your use of Propecia? Or were you on-again/off-again? What is your family history like? How bald are the men in your family, both paternal and maternal?

Post some pics to get more accurate advice.

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

"Of the three clinics you mentioned, True & Dorin charge the least for FUT."

That's not accurate. According to their web sites: Dr. Feller charges $12k for 2800-3000 grafts ($4/graft), T&D charges $4-7 per graft, and Bernstein charges $6/graft.

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I don't know of many doctors that may cater to your request and goals for that amount on this side of the globe, however, that is not to say it is not possible internationally. There are other surgeons recommended on this FORUM that can cater to your needs but you may have to book a ticket to get a better price. Meaning, say if you spend $1,000 on an advanced airline ticket round trip booking & $200 hotel and then $200 on food. Let's just say $1500 to $2000 total on travel and other associated costs. Then you take your $3,000 FOR HAIR TRANSPLANT overseas to some doctors on this forum that can provide you lower rates. In the long run, they are able to cover more for your money for your Norwood 4 scalp, but you have to absorb the $1500 to 2000 estimated travel costs, and these doctors will maybe reduce your transplant cost more since you travelled from outside the country. You can only find out once you talk to them.

Hint: Dr. Madhu in India, Dr. Mohmand in Pakistan, Some Doctors in TURKEY, Some doctors in Thailand. Many people from the U.S. have gone and gotten their surgeries done successfully in foreign countries. Some people aren't, but if you are comfortable with exploring the globe/ comfortable with diversity then it wont be an issue. Besides, everywhere around the globe people are able to speak English on top of other languages. So, communication isn't such a big barrier. Some people take these routes to pay for expensive procedures at great prices overseas. I don't blame them. If you don't have the funds and want to get covered, that is a good route to take. Otherwise, you can pay through loans and get procedures done at higher costs if you are able to do so in New York or other areas. Due to higher real estate costs, higher insurance costs, higher wages to pay techs, amongst other things in North America, surgeons really can't give cheaper deals, unless they decide to do so in good faith if they choose.

So, YES there is a possiblity to save money with REPUTABLE surgeons INTERNATIONALLY due to various factors. They can give you NICE COVERAGE for that amount. It doesn't hurt to give them a call and discuss this further with them. That is your option if you are on a very tight budget and don't want to risk interest rates on loans and etc. Why don't you send emails for multiple price quotes and compare what 10-15 surgeons have to say.

KEEP IN MIND, if you pay off a loan quicker they will charge you a pre payment penalty and also, those 0% interest free loans, if you accidently for whatever reason miss a payment, then you agree to pay high rates around 29% interest rate and you are screwed for the remainder of the loan. They look for ways to screw you over. I know a couple of people that have gone through that garbage.

You wont be able to get decent coverage in the North America region for that amount of money unless a doctor is willing to work with you. I concur 750 grafts or so is about right, but DEFINITELY not the amount you will need to cover Norwood 4. Internationally, you may be able to get 2500-3000 grafts or so including travel discounts deducted to your procedure. BIG difference financially, but it may be something to think about if you really want a transplant and you are on a very tight budget. Otherwise, you can save up or get a loan and get a procedure done here.

Why don't you email all those 4 surgeons and get a quote from each of them on how much they will charge you for FUE for your needs. If you want to get it done in NYC, then the best price is your best bet and you need to find a way to financially pay for it if you really want a transplant.

Hairthere just mentioned Dr. Feller offering lower price in NY? Maybe you can talk to him if he is offering the lowest rate in NY? Good Luck with everything.

Edited by Sean

Sean is correct, you can save money on the procedure if you are willing to travel overseas. Dr. Pathomvanic in Thailand is around $3/graft I believe. Of course, you have to factor in the cost of travel, lodging, and the fact that a follow-up visit will be out of the question. Some docs will reimburse some of your travel costs or help you with lodging, so be sure to ask. Good luck!

P.S. Do not go with some unknown doctor just because he is cheap!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Sean is correct, you can save money on the procedure if you are willing to travel overseas. Dr. Pathomvanic in Thailand is around $3/graft I believe. Of course, you have to factor in the cost of travel, lodging, and the fact that a follow-up visit will be out of the question. Some docs will reimburse some of your travel costs or help you with lodging, so be sure to ask. Good luck!

P.S. Do not go with some unknown doctor just because he is cheap!

I agree with everything Hairthere says, DO NOT GO TO SOME UNKNOWN DOC BECAUSE HE OR SHE IS CHEAP.

Bosley offers low rates too but the quality can ruin you rather then help you. Don't fall for those dollar a graft deals by some clinics either because you don't want to risk a subpar result on your head or possible DAMAGE to your head due to lower prices. There are many experienced hair loss members on this forum that can tell you their stories when they took that route and how they went to recommended docs to fix the situation. Better to be safe then sorry, so do your research on the quality of work by the clinic, and even try to meet with patients before you make your move. Best of luck to you.

That's not accurate. According to their web sites: Dr. Feller charges $12k for 2800-3000 grafts ($4/graft), T&D charges $4-7 per graft, and Bernstein charges $6/graft.

Let me clarify.

True & Dorin charged me $4 per graft, regardless of the number of grafts. Dr. Feller has a tiered pricing plan: the more grafts you purchase, the lower the price. So if you opt for 1,250 grafts from Feller, it'll be $5 per graft. If you opt for more, such as 3,000 grafts, the price will decrease to $4 per graft.

Tiered pricing plans are common. Some docs have them, some don't. If I were you, I'd opt for the largest possible number of grafts, not so much to save money, but rather so as to minimize the chances of having to come back for a second procedure. FUT is no walk in the park. Either way, don't let price dictate your choice.

KEEP IN MIND, if you pay off a loan quicker they will charge you a pre payment penalty and also, those 0% interest free loans, if you accidently for whatever reason miss a payment, then you agree to pay high rates around 29% interest rate and you are screwed for the remainder of the loan. They look for ways to screw you over. I know a couple of people that have gone through that garbage.

This wasn't the case with the financing option I chose. They had no early payment penalty. I've heard that some do, but I wouldn't have gone with them if they did. Of course, if you miss a payment, I'm sure they're going to charge a fee or something like any and all credit cards do. So make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. If you're the type who has trouble making payments on time, then maybe it's not for you. I never had that problem though. I didn't pay any fees nor any interest whatsoever.

Make sure to do your research. Good luck.

Corvettester

Let me clarify.

This wasn't the case with the financing option I chose. They had no early payment penalty. I've heard that some do, but I wouldn't have gone with them if they did. Of course, if you miss a payment, I'm sure they're going to charge a fee or something like any and all credit cards do. So make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. If you're the type who has trouble making payments on time, then maybe it's not for you. I never had that problem though. I didn't pay any fees nor any interest whatsoever.

Make sure to do your research. Good luck.

Corvettester

Sorry let me clarify, I know some people that used the service you used Care Credit. They ran into difficulties with them. I think since you had no issue with them, things worked out for you and I am glad they did. However, two of my friends said they didn't do enough research with them and then they sent me a links before I made a decision on my dental treatment. I was going to use them for Dental treatments, but I decided not too after roaming these websites below. The sites I paste below or not promotional, and are for consumer research and protection:

CareCredit GE MoneyBank Consumer Complaints

CareCredit @ Pissed Consumer

An Honest Review About Care Credit - CareCredit Healthcare Finance Plans - Epinions.com

Granted sometimes people make payments on time and have no issue in doing so, however, my friend got screwed by trying to pay online and their internet service was DOWN supposeadly for a few days for upgrades on and off. So, what happened was they gave him that high interest rate and then didn't remove it and blamed him for not paying sooner. He was 5-6 days or so away from his payment due date. So, I mean, corporations are always looking for ways to make a buck or to screw people over. That's how it is with a lot of credit card and loan companies. Some loan services do charge pre payment penalities, this one claims they do not though. But as Corvettetester said, it is always better to do your research.

I actually saved up for a transplant until I had the money then made the move, due to these added worries and what if's. It's always better to be safe than sorry. There may even be some surgeons that may offer their own payment plan. Check that out if it is possible. I know for dental treatment, I found a doctor that was really good and offered a 0% interest payment plan by himself and I pay him monthly. So, I don't know if any surgeon offers this on this forum, but ask around. Good Luck.

According to True and Dorin's web site they charge a range of $4-7/graft. I am assuming this is part of a tiered pricing plan much like Dr. Feller's. I am guessing you worked out a deal Corvettester? This is pretty common and as a consumer I would always suggest haggling a bit on price. Most HT docs are pretty compassionate and will help patients really in need to restore their hair.

According to True and Dorin's web site they charge a range of $4-7/graft. I am assuming this is part of a tiered pricing plan much like Dr. Feller's. I am guessing you worked out a deal Corvettester? This is pretty common and as a consumer I would always suggest haggling a bit on price.

Hairthere,

You guessed wrong. I didn't think it prudent to haggle or negotiate price with a cosmetic surgeon. It'd be different if I were buying a used car, but this is surgery! There was no negotiating or asking for special favors on my part. That's just not my style.

The day of my first consultation, Dr. True gave me a 1,300 graft estimate at $4 per graft. He told me to take my time, and even went out of his way to mention that if I chose to undergo an HT with him, he would honor the original price quote. He said this because he actually wanted me to wait another year, just to be on the safe side, so he could compare photos of my hair.

Of course, that was in 2009, so perhaps T&D have since changed their price structure. If so, I didn't know. I'll ask them the next time I go in for a follow up.

Personally, I disagree with your suggestion of "haggling a bit on price." An HT is not a used car and I value the skill and dignity of the person performing it. Once during a consultation, a clinic rep quoted me $6 per graft. When I told him that Dr. True had quoted me $4 per graft just a week earlier, the rep immediately price dropped to match Dr. True's price. This disgusted me and I hope I don't have to explain why...

Corvettester

Sorry let me clarify, I know some people that used the service you used Care Credit. They ran into difficulties with them. I think since you had no issue with them, things worked out for you and I am glad they did. However, two of my friends said they didn't do enough research with them and then they sent me a links before I made a decision on my dental treatment. I was going to use them for Dental treatments, but I decided not too after roaming these websites below. The sites I paste below or not promotional, and are for consumer research and protection:

Sean,

Sounds like you have smart friends.

Thanks for posting the links. This is the first I've seen of consumer complaints against Care Credit, everything else was just hearsay, which is why I suggested that Bobby research it himself. I don't doubt the experiences of the dissatisfied consumers, but I'm glad it worked out well for myself.

The fact of the matter is, whether it's Care Credit, Citibank, Chase or whoever, they're going to try to nickel and dime you anyway possible. No lending institution has the consumer's best interest at heart. The next honest banking institution of integrity that I come across will be the first.

I see that you are very much against Care Credit and I don't blame you. What alternatives do you suggest to Bobby?

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

Sean,

Sounds like you have smart friends.

Thanks for posting the links. This is the first I've seen of consumer complaints against Care Credit, everything else was just hearsay, which is why I suggested that Bobby research it himself. I don't doubt the experiences of the dissatisfied consumers, but I'm glad it worked out well for myself.

The fact of the matter is, whether it's Care Credit, Citibank, Chase or whoever, they're going to try to nickel and dime you anyway possible. No lending institution has the consumer's best interest at heart. The next honest banking institution of integrity that I come across will be the first.

I see that you are very much against Care Credit and I don't blame you. What alternatives do you suggest to Bobby?

Corvettester

Alternatives:

1) Save up an pay it off in full like I did, pretty much avoid other bs

2) Get a credit card 0% for the year or so, pay it off before the time is up, take advantage of those REWARD points, take a look at CHASE Sapphire and CITIBANK 0% APR cards, and make sure the penalty isn't an interest rate over 9.99% (that is still high but better than that bogus 29% or higher APR on that personal loan by care credit or other personal loans)

3) Work with the surgeon, some surgeons do give financing if you have really good credit, and some can do it for that 0% APR, I don't know if any hair transplant surgeon does this, but for expensive dental procedures, I did get it done that way.

4) Sell your car

5) If you own a home, get an equity based loan or something for the transplant

6) Go international with your transplant needs to save money if you need to

..7 .....8...........9...............

10) Take a chance and use that CareCredit loan or other similar loan service but make sure you pay them off well in advance of their monthly due date like 20 days before or something to not risk any issues with them, but read their complaints first before you take this route

:cool:

corvettester, There is nothing wrong with haggling on pricing no matter what you are buying, especially if money is tight, which it is for a lot of folks these days. As I already suggested, what's most important is not going to a doctor simply because they offer "cheap" prices.

On a side note: When I went to MHR in New York the very aggressive sales guy quoted me $7 graft and tried to book me in for surgery for the next day because some visiting "Top Surgeon" was in town. He literally put a contract and a pen in front of me on the desk during the consult. Talk about disgusting..... The next guy I went to see was Joseph Karamikian who seemed like a real human being and was priced far lower. I had no idea about HTN at the time and was clueless about HTs so I went with what seemed the lesser of two evils.

Edited by hairthere

Dr. Rahal is even cheaper than these 3 doctors in NYC. Ottawa is very very close to NYC, why not go there and have it done with the best. Some travels to him all the way from Australia.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Alternatives:

1) Save up an pay it off in full like I did, pretty much avoid other bs

2) Get a credit card 0% for the year or so, pay it off before the time is up, take advantage of those REWARD points, take a look at CHASE Sapphire and CITIBANK 0% APR cards, and make sure the penalty isn't an interest rate over 9.99% (that is still high but better than that bogus 29% or higher APR on that personal loan by care credit or other personal loans)

3) Work with the surgeon, some surgeons do give financing if you have really good credit, and some can do it for that 0% APR, I don't know if any hair transplant surgeon does this, but for expensive dental procedures, I did get it done that way.

4) Sell your car

5) If you own a home, get an equity based loan or something for the transplant

6) Go international with your transplant needs to save money if you need to

10) Take a chance and use that CareCredit loan or other similar loan service but make sure you pay them off well in advance of their monthly due date like 20 days before or something to not risk any issues with them, but read their complaints first before you take this route

Sean,

No offense, but I don't think much of your advice...

I fail to see the difference between putting it on a credit card versus a financing service account such as Care Credit. Every credit card that I've ever used has had steep penalties for late payments such as fees or increased interest rates that exceed 10%. Credit card companies are no more noble than loan servicing companies and are often part and parcel of the same parent company. There really isn't any difference, in my opinion.

Do you really think it's wise to take out and equity loan on your home, refinance or get a second mortgage for an HT? I mean, if you can't pay off a simple credit card or loan service payment on time, both of which are unsecured debt, why on earth would you put your home at risk? Quite frankly, that is terrible advice and a disaster waiting to happen. I don't understand how anyone could suggest such a reckless idea.

Sell your car? Really? Does he even have a car? Unless he lives in NYC, how will he get to work each day, run errands, go out with friends, etc? Again, I think that is horrible advice....

Good luck finding an HT doc that offers private financing himself. I'm not saying that there isn't one out there, but I've never heard of it. The typical HT is about 10x as expensive as a typical dental procedure, so I really don't think it's tenable comparison...

Saving money in advance is reasonable. Lot's of people do that. However, if he can get approved for a credit card or loan service, then why not go ahead with the HT and then start making payments because he will be losing time saving when he could be growing new hair! If done properly, as I did, he won't pay the credit company a penny!

Going international is sound advice, but he specifically asked for NY doctors and I don't blame him. I have always argued that location is important and personally has been a great benefit and relief in my experience. It'd be different if he lived in Montana or Jamaica, however, I believe Bobby lives in NY.

Again, I'd suggest that if Bobby is even a candidate for an HT, which I'm not yet sure he is, that he save up as much as possible and put the rest on a credit card or loan service plan with 0% interest for the first year and no early payment penalties. If any 29 year old isn't responsible enough to make minimum monthly payments on time, then I fail to see how he could be disciplined enough to save 15k for a procedure in the first place. Just saying....

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

Dr. Rahal is even cheaper than these 3 doctors in NYC. Ottawa is very very close to NYC, why not go there and have it done with the best. Some travels to him all the way from Australia.

True, Rahal is a great surgeon and he has very competitive prices.

When I consulted with him, he quoted me at $4 per graft, the same as True & Dorin. The only difference is that there is the damned VAT which is 12% if I'm not mistaken. There is no tax on medical procedures in NY. So with the tax and the travel expenses of flying to Ottawa, it would have been more expensive.

Either way, Rahal is worth it.

Corvettester

Regarding Care Credit: As corvettester points out, it's no different than any other low/zero interest credit card. Just pay off the balance before your introductory offer and make sure to make your monthly payments. Fail to do so and you will incur fees and a much higher rate. I have used it twice and was never penalized for paying off the balance early. For my last HT I used AMEX as Sean suggested and racked up some points which I then converted to cash to pay off some of the balance.

Sean,

No offense, but I don't think much of your advice...

I fail to see the difference between putting it on a credit card versus a financing service account such as Care Credit. Every credit card that I've ever used has had steep penalties for late payments such as fees or increased interest rates that exceed 10%. Credit card companies are no more noble than loan servicing companies and are often part and parcel of the same parent company. There really isn't any difference, in my opinion.

Do you really think it's wise to take out and equity loan on your home, refinance or get a second mortgage for an HT? I mean, if you can't pay off a simple credit card or loan service payment on time, both of which are unsecured debt, why on earth would you put your home at risk? Quite frankly, that is terrible advice and a disaster waiting to happen. I don't understand how anyone could suggest such a reckless idea.

Sell your car? Really? Does he even have a car? Unless he lives in NYC, how will he get to work each day, run errands, go out with friends, etc? Again, I think that is horrible advice....

Good luck finding an HT doc that offers private financing himself. I'm not saying that there isn't one out there, but I've never heard of it. The typical HT is about 10x as expensive as a typical dental procedure, so I really don't think it's tenable comparison...

Saving money in advance is reasonable. Lot's of people do that. However, if he can get approved for a credit card or loan service, then why not go ahead with the HT and then start making payments because he will be losing time saving when he could be growing new hair! If done properly, as I did, he won't pay the credit company a penny!

Going international is sound advice, but he specifically asked for NY doctors and I don't blame him. I have always argued that location is important and personally has been a great benefit and relief in my experience. It'd be different if he lived in Montana or Jamaica, however, I believe Bobby lives in NY.

Again, I'd suggest that if Bobby is even a candidate for an HT, which I'm not yet sure he is, that he save up as much as possible and put the rest on a credit card or loan service plan with 0% interest for the first year and no early payment penalties. If any 29 year old isn't responsible enough to make minimum monthly payments on time, then I fail to see how he could be disciplined enough to save 15k for a procedure in the first place. Just saying....

Corvettester

Cmon man, your taking things way out of proportion.

Im only saying what I said using CareCredit due to some people I know having issues with them, he can use it if he wants to but really be on top of the game to pay back that company not to get screwed over. Some people have good experiences and some don't as you saw from those links I posted. I didn't use the service, I was about to consider it as an option, but instead saved up and paid my procedure in FULL due to risks and worries.

Yes, some credit cards may offer lower APR penalties than carecredit and other loans. But as HairThere mentioned, it maybe a good option to rack up those points. ChaseSapphire offers 0% apr, no foreign transaction fees and offers 50,000 REWARD points bonus if you use it in the first 3 months and by spending $3,000 I believe, that might be something to think about.

By the way, that whole equity idea was a third option even BILL the moderator mentioned in another post in a way to pay for a transplant.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/147769-financing.html

I think he gives good advice on the forums, but I guess you think it is a reckless idea given by me and him. It's an option if you fear somehow you may end up with 29%+ apr on the personal loan or if you do not qualify for such personal loans either.

As far as finding a doctor even for a dental procedure with 0% financing, well my procedure was about $6,000 and I got 0% on it, so I am just saying, I don't know what docs do this for transplants but maybe some can, who knows.

Do you get commission from CareCredit by signing people up or work for the clinic you got your procedure done from or got a free procedure or something? Seriously, it is being projected like that after reading your posts more and more and you analyzing results of patients that are not satisfied in such detail. I notice Tru & Dorin are CareCredit registered doctors. http://www.carecredit.com/doctorlocator/True_and_Dorin_Medical_Group/Cosmetic/Hair_Restoration_%28Replacement%29/10017

Read this very important article,

Consumer Reports details medical care credit crisis (Chatham Journal)

I think I can end this back and forth and end this discussion right here and make you happy by just saying

"go to True and Dorin and get that carecredit loan and get a procedure done"

Or I can say,

check out other doctors on this site as well and see if they are willing to negotiate, because I do think negotiation is possible as Hairthere also suggested, there are some doctors that will cater to your needs. There is nothing wrong with negotiation. If something can be the price of a used car or a new car, then I think negotiation is valid. I mean come on. Negotiation is a part of life. It may not work on all consumer products such as ones by APPLE, but for a service, it is very possible.

By the way, I got a transplant by Rahal, and that whole VAT thing, if you are an out of town patient, out of country etc etc. The travel discount he offers goes against it. AND i really don't think Dr. Rahal will find negotiation offensive just as other docs wouldn't. He will try to cater to your needs as much as he can and is able to. Yes, his prices are very good. That whole "PRICE" thing was one of the major factors why I went to him as well as the quality of work.

I've even seen Dr. Feller assist a patient on here that had financial issues. He worked with that patient and his results are on here. That is outstanding. So, some doctors are WILLING to work and help patients. If you talk to the doctor, negotiate, tell them what is up, you may be able to work something out.

You got a point in saying travel costs may be a factor to consider (just as hair transplant costs are a point to consider), but I think if you live in NJ or NY it isn't that bad of a trip to Canada either. I drove from NJ so I paid for gas, took some food with me and I got some food there, paid 60 a night for 4 nights at the Foxbar guesthouse, but there was a major plus point, I got daily cleanings and care everyday from Dr. Rahal's clinic, another guy was there for 2 weeks, and he was getting a cleaning done daily basically. Patient care even drove to the guesthouse to check up on a patient when they called and even checked me out in the process to see how I was doing. Such service is something to consider if you are paying big bucks for a procedure.

Edited by Sean

Im only saying what I said using CareCredit due to some people I know having issues with them, he can use it if he wants to but really be on top of the game to pay back that company not to get screwed over.

By the way, that whole equity idea was a third option even BILL the moderator mentioned in another post in a way to pay for a transplant.

I think he gives good advice on the forums, but I guess you think it is a reckless idea given by me and him. It's an option if you fear somehow you may end up with 29%+ apr on the personal loan or if you do not qualify for such personal loans either.

Sean,

If you don’t qualify for personal loans or credit cards then that should be setting off alarams bells! You are not credit worthy. Obviously, you have bad credit and cannot manage your finances properly. Therefore, you should especially not risk putting an HT on a secured debt, such as a home or car. This is common sense.

Do you understand what secured debt is? It means that if you can't pay, you lose your home. With unsecured debt you simply ruin your credit score and may end up in court, but it's usually settled outside of court for a lesser amount.

I don’t care what Bill says about it. This is personal finance 101. You should never put an elective, non-life-threatening procedure against your home. That is simply reckless advice and in all honesty, probably the all-time worst advice I have ever seen given on the HTN.

Moreover, I don’t understand how you consider paying your bills on time as being “on the top of your game.” It’s basic personal budgeting. If you’re living paycheck to paycheck, then you shouldn’t be getting an HT on credit in the first place because there are just too many unexpected accidents/ illnesses in life that can ruin you financially. The last thing you want to have to worry about is losing your home due to your HT.

By the way, it’s not getting “screwed over” when you knowingly and willingly enter into a contract, violate the contract and then suffer the consequences. I'm not defending the predatory practices of the banking/credit industry either, but nobody forces anyone to use their services.

Furthermore, I do not understand how any ethical physician would knowingly accept a patient who put his house on the line for an HT. That screams Body Dismorphic Disorder, which is when a person becomes so obsessed with his or her alleged defect that they lose all perspective and rational thought. Here is the link to a thread I started on it recently: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/162461-body-dysmorphic-disorder-syndrome.html

Again, putting an HT on secured credit debt such as one's home or car is the worst thing you can do. It's reckless and irresponsible for anyone to suggest it as a viable option for financing any elective procedure, such as an HT. I can imagine that only a true shill with a vested interest in making a sale at any price would suggest such a dangerous idea.

Corvettester

Do you get commission from CareCredit by signing people up or work for the clinic you got your procedure done from or got a free procedure or something? Seriously, it is being projected like that after reading your posts more and more and you analyzing results of patients that are not satisfied in such detail. I notice Tru & Dorin are CareCredit registered doctors.

Sean,

Your insinuation that I am compensated from Care Credit is a desperate attempt at backtracking from your own vacuous and reckless advice, not to mention it's quite insulting. All I said was that I used Care Credit and it worked out well for me. I even qualified my statements with a caveat to the community that there have been valid complaints against Care Credit. So what, am I to not mention my personal experience?

What about all the posters touting the benefits of Propecia? Are you going to accuse them of receiving compensation as well? God knows, I've seen more complaints about the side effects of Propecia than I have the failings of Care Credit.

Or those that use Nizoral or Rogain? Are they disingenuous shills promoting a dangerous, unproven product? Is Dr. Rahal's rep, Mattj, a shill for so frequently recommending Propecia to patients and HTN members?

Just listen to yourself!

By your own criteria, your arguments invalidate themselves! You make absolutely no sense whatsoever. I think you’re just having a hard admitting what an idiotic idea it is to put one’s home or car on the line for an HT, hence the backtracking...

Nobody needs an HT. Everyone needs a home, and most need a car to commute to work so as to afford a home. Again, this is probably the all-time worst advice that I have ever witnessed on the HTN, a disaster waiting to happen, and it’s coming from you, Sean.

...I think negotiation is valid. I mean come on. Negotiation is a part of life. It may not work on all consumer products such as ones by APPLE, but for a service, it is very possible.

Aside from educational discounts and philanthropic work, there is a reason that Apple doesn't negotiate on price. If you can't understand that, and draw the obvious logical inference in regard to hair transplantation, then I don't think that there is anything left for us to discuss. Let's just agree to disagree...

Corvttester

Sean,

Your insinuation that I am compensated from Care Credit is a desperate attempt at backtracking from your own vacuous and reckless advice, not to mention it's quite insulting. All I said was that I used Care Credit and it worked out well for me. I even qualified my statements with a caveat to the community that there have been valid complaints against Care Credit. So what, am I to not mention my personal experience?

What about all the posters touting the benefits of Propecia? Are you going to accuse them of receiving compensation as well? God knows, I've seen more complaints about the side effects of Propecia than I have the failings of Care Credit.

Or those that use Nizoral or Rogain? Are they disingenuous shills promoting a dangerous, unproven product? Is Dr. Rahal's rep, Mattj, a shill for so frequently recommending Propecia to patients and HTN members?

Just listen to yourself!

By your own criteria, your arguments invalidate themselves! You make absolutely no sense whatsoever. I think you’re just having a hard admitting what an idiotic idea it is to put one’s home or car on the line for an HT, hence the backtracking...

Nobody needs an HT. Everyone needs a home, and most need a car to commute to work so as to afford a home. Again, this is probably the all-time worst advice that I have ever witnessed on the HTN, a disaster waiting to happen, and it’s coming from you, Sean.

Aside from educational discounts and philanthropic work, there is a reason that Apple doesn't negotiate on price. If you can't understand that, and draw the obvious logical inference in regard to hair transplantation, then I don't think that there is anything left for us to discuss. Let's just agree to disagree...

Corvttester

Corvettetester, you are really taking it out of proportion, there is no backtracking but you are making it seem as if there is. You are being vicious about it. I think every doctor has mentioned Rogaine or Propecia as two other proven remedies to combat hairloss. I don't know what Mattj suggests or doesn't or why you mention him in your post, nor have I mentioned anyone being a shill, but I can tell you he and other people from other clinics represent their clinics and clinics they have gone to really well on these forums, a quality patients look for. I can understand that T&D offers carecredit so you are pushing it as a possible option and that's fine. The best advice I can give to the OP is to go to your place of transplantation Tru & Dorin and get carecredit to pay for the procedure.

People be ready to face the wrath of corvettetester if you so happen to speak without praise or question anything because you will be cross examined and questioned in the end. I think I just realized that.

OP, Do your research and good luck with whoever you go with. Get price quotes from as many recommended doctors in NY etc. Pick the one with the best price, service, and willing to cater to your needs. Again, there is nothing wrong with negotiating. It is just added competition for doctors in the industry.

CT - If I did not know any better, I would think that you are suggesting that if someone elects to pay for a HT using a home equity loan that they have BDD :)

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

CT - If I did not know any better, I would think that you are suggesting that if someone elects to pay for a HT using a home equity loan that they have BDD :)

Can't Decide,

I'm glad you know better. One thing you may not know about me though is that I work in real estate. Perhaps now you can understand why I am so passionate about people not leveraging their homes for consumption spending.

I'm sure you follow the news. How many cases have you seen about people taking out loans against their homes to fund shopping sprees, exotic vacations, new cars, consumer goods, cosmetic surgery, etc... and then come the hard times and ultimately foreclosure.

A full head of hair is meaningless to a homeless man.

Corvettester