Day 14 Pics - Umar 3000 FUE

Abedogg

I've updated my weblog with Day 14 pics.

My head is not looking any better. I have a big work dinner tomorrow and I'll probably have to tell anybody that asks about it. Fun...

The redness is the worst part at this point. I can't wait to get to two or three months.

Abe

Had 3k With Umar on Feb 16, 2009

My Hair Loss Website

Did you ever look into dermablend? I've heard a few people say it covers reddish tint well. Since you're only 2 weeks out it's probably too early, but maybe in another month or two?

GL...I think I'd just cop to it in this spot, too; confidently say you got some "cool, new procedure done that re-establishes hairlines" or w/e...

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

It looks like very clean work. Nice hairline design. Good luck and hope you will get good yield from this FUE procedure.

Thanks for sharing your result. I will be eagerly follow your progress.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Abedogg,

Work looks good! Is there a reason besides the obvious "I dont want a scar" that you went with FUE over FUT? Just asking because that procedure must have cost you and arm and a leg and FUT is proven to have higher yields than FUE.

Either way I think in 9-12 month you are going to see quite an improvement. Good luck!

Dakota - I didn't want the scar and wanted the option of keeping my hair short if I want to in the future. Plus - I figure a transplant will last your life, so many wasn't a big obstacle.

Its also not a proven fact that FUT results in higher yeilds than FUE. FUT with a bad surgeon will have poor yeilds and FUE will as well. There is probably more risk with FUE of transection, etc.

Spex - Thanks! being patient is the tough part.

My Hair Loss Website

Its also not a proven fact that FUT results in higher yeilds than FUE. FUT with a bad surgeon will have poor yeilds and FUE will as well. There is probably more risk with FUE of transection, etc.

If, as you wrote, there is more risk with transection with FUE, then FUE will result with lower yield. Simple deduction.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

There is more risk in the hands of a surgeon who doesn't know what they are doing.

There may definitely be less yield with fue but I know it hasn't been 'proven.'

Simple deduction doesn't prove anything. There needs to be a study.

Abe

My Hair Loss Website

Abedogg,

a friendly word of advice for you: don't piss against the wind.

you are in minority here and you'll get chewed to pieces, so just stay humble and let the results speak for themselves. hopefully your final outcome will silence some of the most vocal anti fue critics in here.

but let me tell you this, if your 3K result turns out to be disappointment, i'll be joining the band wagon F/T and will be among the first ones screaming "FUE SUX" on every thread whether it be necessery or not.

Very few (if any) veterans here are anti-FUE; they (myself included) just vehemently oppose doctors who deliver inferior results -- especially inferior results that are stemming from outrageous self-promotion and hype. I'm not singling out Umar, either, as it's basically been a fight vs. Armani trying to become the Bosley of FUE while royally screwing an ocean of young guys.

Right now, in this era, and particularly in the sector of information forums, FUE may very well be the public's enemy #1. It is not the clear as day butchers of years past who gave deformative plugs that are the main foes standing against patients' making informed decisions and getting proper results; rather, FUE has been hijacked by savvy and shrewd charlatans and hype-fiends delivering varying degrees of inferior results, and, almost univerisally, outrageously poor transparency to patients.

Theoretically, FUE yield can be equal to FUT -- and it can certainly be superior than FUT depending upon the doctor. However, no doctor as proven w/ any degree of certainty that the very certain forces working against the FUE procedure itself have been solved. That said, the proof is in the pudding, and if quality results are consistently delivered -- even without true transparency -- it would make many a believer out of many a skeptic.

FUE vs. FUT yield aside, there is also the debate over taking donor hair outside of the traditional safe zone and from areas susceptible to BHT (e.g. the nape and temples).

No matter what, though, a glorious result for Abedogg would be particularly awesome. Re: HTs...not much would make me happier than a doctor who has mastered mega-session FUE, and can apply aggressively to newfound zones of donor hair.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Glajo:

I hope you will get great result on your next FUE procedure. I also agree with you that strip for only 200 grafts is questionable.

Note that the permanent shock loss you experienced rarely occurs. This is part of the risk of any HT, and it is usually beyond the control of a doctor.

Low yield from FUE on the other hand, tends to occur much more frequently. This does not mean that spectacular results can not be achieved with FUE. I have never seen a well documented web log of a FUE procedure that resulted in a spectacular result. That is why I am hoping that Abedogg will get a great result and i will follow his progress closely.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Low yield from FUE on the other hand, tends to occur much more frequently.

it's the statements like these that are pissing me off!!! how so latinlotus?? can you point me to the evidence. i know there were few bad fue jobs here and there before and that's about it. there are people getting fue transplants done every day and one would hope to see more of these bad jobs (that you and others rave about) coming out to surface if in fact it really is that bad like you paint it to be. i know, the counter is they get silenced by free touchup or they don't know these forums exist, but sorry i don't buy that, and besides i'm not even talking about Armani here. i'm talking world wide people. i don't give a two flying ****s about Armani or Umar or any other fue doc out there but let's be real here for once. when i keep reading one and the same thing every day over and over again, in almost every thread, i get quite annoyed to be perfectly honest. let's see those "low yield" jobs once and for all. where are they? i'd love to see them and read about their concerns from their point of view. reading same comments/stories from the guys that have been drinking kool-aid for far too long is just getting ridiculous. same goes for the guys that already went with the strip procedure and now are kool-aid drinkers themselves, for the lack of the better term, just to vindicate their decision. don't get me wrong guys, i don't blame you, the fact remains, it's still relatively new procedure. and i happen to be a big fan of. so please someone point me to few links with concrete proof (18 months post-op) where the fue job was done so bad to the point so when i see it i'll puke and say to myself: wow this thing IS really that bad, or get that shit out of here, or was i stupid for falling for the sales tactics, or how come i was so blind not to see this before. you see what i'm saying? you see what i'm getting frustrated with?

sorry for the rant guys but love me or hate me i don't really care, but i had to get it of my chest. just remember, i'm looking to get a HT done in the near future, so i just want to be 100% sure that fue is 100% not for me. i see more and more excellent looking fue jobs that are coming out lately. not the other way around. you can write whatever you want after you read this as i have seen it and heard it all before. so just save yourself some time and show me the pics to persuade me otherwise and then we can talk. all talk and no brick just doesn't cut it for me anymore and it's getting old and lame quite frankly.

there is one guy that just joined this forum today called fussfue or something like that, so let's see and read about his experience. so that's one. few more to go to convince me otherwise.

for the record i'll be waiting for Abedog's results before i pull the trigger. so Abe my man i'm every step of the way with you my brother. those 3Ks better make you look like Elvis or ......

Settle down . Your too emotional icon_wink.gif

Are you drinking the fue Kool-aid / haha

Well Ill admit Im starting to sip the kool-aid.

As of now fue isnt for everybody imo .

There are many factors why but that seems to be changing at a slow pace.

Theres one factor that will never change and that is how easily the fue graft extract .

Some guys just pop out like grapes and some practically need to be ripped out .

Grafts are very delicate and the more stress and damage done to them during extraction + handling is a cause for poor growth

I have seen alot of poor growth fue All you have to do is search. Heck guys have sent me pics of their poor growth .

Did you ever see those guys on hlh before they got deleted.

Guys dont like to post poor results from strip or fue so its really hard to determine anything.

On the other hand Ive seen some really nice fue results.

Ive had fue and I like it . I like the growth and the recovery .

Its a tough call but for consistency & density strip wins everytime but fue wins every other category and seems to be giving density a small run for its money. Hopefully SOON that will change

My advice is to research and pick a few clinics and then have them show you 50 fue pics before even considering fue from them. Then ask to see 2 or more patients

I feel there is only 3 maybe 4 clinics worth looking into if your set on fue.

My clinic who are among the best at strip are doing a 1000 graft and a 1500 graft fue session.

I trust them more then my momma and if they are seeing the fue future then I know I can and will.

From what I have determined thus far with blowing pics up on a huge monitor is that the top fue clinics results are about the same as the average possibly slightly above average strip clinics results.

Thats not bad considering where we were two years ago.

I would say to all strip clinic that they ought to add fue to their arsenal before they get blown away from the clinic that offer both

Wow - I didn't expect such a response.

Mr GQ - I have a red head that looks like shit and I've been wearing a hat going on three weeks. I'm certainly staying humble. If you read any of my other posts I have given truly unbiased reports on my experience. Check out the experience/review section on my experience with Umar.

If you read others reviews, like chargedup's recent review, you will see that its post like those that are written for the docs benefit and leads people to poor choices.

Also - from a scientific perspective I'm completely right. I would definitely say there is lots of anecdotal evidence of poor results with FUE - if there is a conclusive study please show it to me.

But most educated patients (patients on these boards) are not going to Boseley and the other hacks out there for their strips. And they are not posting their poor strip results either.

Strip has definitely been mastered by the greats like H&W and Rahal, etc. FUE is getting there. IMO Armani doing over 3k fue grafts in one day is part of the reason for some of his poor results. Umar did 1600 grafts on me in one 14 hour day (I got there at 7 am and left at 9pm).

Thanatopsis - I agree with your post.

Glajo - I think your point is that FUE has a place in HT. I agree. I went into this procedure and paid more for it with full knowledge that I there is a good chance I may not have as good a yeild as I would have with strip. But the benefit of not having a scar and maintaining the option of short hair in the future outweighed the benefit of possible (even probable) lower yeild. (i've been on these boards for years as an observer).

Please grow Please - I think that just like with strip there will eventually be a select few docs that master the FUE technique and consistently get good results. I don't think there has been enough time yet to refine the procedure and enough results to say any one doc has mastered it. But I'm confident there will be.

And - Guys I will definitely keep you updated regularly. It was many of you veterans that helped me make my decision. These boards are addictive too.

Abe

My Hair Loss Website

I'm in surgical sales and I'm in the OR all day for a living. Some docs use slightly different instruments and slightly different techniques and acheive better results.

Just recently, a gall bladder or an appendix, even placing a lap band, can now be done through the belly button. The only patient benefit is cosmesis (lack of already small scars and possibly less post-op pain). But patients are driving out of state to doctors that perform these procedures. Most doctors have not yet been trained on this procedure or have done it once or twice and realized that the procedure is tougher and takes longer. Their response has been that this isn't a safe procedure or that it doesn't make a big enough difference to add more time to a case. But to the patients that have had it and request it there is definitely a difference.

In a few years most general and bariatric surgeons will be doing these procedures through the belly button. In part, because companies like mine are spending millions to create new products that will make this procedure easier. But also because as more docs master the technique, the procedure becomes easier to tackle. But there will always be naysayers.

As FUE evolves maybe more docs will be willing to share their technique and experiences. Eventually all of the naysayers retire.

Abe

My Hair Loss Website

Mr. GQ

How does the FUE cool-aid taste like? Contrary to you, for which strip is not option to you because you are so afraid of the scar, I have no problem considering FUE. Actually my first consultation was with an Armani's rep. During over one year of research, and spending (wasting) countless of hours consulting with various doctors, reading medical articles, participating in various web forums, I am not yet convinced about FUE result, and that is why I went with a strip HT. Do you seriously think I like to have a strip scar? I would love for FUE to deliver consistent results, but so far I have not seen it.

It is not up to me to do the homework for you and show you the proof of bad FUE results. Do some works and you will find it yourself. Actually, you will find lots of bad strip results as well from bad doctors. The point is, can you show me some good, consistent and well documented FUE results? There are many good strips results out there, just check for any patients of Hasson, Wong, Shapiro, Rahal, Feller, Cooley, Keene etc??¦In fact, good results from these Coalition doctors are the norm, not a miss and hit like FUE results. It is also the reason why a FUE doctor is not recommended on this forum.

At this point, regardless of what I say or show you, it would not matter since after drinking the FUE cool-aid (or the 'I-am-afraid-of-a-strip-scar Cool-Aid), you would never consider a strip HT. You just want to hear what you want to hear and it is a psychology condition called 'selective perception'.

Here is an interesting thread regarding FUE/strip yield by dr. Feller who does both FUE and strip. This is how I base my opinion.

http://hair-restoration-info.c...241065493#2241065493

Abedogg:

Sorry for this FUE/strip discussion. I hope you will get great result.

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Funny, I see a guessing range of 50-100% yield (assuming he means worse with bigger sessions) and gives a guess of 85% (which as he says was not calculated). Not much science here at all in my opinion, just lots of guessing, thus I don't think it is fact at all - just something you deduced and have an opinion on which is fair. Thus, it seems both positions are relying on extremely weak data. That is my opinion

Originally posted by latinlotus:

Mr. GQ

How does the FUE cool-aid taste like? Contrary to you, for which strip is not option to you because you are so afraid of the scar, I have no problem considering FUE. Actually my first consultation was with an Armani's rep. During over one year of research, and spending (wasting) countless of hours consulting with various doctors, reading medical articles, participating in various web forums, I am not yet convinced about FUE result, and that is why I went with a strip HT. Do you seriously think I like to have a strip scar? I would love for FUE to deliver consistent results, but so far I have not seen it.

It is not up to me to do the homework for you and show you the proof of bad FUE results. Do some works and you will find it yourself. Actually, you will find lots of bad strip results as well from bad doctors. The point is, can you show me some good, consistent and well documented FUE results? There are many good strips results out there, just check for any patients of Hasson, Wong, Shapiro, Rahal, Feller, Cooley, Keene etc??¦In fact, good results from these Coalition doctors are the norm, not a miss and hit like FUE results. It is also the reason why a FUE doctor is not recommended on this forum.

At this point, regardless of what I say or show you, it would not matter since after drinking the FUE cool-aid (or the 'I-am-afraid-of-a-strip-scar Cool-Aid), you would never consider a strip HT. You just want to hear what you want to hear and it is a psychology condition called 'selective perception'.

Here is an interesting thread regarding FUE/strip yield by dr. Feller who does both FUE and strip. This is how I base my opinion.

http://hair-restoration-info.c...241065493#2241065493

Abedogg:

Sorry for this FUE/strip discussion. I hope you will get great result.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

That extremely weak data is from a doctor that not only does fue but has also designed and patented tools for fue extraction.

That and limited pictures is all we have to go on.

If I was looking for fue in a first session I would wait at least another year or two to see if things evolve.

I think it will though but right now I wouldnt be willing to pay the high fue costs for the inconsistency unless its a small session to see how good of a candidate you are.

I do applaud doctors that are trying to perfect fue.

A strip surgery is so easy for a doc since he just removes the strip ,makes the incision then goes and eats donuts.

When doing fue unless your Armani the doctor does all the extractions

Dr. Umar may very well be the most intriuging doc out there. Between his BHT, mega-session FUE, and confidence in going outside of the "traditional safezone" he represents a tremendous amount of hope to many, many people. If he can deliver in these areas it equals a *major* breakthrough -- overall donor harvesting, quality of donor harvesting, and the option of eschewing a strip procedure altogether.

Apparently, he's created a rotary device to do the extractions, which, IMO, is prolly a necessity in truly doing mega-session FUE consistently. But if he doesn't want to dislose any info on it, which it seems he does not, it really is honest and transparent people like Abe who will pave the way for more.

My 2 -- err, 4 cents. icon_smile.gif Keep up the good updates!

-----------