dr robert jones in Toronto

takeone

The best docs in Canada seem to be H&W and Rahal, and when it comes to HT surgery it pays to see the best. And I'm sure their prices are inline with Jones'.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Takeone

I live near Dr Jones but didnt use him for my repairs.... I did consult with him about 2 years ago, but passed.

There are a few Doctors in the GTA that you need to steer clear of...wish I did, but thats a hole other story. You have come to the right place for great info....take it all in.

Dont let travel come into play at all!!!

Here is a link to what Iam going through right now, also check out my blog by clicking just under my name...you dont need to make a mistake.

http://hair-restoration-info.c...21087683/m/106102244

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys,

I had my HT done with Dr. Jones in December of 2010. I have to admit that i was a bit lazy and didn't do my research as thoroughly as I should have and chose Dr. Jones based on his contribution to science and development of the therapeutic area. He had also published a free web book on Hair Loss that I thought was a nice touch. So I book a consult just to meet him and liked him right away. I kind of fell for the "so....how does the 14th look for your surgery date" pressure tactic and booked with him at that time. Also, i had sent in photos for a consult and he quoted me $10000.00. I was a NW 3A. After the consult he Charged $11000.00. I didn't say anything, I'm not sure why. It didn't seem right to haggle over something like this I guess.

I guess I should have thought something was up when his office informed me that full payment was required prior to the surgery. I did, briefly, kind of hesitate, then just figured that this is what all elective surgery procedures are like.

So I paid all up front and went in for my surgery.

It all happened very fast for me that morning. At one point he was designing my hairline, (not a lot of discussion) the next i was face down in the donut and he was freezing the donor area.

He's a very pleasant man and we chatted while he scaped me. I have to say that I did like him. He then set about making the incisions which took about 30 min or so.

Here's a thing. From what I've read the doc makes ALL the incisions. To the point that one post had a guy with a counter that the doc gave him to help count them as he made them. Well, after the transplant began, his nurse made more of the incisions. This also struck me as not quite right on a few levels. One, is she qualified to be doing that. 2. Did he not make enough in the first place and why not? Don't they do calculations on this type of thing. Checkin donor density with the length and width of the strip to see how many grafts they can get and then have them cut up. This seemed to me that he took out a hunk of hair without knowing exactly how many grafts that would yield and when there were more left over, he had her pack more in. Not a bad thing for sure, but makes me wonder if he just threw out a bunch of grafts that were excess! what a waste that would be!

Another "issue" was his technicians. They are Eastern Eurpoean (which I think are some of the hottest women in the world btw), and yammered on in either Yugoslavian or Latvian (not sure) all day. Gossiping and complaining. Not very professional to say the least. I'm not going to say that they weren't competent. Its just that i had expected a bit more professionalism.

However, at this point I'm thinking that this is how it is at all clinics so just went with it. Dr. Jones came in once to see how things were going and seemed please and then left again. It was a super long day, coming on 8pm when they were just finishing up. I had thought that Dr. Jones would have split long ago, but he was there and came into the room for a final look and told the girls about locking up the office.

We booked the suture removal that night and I went home.

Overall impression is pretty good when you have no frame of reference. As I reflected on the day, a few question marks came up.

I guess the biggest indicator will be in the resutls.It's been just over 1 month post op for me and from what i've read, i'm pretty typical with one exception.

The scabs all came off in about 10 days and I lost most of the transplanted hairs by week 3 or so. However, slightly different from what I've read, I have definitely seen new growth beginning at just under the 1 month mark. There are thick, stubbly hairs, as well as finer, thinner, longer hairs in the once bald area. This seems very fast to me from what i've read and came to expect. I was prepared to wait up to 6 months before seeing anything sprout up. Now i'm taking close up pictures of my scalp to track the growth. Is that obsessive?!? Oh well. i'm a sciene geek so this "experiement

is right up my alley!

As for my post op care to facilitate the early growth; Nioxin shampoo daily, Avodart, MWF, and 12.5% Minoxidil daily. Dr. Jones has this strength made for him by a local pharmacist and sells it out of his clinic for $90 for 100ml.

Anyway, I have to say that i haven't been treated badly by Jones, and I think my results will be good. I did have a lot of shock loss in the reciepient area. This may be a result of the lack of skill of his (or the nurses) incisions in that area, transecting my native follicles. Or I guess this sometimes just happens. My front forelock is over 50% thinner since the surgery. Not good, but i just think that it'll grow back. Sucks for now though.

So, what's my final recommendation on Dr. Jones? From what i've read about Dr. Rahal and what i've experienced from Dr. Jones. I'd go to Rahal. Again, this isn't to say Dr. Jones did anything wrong with me, its just that if you're going to do this, go to the best. I didn't feel that he was the best. Actually, if I had to have a second procedure and price wasn't a factor, I go with Rahal.

Always remember buddy, practical is different than theoritical, thats why ISHRS has 2 awards, Golden follical (practical-surgery results and outcome) and Platinum Follical (theory and research).. to me Dr Jones tends to be more a platimum award candidate. He talks so good in interviews and created his own concealers. but results wise, i dont think he is among the top with all respect to him. If you are from Canada, Then no comment, SWEATERHEAD already answered you.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Don't forget Dr. Simmons! He consistently posts outstanding results!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I think most Dr's that perform hair transplants full time are going to give consist good results. I dont think a hair transplant Dr wakes up in the morning thinking they are going to go to work today and perform the worse hair transplant possible . We live in the information age and IF a Dr dosent give it his or her best shot every day their reputation can and will be harmed. I sell to the medical field and I know not all Dr's are created equal some are better then others . People including Dr's are motivated by different things , Some Dr's its about the money, others want to give the best possible care to their patients as possible, costs are not as important , others want to use only tryed and proven methods . So as many posters have commented in chosing a Dr , its what makes you comfortable . On my recent hair procdure journey I went to see Dr Jones First , hearing the radio ads and going to his website and seeing he was on the news etc .....I found him to be business motivated first and Dr second , can he get great results ? I am sure he can ...To Sweaterhead - the way you described the procedure is typical , Dr's want to get paid weeks in advance , Dr is in out of the room as the techs do the graft placement , the price is in the range , perhaps a bit on the high side , you were there to 8:00pm meaning you likely got well over 3000 grafts ....I think alot has to do with what the patients expectations are as to how they view the Dr afterwards ......................all in all you should be fine .....I am sure every DR even the very best will have a percentage of patients that the results are not the greatest ......my 2 cents ...hope it puts you at ease ...I am 2 months out ..hope to see good results in the upcoming months

Thanks for the insights and reassurances Johnny1386. I agree with all that you said regarding Doctors and their motivations. Having worked for pharmaceutical companies for years now myself, I'm trained to look for those indicators too. I wish I had approached that consult like one of my calls!

Anyway, I think it will all be OK. I saw a sheet that had the graft breakdown on it. It was in the 3600 total range. It was definitley a long day. IF the final result is the growth of all the grafts that i saw planted in my head, it will be awesome. The angles all looked right and the grafts seemed to heal well and quickly. My major issue right now is just the shock loss to my existing front forelock. Oh well, nothing to do now but wait it out!

Good luck on your results too Johnnynumbers. Who did you end up going with for your HT? At 2 months are you seeing any growth yet?

Hang in there!

hello Sweaterhead, I went with Dr Cam Simmons in Toronto, After going to Dr Jones for a consult last fall was ready to book a date but being in technology I went on the internet found this discussion board , looked for good feedback on Ontario Dr's , met with Dr Simmons , he took alot of time in the consult to come up with a plan . etc.......as you likley know in the next few weeks you may feel a few things like ltchness, pimples, shockloss etc . My self I didnt have that many pimples , 1 or 2 at a time that were small......A lot of itchness ( perhaps with the dry winter weather ), some shockloss , " , growth starts around the 4th month forward . Right now my head feels "normal", feels like my hair is getting thicker.....

• 4 years later...
Could someone please give me Dr Cam Simmons contact information. Thanks

Just Google "Dr. Cam Simmons Hair Transplant" You'll find what you're looking for.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website