4 1/2 month pics from Altair's 7/23/04 procedure with Dr. Charles/1900 grafts

altair

I have just returned from my trip to south Florida to see Dr. Charles. On Friday I met with Dr. Charles and he outlined the game plan to correct the old procedure which I had undergone 16 yrs ago. There is no doubt that my case was very challenging. First, Dr. Charles would have to core out some of the old plug grafts and try to save the hair follicles from these plugs. On top of that, my donor area was very limited and I had extensive scarring in the donor area from the previous procedure. This would also reduce the amount of grafts available. The only discomfort I felt was during the initial anesthetic process which lasted about five minutes. I had no discomfort for the next six hours. It was very obvious that Dr. Charles and his staff are experts at this procedure. I was made to feel very much at ease and everyone was very professional. After it was all said and done, Dr. Charles was able to transplant about 1900 grafts in the area of the old HT even with my limited donor area, which was a surprise. To top it all off, Dr. Charles presented me with a FREE LaserComb as a gift after the procedure. I cannot express graditude to Dr. Charles and his staff for the care I received. I am now entering the long waiting period which everyone goes through. I will now try and post some before and after pics.

HT_013.jpg

HT_013.jpg

I have just returned from my trip to south Florida to see Dr. Charles. On Friday I met with Dr. Charles and he outlined the game plan to correct the old procedure which I had undergone 16 yrs ago. There is no doubt that my case was very challenging. First, Dr. Charles would have to core out some of the old plug grafts and try to save the hair follicles from these plugs. On top of that, my donor area was very limited and I had extensive scarring in the donor area from the previous procedure. This would also reduce the amount of grafts available. The only discomfort I felt was during the initial anesthetic process which lasted about five minutes. I had no discomfort for the next six hours. It was very obvious that Dr. Charles and his staff are experts at this procedure. I was made to feel very much at ease and everyone was very professional. After it was all said and done, Dr. Charles was able to transplant about 1900 grafts in the area of the old HT even with my limited donor area, which was a surprise. To top it all off, Dr. Charles presented me with a FREE LaserComb as a gift after the procedure. I cannot express graditude to Dr. Charles and his staff for the care I received. I am now entering the long waiting period which everyone goes through. I will now try and post some before and after pics.

HT_013.jpg

HT_013.jpg

Alair, Congratulations man!

Dr Charles did a great job! Your days of suffering are over and I am happy for you! Looks like you have a great hairline and what you had before is forever gone!

With out a doubt awesome! Again Congrats!

Thanks guys!

At this point I still do not know what to expect. I have not had a hair line in 18 yrs! I just wish that I had more donor hair for the crown because I could have sat in that chair for another four hours. Dr. Charles did a great job dealing with the old plugs. That was a big concern.

Guest balloonman

While you are much improved I am horrified and upset at the Dr's decision to excise and suture the large plug grafts at the hairline. First of all, they weren't that bad, when I say "that" bad I mean so bad as to be unable to keep and camoflauge them.

I have seen large plg grafts that are dense and filled with dozens or more hairs but, yours are softer and less dense than most and they could have easily been hidden with surrounding grafts.

Furthermore, he didn't bother to even place hair IN FRONT of the sutures so the scars will be apparent even after the final results are in and everything has healed.

I am happy for you and don't mean to rain on your parade but, without grafts in front of the hairline scars, you will be trading a thin line scar for an unnatural plug graft. Agreed, the scar is better but, the Dr should have used some common sense and tried to hide them.

Altair,

I was looking forward to seeing your first post! Looking awesome, man! From the looks of it, Dr. Charles has done an exceptionally fine job of restoring your hairline and, working with the 1900 graphs he could possibly harvest, has given you a look that is commensurate to a respectable thinning crown pattern. I think youre going to be MORE than pleased, man.

Better watch out though, I may be coming after that laser comb! heh heh heh j/k

Best of Luck and happy healing, man! Couldnt have gone to a more deserving person.

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Balloonman,

Interesting view you have there, however I'm going to have to give Dr. Charles the benefit of the doubt for a couple of reasons.

1) Dr. Charles was making the most use of a limited donor supply. To hide those plugs would require a very densely packed recipient area. As you can see, Altair recieved the 1900 graphs over a large area thus giving him a respectable coverage. If the doctor were to go lower and leave those old plugs alone, they would have been way more noticeable than the scars because the surrounding area would not have been suitably dense to camoflauge them.

2) The placement of the hairline at the old plugs was ingenious, IMO, because any higher (i.e. a more "mature" hairline) and the scars form the plugs would have been obvious. Any lower and the density issue of my first point would come more into play.

I think Dr. Charles did a fantastic job with a very unfortunate situation. I do see what you are saying, but Altair did not have the adequate donor supply suitable for a complete coverup.

Its easy to become overly skeptical after so much research. God knows, were all guilty of it, but you have to look at the whole picture sometimes.

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

balloon,

I had wondered that myself, but I do not have any knowledge in graft removal. I think maybe his tactic would not be even noticable if the doctor removed them a certain way. It is to obvious of notice, for a professional doctor not to take it into consideration.

No need for concern at this point, since we do not know the doctors technic. But it is a valid concern.

Regarding the front plug removal, Dr. Charles did leave at least one or two hairs in the old plugs. It is very hard to see this in the photo. He did not want to bring the hairline down any lower. Only time will tell if this will be an issue. I will keep everyone updated.

I don't believe you can ever camo plugs. I have 4 to 9 hair coupled fu's. I had 2 corrective surgeries to try to hide them. They are still noticable. 2 doctors told me core them. One doctor claims you will see any type of mixed graft. My experience is that they will always be noticable. Altair will still need more sessions. I am glad he is on his way and hope we can vote for him again.

Removing the plugs was a good idea if you are willing to lower your hairline about 3 mm (which is not much). Lowering the hairline also impllies a need for many more grafts. If you use f.u.e. (from your chest) -- which Dr. Charles is qualified to do-- to cover the top, you can use donor hair (from your head) to achieve a lower hairline and more density. If you can get another surgery in a year from now, you're gonna look great. icon_cool.gif

Guest balloonman

I must disagree that thousands of more grafts would have been needed to hide the large plug grafts. A well thought out plan to plant grafts around and in front of the large plug grafts would have given the hairtransplant more density, because the large grafts would have remained, a slightly lower hairline (1-2mm) NO CHANCE of visible scarring from punch graft removal.

When you look at teh area that was covered, if 300 grafts were used to cover the large punch grafts he still would have had over 1600 to cover the remainder of his head AND the most important visual area (the hairline) would have looked thicker and more dense by leaving them in so inessence, you would have had NO CHANCE of seeing the scar, a more dense hairline and a reduction of 300 grafts spread out over the remainder of his head which would have been imperceptible.

Furthermore, it has been establsihed that grafts that are removed from previous surgeries 2 or more times, do not yield the sdame percentages as virgin first time grafts. In other words, the grafts he had removed in his hairline will not all regrow when replanted elsewhere because this will be the second time they were moved and as such, they do not grow or survive as well.

I stand by my opinion but, we are beating a dead horse, whats done is done. Had teh grafts been more like DEAN'S (another patient) who's grafts were much more dense and hair diameter was much thicker, then camoflauge would not be the proper choice. IN this case with the limited density, fine hair texture and low number of large plug grafts, camoflauge would have been a better choice. IMO.

Interesting, but I think youre overlooking the aspect that when a good HT is done, the front graphs are placed rather subtly to avoid the "wall" of hair that has been seen time and time again in obvious transplants. In light of this, a much lower (relatively, of course) would have to be structured to thoroughly camoflauge those old plugs.

This also brings the origional limited donor hair and density issue back into play.

True, we are beating a dead horse and over-analyzing the HELL out of a situation. The be-all-end-all is that plugs or no, Altair is going to look and feel one hell of alot better and that is a very good thing.

Also, as much as I respect yours and everyone elses opinions on HTs, I stand by my opinion to let the obviously skilled HT doctors such as Dr. Charles do their work as they see fit. If there were a shadow of a doubt that he was less than competent, then yes, we would have a right to scrutinize, but until then, there is areason that he is doing the procedure and Altair didnt visit the "Socialdrinker and Balloonman Hair Restoration Clinic."

Good points on both sides, but it's hard to say what will or will not be visible at this stage. The way altair will comb his future hair (back/forward/side) should also be taken into account.

altair, I'm impressed with the quality of your pics! What kind of camera/light did you use to get that result?

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

ALtair,

Congrats and your going to look 1000x better than before. I understand Charles taking some old plugs to harvest FU's because of your limited donor supply. THe result will be alot better. To help heal the scaring of those old plug sites, once stiches are taken out, use vitamin E oil and Aloe oil in conjunction with Dermscar that plastic surgeons use. THis wil help with the scarring. Down the line you have the option to get FUE for more donor hair and finetune/touch up the hairline and sprinkle the crown area. Best of luck and enjoy the new you.

Congratulations Altair

This is going to be a major improvement.

I'm sure you anticipate needing another go, in a year or so, to add to (and refine) what you just had done. For one thing, to add grafts where the old plugs were removed from.

I think removing the plugs made sense. Recycling grafts does not have a great survival rate (as mentioned) but we are talking about a small number of follicles... only a handful of plugs. If you would have left them in, you would have needed to drop the new hairline in even lower. That uses up a lot of grafts and it look s like it would have been too low. I'm sure Dr. Charles explained it better in person. You want to avoid having those old plugs dictate your current aesthetic choices, like the shape of your hairline, if you can. So I think you did well.

Heal well and good luck to you. Bravo to Dr. Charles.

congrats altair,

i think you will look good with your new hair, and as the others have said WAYYYYY better than before.

happy growing,

cas

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

I am one week post op. Some of the loose sutures from the old repaired plugs in the hairline have beed removed. The others are still to tight and will come out in a few days. Just waiting for the repair plug scars to heal. May need to use some kind of scar concealer. Any suggestions?

HT015.jpg

HT016.jpg

HT017.jpg

Congrats on your first week, Altair! For what its worth, I can certainly tell that the healing is well underway.

Try what HBT said about the make-up aisle. Sorry, I dont know much about make-up (thank goodness) but there should be some kind of skin-tone coverup stuff out there. I would consult with Dr. Charles before applying anything to make sure you arent endangering any of those precious graphs, though.