Losing hair after 8 months

Hey guys,

I had hair transplant done back in November 2010, mostly to the front of my head to solve a receding hairline. Everything seemed to be on track and by April/May the transplanted section had become quite full and thick...not as thick as my real hair though, however it looked quite normal as was noticeable. I've been using the minoxidil 5% but decided to stop in mid June. Around mid July though, I noticed that my hair started falling out, both from the transplanted area and the rest of the top of my head. I do have a balding area at the back of my head but I was told to hold off since I am still young (23 years old) and wait for it to fully mature before having another transplant. Anyway, whenever I shampoo my hair, I get a lot falling out from the front, and the area looks less dense than before. I started back the minoxidil about a week now, so I'm not sure what's going on. From what I've read on many sites and heard from doctors is that transplanted hair is supposedly permanent. Do they mean I can leave it without minoxidil after a while or permanent on the basis that I continue using the minoxidil? Any other recommendations to stop the hair from further falling? The only shampoo I use is http://www.amazon.com/Dove-Therapy-Treatment-Shampoo-Packaing/dp/B001ET7EH8. I've not used any styling products since the transplant.

Edited by racerx

Sounds like you started losing native hair after you stopped the minoxidil. It would not impact your transplanted hair. You probably lost some hnative hairs mixed with the transplanted ones. Keep using the minoxidil and talk to your doc about using propecia. That combined with minoxidil gives you your best chance of keeping your native hair and stengthening your existing native hair. If you have some before and after photos, that would be helpful.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Yeah, you're probably losing the hairs minox kept along with some native hair. Though it is possible that you could also be going through a seasonal shed. Definitely get on finasteride. I'm shocked that your surgeon didn't put you on it before your transplant since you are so young (23?)!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Yeah, you're probably losing the hairs minox kept along with some native hair. Though it is possible that you could also be going through a seasonal shed. Definitely get on finasteride. I'm shocked that your surgeon didn't put you on it before your transplant since you are so young (23?)!

The side effects are not worth it in my opinion, the risk of impotency and other related issues is too troubling. I have to go back to get the back done, so I most likely will have them fill in the missing areas with more grafts.

Thanks for the information otherwise.

Getting multiple transplants at the age of 23 without taking finasteride is playing with fire in my opinion. I would most certainly question the ethics of the surgeon doing these procedures on you.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Getting multiple transplants at the age of 23 without taking finasteride is playing with fire in my opinion. I would most certainly question the ethics of the surgeon doing these procedures on you.

I only had one transplant done so far.

And probably the biggest ht mistake you can make even if it is just one ht it's still very wrong and heading for trouble!

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Racerx,

I think it's fair to say that we've established what has happened here. You've continued to lose hair though not looking after your existing hair with a DHT blocker like finasteride.

If you're not prepared to take fin despite the sound advice given to you here, you will continue to lose hair, ending up with an 'island' of transplanted hair at the front and bald hair behind it.

You have two choices here:

1. Listen to the advice given, take fin (start on low dosages and work up to your tolerance level to reduce the risks of the side effects you're afraid of) and look after your native hair.

2. Do not take fin and accept that the fact that your male pattern baldness will continue to progress. You can either cut your losses from the HT, shave it and accept the fact that you will be bald or spend the rest of your life chasing your hairline with HT after HT. The later would be expensive, in advisable and eventually unlikely as you start running out of donor hair.

Pick your path and best of luck with whichever one you choose.

Edited by SkinUpPinUp