FUE in SCAR?!

Hey...I am considering FUE...but would perhaps consider FUT with potential for putting some FU's in the scar area to mask it. Has anyone done or seen this? Figure it could potentially be the best of both worlds. I have read often about this but haven't really seen any pictures and/or cases of it on this or other forums.

Yes, you can transplant FUE grafts in a donor scar. It's been done. Sometimes grafts have a harder time growing in scar tissue but I have seen some great results using this technique.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

.. putting some FU's in the scar area to mask it... the best of both worlds. .

Sorry to say this, but this is sheer folly.

You can't just get strip and then think you'll be able to mask it with FUE so you can buzz like it were a FUE. (I assume best of both worlds is pointed at that possibility)

I have never seen, in nearly ten years of research a satisfactory result like this and yet many have tried.

Remember, if you get strip,

1) You may have to get further strips to 'keep up' with your loss and this will undo all the good work, expense and patience you exercised in getting the scar filled. In fact, most of us need multiple surgeries.

2) The scars aside from being unpredictable, change with time and maturing. Most docs will not even plant in an immature scar, and by the time they would, you'd be almost ready to cut it up again. (assummng you wouldn't do the unthinkable and actually create a new scar)

3) The density of the hair in the rump of the donor, is so good that even dense packing the scar ( and that is not recomended for yield by some doctors) will not match it. More likely, the course transplanted hairs and the unpredictable way in which they grow will make them stand out.

If you intend to grow out the hair, then yes, planting in the scar helps, but remember point 1, you may have to cut it open again.

As a starting strategy i think it's a poor choice if your mind set is to get the best of both worlds. But for a scarred up patient with some whiskers and/or head (peter pays paul) donor to spare, it can help.

I would personally do a scar revision first if the scar didn't turn out to your liking. But FUE's in the scar can help diminish the its appearance. Nothing will completely take it away. Although you could also look into SMP (scalp micro-pigmentation) to disguise it. Again, no perfect options but options nonetheless.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

In most cases with a skilled surgeon the scar from the strip will be almost undetectable, but it is a scar regardless. If you get surgery, just don't plan to cut your hair super short. I was able to cut my hair quite short 5 weeks post surgery without a problem. If you have a bad scar, scar repair is the better way to go than trying to fill it in with hair follicles, in my opinion.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

I have never seen, in nearly ten years of research a satisfactory result like this and yet many have tried.

].

There's been many failures for sure. I would check out some of Dr. Umar's BHT work in the scar. Controversial and inconsistent, yes. But there's been a handful of home run's. Again, hopefully the scar heals well enough to the point you don't need any corrective work even with a short cut.

I would check out some of Dr. Umar's BHT work... there's been a handful of home run's.

Mnn, some impressive results in respect to camouflaging hair that is grown beyond the buzz mark and kudos for fighting the good fight. But very difficult to see videos of his where the hair is cut/buzzed to the exact same length in the same light conditions before AND after. Is this being pedantic? Yes, and no. Given the vitriol of his shills and the velvet hammer effect of the music, I say the latter. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of his scar work but just that I wanted to point out, your donor post-strip will never be as good as an FUE donor through planting FUE in it.

ofhair1,

Pretty much all scars look great at five weeks. I'm hoping yours stays that way for ever and with medication it may well be that it is never an issue.

True. Down to a buzz cut nothing will completely hide the donor scar and even some FUE scars. Though SMP is also a possibility for those with the shaven down look. But if you are going to shave then you shouldn't get a strip procedure done in the first place. The best route might be FUE for guys preferring this style.

Thanks......I am hoping it stays that way as well. I think if you really want the buzz cut, then strip is just not a viable option. FUE is, but sometimes a buzz cut will reveal FUE scarring as well. There just is no simple answer and there is give and take in whatever route you choose.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

If you don't want a scar, just don't have strip surgery. Sure you get lots of little scars with fue, but with a good Dr, these won't be seen. My fue can't be seen at a number 1 cut, but my scar sure can be!

I had fue into my scar, and now I don't have to give the hairdresser special instructions regarding it, as it basically can't be seen anymore. If I use a Mirror behind my head to find it, I can't now, and my scar was horrible, but don't get strip with the idea of filling it in with fue later, if fue was around in 1998 then I would never of had strip, no way!

Thanks for your response...like in life you can't have the best of both worlds...even with hair! lol.

Sorry to say this, but this is sheer folly.

You can't just get strip and then think you'll be able to mask it with FUE so you can buzz like it were a FUE. (I assume best of both worlds is pointed at that possibility)

Remember, if you get strip,

1) You may have to get further strips to 'keep up' with your loss and this will undo all the good work, expense and patience you exercised in getting the scar filled. In fact, most of us need multiple surgeries.

2) The scars aside from being unpredictable, change with time and maturing. Most docs will not even plant in an immature scar, and by the time they would, you'd be almost ready to cut it up again. (assummng you wouldn't do the unthinkable and actually create a new scar)

3) The density of the hair in the rump of the donor, is so good that even dense packing the scar ( and that is not recomended for yield by some doctors) will not match it. More likely, the course transplanted hairs and the unpredictable way in which they grow will make them stand out.

Well said Scar5...

I too have heard a lot about doing FUE to cover up a FUT scar, however, I've hardly seen any cases of it... It's one of those things that sounds great in theory, but for the reasons mentioned above, I don't know how common it is in practice.

Also, regarding BHT in the FUT scar, that's even less realistic than the FUE into the scar. I really don't think there are enough examples anywhere to recommend such an idea as a viable solution at this point in time. I'm all about playing it safe.

Also, I think Shadow of the Empire makes a good point... getting one procedure to cover up another just doesn't sit right with me. The scar should be thin enough to be virtually undetectable. Is it really going to make a huge difference for you to go from a 2.5 to a 3 guard?

I've seen your pics Capelli and we've discussed your situation at length over the phone. Given your concerns, perhaps FUE really is the best option for you at this time. If you're still worried about yield, why not go with a smaller, test procedure to see how it turns out. At worst, you'll only be losing a little more time...

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Like Sparky said, it can be done.

Like Corv said, it's not a good surgical strategy.