Propecia Replacement? Or Should I Start Propecia?

Hey guys,

I've been perusing this website and discussion forum for the past year or so debating upon whether or not to get an HT and / or start meds.

Well, after seeing so many fantastic results, I think I've made up my mind to go for it. Unfortunately, I'm pretty iffy on whether or not to take meds.

Yes, I've read about all the potential side-effects and the likelihood of them. My hesitation is a little different though. Here is why...

Basically, my crown and midsection is pretty solid right now. I'm 32, NW3A, Caucasian and have little MPB in my family. I know that Propecia isn't really supposed to help with the frontal third that much.

I know that Propecia has been on the market for 15 years now and the way I see it is that shouldn't something else be coming along soon? I mean, if I understand correctly, Propecia wasn't even developed for hair loss in the first place. It was a sort of accident that they realized it helped with that.

So long as my midsection and crown hold for the next couple of years, is it reasonable to hold off on Propecia for a future, better drug, cloning or cure for hair loss?

Will it be too late before I realize that I've lost a lot of my midsection and crown? Is it worth the risk? Obviously, if I had any side-effects I would stop, but it seems to only happen in a few people.

What are my options?

Waiting for another drug is kind of risky, you have no idea how long it could take for them to even hit the market, and to my knowledge there isn't anything on the horizon. The side effects are quite rare and if you notice them you can stop the medication and you should return to normal within a few weeks. Rogaine is the only other medication out there, but I've seen better results with propecia. There is also vitamins and supplements like biotin, saw palmetto but again I've seen much better results with the medication, as well as rogaine. It would be a shame if your hair loss continued to recede in the hope that something else comes out, and for all that we know could have side effects as well. Cloning and a cure for hair loss is nowhere near fruition.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I understand your hesitation in taking the medications. I also would not want to take any meds unless I was sure that there would be a benefit. If you currently see no hair loss or thinning in the crown then waiting might be a liitle risky but reasonable. Certainly I would suggest starting meds if you see any signs of increased hair loss in the mid scalp or crown areas.

Getting on propecia was my first effective step in fighting hair loss. I wish I would have started it sooner. It's really not such a big deal to be on it. It felt like a big deal when I popped the first pill... after that it has become the easiest daily thing to do.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I have the same concerns. I actually had an allergic reaction to propecia last summer (rhinitis) which is still bothering me. I've been hesitant to try again despite the prescribing Dr tell me that the reaction wasn't due to propecia, even though it started right after I took it.

I wonder if anyone has thoughts on if it makes sense to even do a HT without taking meds? Or will it just mean that I'll have to go in for multiple ones throughout the years?

It doesn't matter that you're 32, there are 28 year olds who are Norwood 6s. You are risking it eventually, and you should be diagnosed by a doctor who can tell you what pattern he or she feels you are going to recede to. This is not something you have to take, but it will certainly help you in the long term.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks Hairupthere,

What I was trying to say is that there doesn't appear to be any pattern emerging. I've only lost my hairline and temples and some of my forelock. The midsection and crown are strong now. Almost no MPH in my family either, just one grandfather.

I'll be starting my consultations soon. As recommended by the community, I'm going to go see several doctors in the tri-state area and perhaps further if possible. I'll let you know what they say.

It's A LOT easier to keep what you have than to regrow hair. That being said, you'd be best off starting Finasteride. There is no to little proof that Saw Palmetto even affects DHT levels enough to amount to anything.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D