What NW am i ???

sjones23

Hi would love feedback to see what NW i am, im considering having FUT and would like to get around 4200 grafts, would this be enough:confused:

my photos are on my profile

Thanks

326.jpg.2a6326f65278c23dbdb2ad78736b6c1c.jpg

319.jpg.e08e19a0d5cd960c4e4094a711b6e02d.jpg

323.jpg.17ac8a54cbac4b4c251fc51d9376bba1.jpg

312.jpg.da4957d399dddd0919989c836435d281.jpg

Edited by sjones23

You look like a NW5. Donor appears to be good. If you go conservative with your hairline a nice-sized megasession should give you excellent results.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Well, megasession means at least 3k grafts. With your level of loss, and depending on your financial situation, I'd go for as many grafts as possible. Regarding your hairline, I meant you should not lower it beyond where the front currently ends. You can probably go a bit lower in the temples, but not too much lower. You have a lot of ground to cover behind the hairline and you need a good balance of area covered and density.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

If you got on Fin you could might really bulk up your crown. You have a lot of miniaturized hairs back there to revitalize! You definitely need a lot of grafts, at least 3K. 4K would be appropriate.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

aaron - thanks for your advice but i dont quite understand a couple of things that you mentioned, 1st, fin what did you mean by that?

and you also mention about having miniaturized hair , now is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Your pattern appears to be a Norwood 5A with miniaturized hairs toward the crown and bridge areas. Having miniaturized hairs is not a good thing, it means your hairs are unhealthy and will eventually thin out. Propecia ("fin" as aaron mentioned or Finasteride)and Rogaine are great at regrowing these hairs especially in those locations and should be something you consider as your hair loss has advanced. The number of grafts you need may not correlate with the number you can actually get in the first procedure, that depends on the elasticity of your scalp and the density of your donor supply. I do believe more than one procedure will most likely be necessary to achieve your goals of getting as much thickness and density throughout the thinning areas.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

As previously has already been stated you are a Norwood class V. Determining the number of grafts and procedures on a patient is always going to vary. The first thing you need to do is meet with a few reputable doctors that specialize in hair transplants and let them know what your expectations are short and long term ( you always have to take into consideration the possibility of more hair loss) and then make sure that your expectations can be met. Most doctors will explain to you first how many grafts the feel they can get out of your donor area in a session and also how many session you have available. The amount of coverage and density acheived in an initial procedure will also depend on where your hairline is constructed. In fact have the doctor draw a hairline prior to surgery and make sure that you are comfortable with what he suggests. IMO I feel you should get a very good result after one session, but I am not sure if your donor area will suppport 4,100 in one procedure without giving you a larger scar in your donor area. Every persons expectations are different so the bottom line is to make sure that your expectations can be met prior to ever going forward with surgery.

I am employed as the patient coordinator and office manager for Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Dr. Panine is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be interperted as medical advice

Stuart - thanks for your advice, ive had a consultation with dr Feller and he seemed like a top class guy and ive heard his work is very good, when speaking with him he did say that he doesnt think ill lose any more hair and that i had a very good donor area

Feller is great! Certainly a good start. Take a look at all the docs on the site and figure which ones you like most. Definitely consult with the top docs: Rahal, H&W, Shapiro bros., Feller, etc....

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Tell your doctor you want a prescription for proscar (generic finasteride). It is cheaper than the name brand drug, propecia, but you will have to cut the pill into 1/4ths to get the right dosage.

hairthere - Thats fantastic i didnt realise you could get the medication under your insurance as it was classed as cosmetic? is there any difference between proscar and propecia or are they both exactly the same

Well, propecia was first developed as a drug to treat enlarged prostate. Treatment of MPB was a happy accident. There are side effects to this drug (such as impotence) but it is a small risk and normally subsides when you discontinue usage. There is also an increased risk of prostate cancer. You should do your homework before taking it.

I took it for a year and my libido was not effected at all. I have heard cases where that does happen, but it does subside when the drug is discontinued. Good luck!

I wouldn't say Finasteride causes prostate cancer. It is actually used to combat an enlarged prostate in the 5mg dosage (Proscar). What hairthere is probably referring to was a recent study in which it was hypothesized that taking a 1mg daily pill of Finasteride may actually REDUCE the risk of prostate cancer. However, they also theorized that if the patient does indeed get prostate cancer down the road that it may be a more aggressive form of the cancer. Again, this hasn't been noted as a common side effect of the drug but rather a theory of the long-term risks of it. Many doctors are skeptical of the study.

More often you will see patients fear the sexual side effects of finasteride. I've been on it for over 5 years and it's worked fine for me with no side effects.... and that's the same for the vast majority of men who take it.

Aaron, yes you are correct, I was referring to the recent study in which the FDA said there was an increase in the incidence of high-grade prostate cancer if the disease was contracted. Sorry for the confusion.