Sexual Side Effects on Finasteride

sjones23

Hi Guys,

I think im going to start my pills this evening and just wanted some last minute advice,

How many People does it effect and has anybody here taken it and had no sexual side effects

and did it regrow your hair or just maintain loss

Thanks guys

Edited by sjones23

I have been taking Propecia/finasteride since 1994, 3 years prior to its approval by the FDA and have not had any side effects at all. There is a small percentage of people that will have a sexual side effect, but that is less than 2%. If you happen to notice any side effect you should consult with your doctor and probably discontinue using. I did not expereince any regrowth, but I have not lost any more hair since going on it. My experiences with Propecia has been nothing, but positive.

I am employed as the patient coordinator and office manager for Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Dr. Panine is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be interperted as medical advice

what if i take the pills then i stop i know that i would lose any hair which i may have regrown or was due to fall out but does it accelerate hair loss and the hair that i wouldnt have lost if i hadnt taken them

Wow, since 1994 Stuart? That's impressive. Glad it has worked for you for so long. Hope it does the same for me.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

what if i take the pills then i stop i know that i would lose any hair which i may have regrown or was due to fall out but does it accelerate hair loss and the hair that i wouldnt have lost if i hadnt taken them

It wouldn't necessarily speed up your hair loss but you would experience "catch - up" loss - meaning would you lose all the hairs that had any benefit from propecia.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

aaron - oh i got ya, for some reason i thought i read that it would make me lose hair which i wouldnt of lost if i hadnt of taken them,

Do you think i should give it a go , i know you commented on my photos by sayimg i had some minitureized hairs which could come back stronger?

Ive got a consultation with Dr Rahal on Tuesday not looking forward to the long drive lol

Just to clarify something: there's no reason to take the full dose straight away.

As a Norwood 2, 1mg per day for me was kind of overkill and caused a slightly weaker erection and occasional testicle pain. For about a year a was using 0.5mg per day with no sides at all, and I've now resolved myself to 1mg MWF and 0.5mg all other days.This means I'm still getting a hefty 5mg per week hit of finasteride, but the side effects have been kept at bay.

Some on this forum (Bill and TakingThePlunge) both only take 1mg MWF, so there's a bit of give and take on dosage. One of the doctors on here wrote an article on the half-life of finasteride and why 1mg per day might not be necessary.

So yeah, I'd advise starting slowly and building up to the correct dose for you.

Good luck.

That's a pretty high dose, and if you're jumping into 1.25mg per day with no gradual build up to that dosage, you may get some sides. This, in turn, may scare you off, which is a shame because fin works, you just need to work out how much your body can tolerate without side effects.

Most people recommend cutting 5mg into quarters because it's easier to cut than cutting into fifths. It's based on convenience, not necessarily efficacy.

Again, you have other qualified HT surgeons and MDs on here who claim that 3mg per week (1mg on MWF) is perfectly adequate, so there's no hard and fast rule. This is not a slight against Dr Rahal's judgement, I'm just afraid jumping to a high dosage like that may scare you if you start developing sides early.

Starting off with a half dosage of 1.25mg might not be a bad idea. But really when you cut the pills you rarely get the exact 1.25 dosage. Some days I probably take a .70mg and other's maybe 1.70mg. It all balances out in the long run since it keeps the medicine in my blood stream. There have been smaller studies that show a .50mg of fin achieves the same hair benefit of the 1mg pill.

I do not have anything against anyone using finasteride, dutasteride or any other therapy for combating hair loss but I personally just can?t believe that we now in a well paved 21 st century are using this more than a really primitive and hazardous technology to keep or maybe gain a few more hairs. That is just ridiculous, if it is not sad or even tragic. To potentially endanger your health for a few lousy hairs makes no sense. Sometimes the human race is just tragicomic.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm258314.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Hello...

Im on fin (1mg) -only for 2months . for routine checkup I visited to my docs days back & he asked to stop fins after 4~5 months...

still now I don't face any sexual side effect (like duration or etc).. but I found baby hair on my temple already ..

any idea - how to get rid from sexual side effect w/o stopping fins ? I dont have any sides . but any preventive system ?

Rgds/Nneel

Best Regards-

ZR

My Regimen

Minox 5% -1ml 2x/day | Fins -1mg /day | Niz 2% - |

Green Tea Shampoo

Planning to start Retina-A

Well I can confirm it works in much smaller doses than the fda recommend,I used .5 mg EOD for 2 years and saw slight improvement,then tried every day for 8 months but saw no further improvement than before just more sides so am back on .5 EOD which is lowering my dht to the level required for me atleast,people with more agressive genes may require a bit more,not an exact science.

HT 2006/7

Pale rider.....good comment..

its crazy to gain a few hairs and potentially screw up your libido for life..

AND its not even proven to work THAT good... but to each his own..

I find the difference sexually on it and off it is immense...the only way i see around it is taking testosterone suppiments .....but in theory would the fina block the extra DHT as well???

@trapps99, taking testosterone supplements and blocking DHT on the other side it looks like fighting fire with gasoline. :D Why would a young man want to block a DHT? DHT serves for a good reason in our body. Some people will say: "but it will save me from prostate cancer in the future, and I will benefit from it on that field bla, bla..." Do you know any man in his 20?s or 30? that have problems with prostate and high amount of DHT, risking a prostate cancer? Jesus Christ in that age you look to jump on any skirt you see like a sexual tyrannosaurus.

The same "logic" can be used to have your 10 year old son taking pills for lowering high blood pressure, because one day when he turns 60 he may have that problem so why not benefit now? :rolleyes: If it ain?t broken do not fix it.

Why would someone want to block DHT?? iSint that the whole point of finasteride?/ To save hairs??

People take drugs, test, whatever.....i hhave no moral problem to whomever takes anything for whatever reason.....who cares?? it was a simple medical question to see if test suppliments ( whoch most one here have a low reading because of the Fina ) would help....ever human is different and needs different drugs so you cant really lump in everyone " you shouldnt take that becaseu its wrong and might hurt you ""

Its not a matter of being broken its improving....

Why would someone want to block DHT?? iSint that the whole point of finasteride?/ To save hairs??

People take drugs, test, whatever.....i hhave no moral problem to whomever takes anything for whatever reason.....who cares?? it was a simple medical question to see if test suppliments ( whoch most one here have a low reading because of the Fina ) would help....ever human is different and needs different drugs so you cant really lump in everyone " you shouldnt take that becaseu its wrong and might hurt you ""

Its not a matter of being broken its improving....

Why does everybody thinks it is a problem in DHT? DHT is NOT the problem, the problem is faulty genetics or some cell mutations that occur in human body for some reason. Now, THAT is the main problem, DHT in normal % in the body is vital for a man?s health. Anybody can take anything they want but that chemistry is just wrong and primitive, time will tell us how stupid we were like we laugh today to our ancestors who used to let blood for a simple flu and weaken the body even more.

• 1 month later...