Story and Advice

As I've been "getting by" as they say in the hair loss world, I haven't been frequenting this site as much as I did when I was a newbie, mainly because of the fact that I didn't want hair loss consuming my life if it didn't have to. But alas, as my hair as been getting worse I find myself back here.

I'm 21 and well on my way to a NW 5A or 6. I have diffuse thinning in the crown, vertex, and frontal 1/3. I first noticed hair falling out in April of 2008, and what was first the first month or two a potential threat has morphed into the monster of MPB.

Around August when density became threatened I started on Rogaine and Propecia, and also did a couple of in-person, online and over-the-phone consults. The most optimistic advice I received was that I have favored hair characteristics (black and curly) and that a small, conservative procedure might make a dent in this cosmetic defect. Though, all clinics expressed their wariness about my age, and also my weak graft availability in the donor area (around 4,000 lifetime grafts according to one doctor). One renowned doctor told me "I would never operate on you. Never." I do appreciate his frankness, though.

In any event, I was told to stay on the meds and cross my fingers, which I've been doing. There has been a very minor slowing of hair loss during these 6 months, though I still lose a considerable amount each day. And more and more, I have to drown my hair in concealers (Toppik, Nanogen) and turn my hair into what looks more like a "creation"; obscure and unnatural, but nonetheless a look that is NOT bald.

Though it's been a while since I've seen what my hair looks like with the complete absence of concealer, I'm fairly certain I am about as bald as any 21 year old on this site. I never understood why so many people on this forum say that "the hardest part" is to "play the waiting game" after having a procedure done. To me, the hardest part is behind you, and that's losing hair, and living day to day while trying desperately to put the brakes on what a lot of people see as a living nightmare.

If there is a point to any of this ranting it's that I'd like anyone's input on what my expectations should be, particularly with the meds and what I can do until I "reevaluate" my progress in another 6 months. I haven't seen any regrowth, though I know regrowth is rare @ 6 months. I am seriously considering shaving my head if the thinning doesn't slow some more in the next few months. Honestly, I'd be okay with a procedure that could just give me coverage and not great density, because I'd be content with using concealers for as long as I have to. Currently I only have about 10-15% of the hair on the top of my head left, and still I can pull of a look that, while awkward, gives the appearance of FAR more hair than I have. Any advice/support from posters, doctors, etc. extremely appreciated.

_Martin

As I've been "getting by" as they say in the hair loss world, I haven't been frequenting this site as much as I did when I was a newbie, mainly because of the fact that I didn't want hair loss consuming my life if it didn't have to. But alas, as my hair as been getting worse I find myself back here.

I'm 21 and well on my way to a NW 5A or 6. I have diffuse thinning in the crown, vertex, and frontal 1/3. I first noticed hair falling out in April of 2008, and what was first the first month or two a potential threat has morphed into the monster of MPB.

Around August when density became threatened I started on Rogaine and Propecia, and also did a couple of in-person, online and over-the-phone consults. The most optimistic advice I received was that I have favored hair characteristics (black and curly) and that a small, conservative procedure might make a dent in this cosmetic defect. Though, all clinics expressed their wariness about my age, and also my weak graft availability in the donor area (around 4,000 lifetime grafts according to one doctor). One renowned doctor told me "I would never operate on you. Never." I do appreciate his frankness, though.

In any event, I was told to stay on the meds and cross my fingers, which I've been doing. There has been a very minor slowing of hair loss during these 6 months, though I still lose a considerable amount each day. And more and more, I have to drown my hair in concealers (Toppik, Nanogen) and turn my hair into what looks more like a "creation"; obscure and unnatural, but nonetheless a look that is NOT bald.

Though it's been a while since I've seen what my hair looks like with the complete absence of concealer, I'm fairly certain I am about as bald as any 21 year old on this site. I never understood why so many people on this forum say that "the hardest part" is to "play the waiting game" after having a procedure done. To me, the hardest part is behind you, and that's losing hair, and living day to day while trying desperately to put the brakes on what a lot of people see as a living nightmare.

If there is a point to any of this ranting it's that I'd like anyone's input on what my expectations should be, particularly with the meds and what I can do until I "reevaluate" my progress in another 6 months. I haven't seen any regrowth, though I know regrowth is rare @ 6 months. I am seriously considering shaving my head if the thinning doesn't slow some more in the next few months. Honestly, I'd be okay with a procedure that could just give me coverage and not great density, because I'd be content with using concealers for as long as I have to. Currently I only have about 10-15% of the hair on the top of my head left, and still I can pull of a look that, while awkward, gives the appearance of FAR more hair than I have. Any advice/support from posters, doctors, etc. extremely appreciated.

_Martin

Martin M,

Bill the forum adminstrator was very bald, NW 5-6, just like you and now you can see by his weblog that he looks good.

The bottom line is you have to: get on and stay on meds (minoxidil and finasteride, (MSM and Biotin, if you believe in that stuff)), wait until your MPB stabilizes, and start doing your scalp exercises, because hair transplantation, isn't too far of in the future for you.(You can't get any balder than NW 7.)

Try to have some achievement in your life, because at your age, you need something to increase your confidence, (like telling people, "I'm a medical student...I'm going to be a doctor"...etc.)

Develop a sense of humour...learn to laugh and learn to make women laugh, walk with confidence and you'll see, the opposite sex will be attracted to you.

HAIR RESTORATION IS ABOUT SEXUALITY.

I used to be your age and believe me, being a teenager and starting to lose your hair is not nice. You think the world is coming to an end because of that, but just wait until you get to be my age, you'll see...

take care...

Martin --

If you do indeed have 4,000 grafts and they are thick and curly hairs, I'd think that they might go a long way. Many people have 6-8 thousand, and you might really have the equivalent to six with that type of hair.

I'd go to a bunch of the top doctors this site and get different opinions. If you're willing to make sacrifices in the crown area, I'd think you could get a hairline back and look much different from the front.

If you're open to just shaving it, I'd obviously try that before anything and see how it feels. Some of us don't have the head shape to pull it off, perhaps you do.

Hi mate.

Being 22 and having had 2 procedures, i can totall relate to you. I am(was) probably a diffuse NW5.

Truth be told, if you told me that your frontal 1/3 was totally barren and that the middle and crown were holding up nicely i would be reluctant to suggest a ht. But us with a diffuse pattern have the advantage here, as the future loss is much easier, although not entirely, to determine. Hence, hair can be planted inbetween to create density, and even if the remaining falls off, it will not create an unnatural gap, it will merely look thinner than before.

This being said, i am not a doctor and i cannot tell you if a HT is a good idea for you.

Could you show us some pics? 4k grafts is around the same as me (4.3k)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

Hey man, I can relate 100%. I startig losing my hair when I was 17, diffuse thinner just like you. Needless to say i'm at the cross roads now (30 years old) and although i've become a master of using toppik the hairline is gettig harder and harder to mask (persoally I wish I had just shaved my head way back when, but by using concealer all these years if I were to shave now my hair loss/masking would be so noticable that its just not something I want to deal with). Anyhow like you i'm at the point of "what next". No easy answer here unfortuntatly. I hear you completly on just watig to have a decent amount of hair on top and then using a concealer to fill it in (I was looking at pics of myself from 6 or 7 years ago when at the time I thought my hair was "thin" and I WISH I had that much hair now.) Using the concealer at that time was much easier/faster and the result looked so much better so i've thought about that scenario as well. Anyhow my advise like many others on here will be to see how the meds work and talk to some top docs. Do the online consults and visit some clinics in person and that should help guide you in the right direction. If you want to PM me feel free. Good luck.

THANK YOU everyone for the comments and advice believe me I appreciate it; one of the worst feelings hair loss can produce is loneliness, and as I am constantly in class, on the train, or around looking for people my age with my level of hair loss, I can't help but feel alone. Just browsing and sharing stories on this site helps that a lot.

mmhce: I am familiar with Bill's story, and indeed it is an inspiring one. I am just worried that I will not be able to achieve the same results because he has had extensive work (I think it's something like 3 procedures with 7K grafts or so) done to achieve such a great look. I'm not sure if my 4K will go that far. Your other advice on the difficult psychology of all this is much appreciated though, and definately something I hope will come easier as time passes.

Ceaser: yes I think my hairline is a priority; currently it is the area where I am most concerned, because my balding crown and vertex can be concealed more easily. If I can get my front repaired, I think concealer and clever styling can manage the rest. But yes I do understand and am preparing to shave my head at least once before I get any work done.

Mike: your thoughts about diffuse thinning are exactly what I've thought before. I am sure as you can be how I will bald, in fact my pattern is quite clear when I let the back of my hair (underneath my horseshoe) grow out. Some doctors, however, I think view my age and react conservatively. I will take and post some pics as soon as I get a chance.

HTHELP: thanks for your kind comments. I guess we're more or less in the same boat. At this point I am praying that the meds do some mediocre cosmetic work and slow/stop the loss. At that point I think at least SOME docs can take me seriously about having a consevative HT.

If I ever make it out of this alive (and that might be a BIG "If") I will definatly donate money to this cause (among others) and help young people who struggle with this.

Martin,

Just like all of the previous posters. I can definately relate my friend. I started seeing signs of my hairloss at age 16 and obviously progressed from there, to where I am today as a 25 year old NW3 Crown/NW4. Been using meds for maybe 3 years and I have never really seen myslef as a responder. My situtaion has indeed continued to progress. But I shall never know, that if I had not used these meds, maybe I would be much further down the hairloss progression path than I currently am. So, its very important that you are realistic regarding results with these two meds. Many experience hair thickening of the shaft, especially in the crown area, but not so much regarding temple recession. But from your post, it is obvious that you have already done much research and have good understanding.

You raise an interesting point regarding how the "doldrum" stage is seen as the worst part of hairloss and procedures, but you are correct, the initial living with hairloss is far worse surely. I feel that it is viewed differently because for the first time in such a long time, individuals view their hair situation with hope and expectancy after a HT, and therefore find the waiting time so frustrating. Before any HT, watching your pattern progress, there is certainly no expectations and hope of a positive manner.

Take the meds and stick to them if you are experiencing no side effects. Just because one specific Doctors opinion expressed that you potentially only have 4000 donor hair available, another Doctors opinion may differ. Until this is verified or disgarded, try not to dwell on this point too much because although this situation would not be ideal with your hair restoration goals, your other characteristics of curly dark hair will assist you a long way.

For sure, shave your hair and see how you feel. But as already mentioned, its important to try not to let this consume you. Obvioulsy its there everyday, and some days are much worse than others, but try and stay busy doing other such things that you love. Take your time and sketch a realistic long term plan, and although this situation is not ideal, you are making the best of a bad situation. Im sure that you will draw positiveness and strength in this.

Hang in there my man! Hang in there!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

You raise an interesting point regarding how the "doldrum" stage is seen as the worst part of hairloss and procedures, but you are correct, the initial living with hairloss is far worse surely.

I feel for you dude and I can hear what you are saying about the worst part being before not after. However, if you do get advice from high quality docs that you can go ahead don't expect it to be a picnic afterwards. Before a HT people might not realise Hair loss bothers you, projecting confidence is important (not easy though I admit). Once you have had something done there is more of a risk that your personal struggle with this comes out into the public arena. A lot of the time I feel that my post op hair is none of other people's business but I can understand why they are interested in the change to my appearance as it may seem strange and surprising to them and so they become curious.

Martin,

Good news is you are 21! More good news is that your hairloss has been slowed down with the use of rogaine and propecia right? Also you can pull off using concealers still. You are still young enough where in hopefully "fingers crossed" just a short period of time they will have a cure for MPB. Just hang on for a little longer because they are aggressivly working on finding cures. I am also a diffuse thinner that started losing my hair at 21. I did nothing about it until I was 28. By that time I had lost quite a bit, but in the 2 years that I've been uing rogaine and minox my hairloss has been stabilized. Good luck

Guest wanthairs

Martin----

Its quite sad reading your story and the memories it brings back for me. I was a diffuse thinner from the age of 14 !!!!! A nwd 6 BY THE TIME i WAS 20. I suffered years of depression over this, looking at other peopels har and so forth. Anyway, after leading a reclusive life till my 30's I had a hair transplant and in the recovery stage I decided to shave my head completely. I did this and started working out. I ended up enjoying this shaved look (even havign a scar showing) to the point where I almost wish I never went down the transplant road. I had no problem dating hot women all of a sudden and found that a good body, shaved head and a good personality one the day far more than just having a decent head of hair. So my advice to you is to shave the head, eat very healthy, work out physically, dress well and improve your personality and when you are 30 years old and been on Meds decide on a hair transplant then. I am sure in 9 years form now, there will be much better advances in this field than there are today.

In regards to age, there are many people, myself included, who experienced hairloss at a young age. Keep in mind that you are young and you have many years to save for an HT. Many of us struggled in our early years but you are a long way from reaching your "prime" in your life. I am 37 and still feel I have not reached my prme. When I was younger, before I had my HT, I worked out (and continue to) and looked at others ways I could improve my appearance and personality. That is good advice from wanthairs.It worked and I have had the pleasure of dating many beautiful women over the years. Hang in there and dont sweat it. Hang out here for a while. There are many just like you here.

Raphael: You're definately right about the meds. It's important to stay on them and be realistic about expectations. Although I don't think I'm an incredible responder like you, I honestly don't know where my hair would be today if I didn't take them consistently. I'm just really happy I'm not experiencing any side effects. You're also right about the Docs; it's extremely difficult to hear from a medical professional bad news because you feel that they know best. But I think that if I can stabilize my loss, less Doctors would be reluctant to work with me.

imissthebarber: you make a good point about the level of committment to hair restoration once a procedure is taken on. As miserable as this whole thing has made me, I know that worst case scenario, I can still shave my head (as terrible as that might look). Once you take that leap in the Doc's chair though, there's no turning back.

dakota: cloning is always a distant hope that I keep in the back of my mind. I really hope some substantial advancements are made in the next decade. I have to say, though, that the demand for transplants will probably skyrocket then and I don't know where I would end up on that list. Can't imagine that the companies that make Rogaine and Propecia or virtually any other medical hair loss drug would be too excited about that development, either.

wanthairs: thanks for sharing your story. believe me I'm going through what you did. I agree that other aspects of one's self can be enhanced to make up for hair loss. But I think there's a limit to this; ultimately it comes down to not if these things are enough for other people (girls, popularity, etc.), but if it's enough for you to be at peace with yourself. Honestly I think I can get the former down; the latter, I'm not so sure.

Clint: I appreciate your advice. I agree that I have not yet reached my "prime," and hope to experience that in full, whether I have hair or not. I have been working out and also try to maintain an attractive personality to keep my confidence and self-esteem afloat.

-Thanks everyone for the comments and support. It is REALLY appreciated.

• Moderators
Originally posted by MikeTheDane:

But us with a diffuse pattern have the advantage here, as the future loss is much easier, although not entirely, to determine.

Why do you think this? Just because you can see where you are losing hair today does not mean you can know where your hair loss will be later. I was also a diffuse pattern hair loss sufferer NW 5 by age 22. The HT clinic kept insisting that they could see my pattern, but once the original hair was just about totally gone in that diffuse pattern area then the whole area started to widen and move down the back of my head. There was thick hair towards the back of my head when I started my HT. Enough that a donor strip was taken from there. A few years later that area was completely bald and now has a donor scar through it.

There's also the thinning on the sides now as well. I think the diffuse pattern people are much more likely to have this problem. If you only start out with a small area of loss then it seems to me it will take a much longer time to lose hair on the sides toward the ears and down the back, but if your pattern starts as a large area, then you're that much further along in the balding process right off the bat.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I have to admit Martin M, for your age you seem to be very mature. Good for you. Like I said before, hair loss never stops once it starts, even with meds, it might slow down, but it will not stop. I beleive that HT's are definately not for everyone, regardless of how much or little hair you have. At your age you should be concentrating on much more important things, (education, your future and of course woman). My advice to you would be to try shaving your head at least for one year. If you still feel unhappy after that, then look into other options. Had I known what a hassle HT could be, I would have done the same....and I am almost twice your age....I wishh you all the luck in the world...

Just a thought from the peanut gallery....