transplants from body hair

Hi,

I am considering getting hair transplant done on my scalp. Am currently on stage3 or 4 on Norwood scale. The point is: I have lot of hair on my body on chest, forearms, shoulders, legs and little on the back as well.

The question that I want to ask is: How good/bad, effective/ineffective are transplants from body hair? Would hair on my scalp grow like other existing hair or would they grow unpredictably? Also, is there a restriction that hair from a particular area (for example legs) cannot be used to transplant on scalp?

Please help.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Dippy

Hi,

I am considering getting hair transplant done on my scalp. Am currently on stage3 or 4 on Norwood scale. The point is: I have lot of hair on my body on chest, forearms, shoulders, legs and little on the back as well.

The question that I want to ask is: How good/bad, effective/ineffective are transplants from body hair? Would hair on my scalp grow like other existing hair or would they grow unpredictably? Also, is there a restriction that hair from a particular area (for example legs) cannot be used to transplant on scalp?

Please help.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Dippy

one thing i can say for sure is the hair will NOT change its characteristics..... legs hair will grow like leg hair(if it grows), chest hair like chest hair. it will not grow longer just cause its been moved. not to mention the fact that it takes thousands more BHT grafts to achieve the same look of density head hair provides...... IMO BHT should only be a last resort option(as of now) nobody and i mean NOBODY has proven with any consistancy that BHT can produce natural results...id think long and hard before you committe to putting body hair on your head. its hard enough to produce natural nice reults with GOOD YIELD using HEAD HAIR in stantard restorations.

BHT- may have a place in the HT field. but id be very carful with this decision. if you have head hair grafts and u want a HT id use those first... all the best

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

one thing i can say for sure is the hair will NOT change its characteristics

i read that book from Dr. Robert Jones called "The Complete Hair Replacement Guide" (advertised on his website) where he states that a chest hair or a leg hair can in fact change it's characteristic and grow up to 8-10 inches in length once transplanted to the head.

donno if that's the case for all of them hairs and mind you that the book didn't go into any more details other than what i said above.

yes i heard about that also GQ.... im not sure i buy it... id love to see visual evidence of it however. or some science on how a leg hair can change its natural growth cycle simply by being placed on ones head.... hey i wouldnt mind being proved wrong here, just like id like to believe BHT is a viable, NATURAL looking option in large numbers but from all ive seen on it, neither is the case.... BHT can be i slippery slope if you try to do too much IMO.

in any case your right i should not have used the words "i know for sure".... so......."IN MY HUMBLE OPINION the hair cannot change its characteristics, BHT blows and does not look natural even in the BEST cases ive seen.icon_wink.gif

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

There was a post recently on hair-changing characteristics, it seems some guys have experienced this.

Here's the link characteristics

Now, will pubic hair start growing like scalp hair? I can't see it, but maybe it changes somewhat, who knows - after some time it may indeed grow like scalp hair.

Quoted from the above link (Steve Gabel, M.D.)

I have done many eyebrow and eyelash transplants and the scalp hairs that I transplant into those areas do seem to take on the characteristics of eyebrow and eyelashes after sometime.

I'd say use your good hair on your head if you want to grow it out.

One man of African descent was interested in using BHT because he wanted to keep his hair nearly razored and not have the shine effect. I think it would look good shaved, but horrid if it was grown out.

I remember some scientist took his own PD cells and placed them in his wife's skin in the 80's. The ensuing follicle had his characteristics.

• 4 weeks later...

This is an interesting subject as I too believe BHT may be the only solution to repair my previous work. I have seen some examples on other forums/website's but no long-term results, suppose it's still in infancy.

I believe when body hair is transplanted into the scalp, it is done in the interior so as the hide its coarseness. Hair from the occiptal region is used for the hairline and anterior regions (as is conventional)...someone correct me if I am wrong.

take care...

Maxxy
will pubic hair start growing like scalp hair? I can't see it, but maybe it changes somewhat,

Maxxy,

Interesting point. I have thought about what it would be like to transplant hair from the gential regions to the scalp. I also wondered about the level of pain to be endured and the manner of extraction. I am inclined to believe that FUE type extraction would be done in such a case. The region of skin in this area is somewhat thin not so? with thin/lower levels of collagen...as least in the male.

Has such a procedure ever been attempted?

take care...

I'm not sure if hair has been taken from the crotch, but it has from the legs and other parts of the body. I'm also not sure if the hair in the crotch area is the same as the hair on the legs but surely both are pubic hair in a way - being that they only apear during or after puberty?

The pubic hair is sparse, so I'm sure such a transplant would always use FUE, if some form of strip was used - you'd be removing alot of skin for very little hair.

it makes no sense to use body hair if you have ample donor from the scalp. even the docs who practice bht use it mostly for repair and as a last resort. i have yet to see bht (even the successful cases in terms of growth) where it did not look like an unraveling brillo pad.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com