Red blotches on scalp help!

Jackthehat1

You should see your dermatologist and show him or her your scalp. Is it burning and itchy? The redness could be from the medication you're using and if it is you should probably stop usage as you're having a bad reaction to it. Your dermatologist should take a look if you have any other skin conditions on your scalp such as psoriasis or seborrhea, which could be aggravated when applying that medication.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

itching is common but it shouldn't be excessive and burning is not a good sign. How long have you been using it? If it's been a while and it's gotten worse it may be best to stop using it. I still would suggest seeing a dermatologist about the red spots. Not sure if you used propecia before but it may be worth switching over to, the results are usually better and you don't have to apply anything to your hair so it doesn't look greasy.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Jack,

I agree with hairupthere: schedule an appointment with a dermatologist as soon as you can. No one on the discussion forums can or will diagnose your issue, and it really needs to be evaluated by a licensed physician (preferably a dermatologist). Good luck! Keep us updated.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Jackthehat,

You sound like me! I tried Rogaine Foam for a month and my sensitive skin couldn't take it. I still get the occasional red blotches, scaling (psoriasis? eczema?) on my scalp. In fact, the day before my most recent HT, Dr. Paul noticed a couple on my scalp. He gave me a heavy dose of Prednisone the night before and it went away the next day before the surgery. Prednisone is effective but has some nasty sides. I was one it for over 2 months post-op. But he did say that these patches could affect growth.

So yeah, go see a dermatologist asap. But in the meantime, try some topical hydrocorstiones on 'em and see if that helps.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hey guys, thanks for all you responses, i wanted too eliminate a few opinions, due too my just coming out off a shed and im seeing really good re-growth sight through my scalp, especially on my right temple, which is good considering that side seems too be thinner than the left, and im a hundred percent sure it was the alcepin after liquid, iv stopped using it and my scalp feels fine with my red spots no more, that stuff must just be full off alcohol by the feel off it and it really didnt agree with my scalp, just thought id warn people about it if they decide too use it, i doubt its effectiveness anyway' once again thanks :)