My first hair transplant experience, not so pleasant so far

I have had a hair transplant surgery done under Dr. Sayeed Ahmed Siddiky's supervision in Bangladesh. Dr. Rajesh Rajput from India is the visiting consultant of that center. I had the transplant done on 31/08/10.

I have attached some photos. 4 photos in one frame. photos were taken from left to right on (01/09/2010, 12/10, 05/11 and 30/07/11). I am afraid the result is not that satisfactory. About 2000 grafts were planted but the transplanted hair looks very thin and i think some of the grafts were dead too. I do not know if another transplant with 2000 grafts will make any noticeable changes. I was hoping to go for another procedure but i kind of lost my hope. I have seen quite a few transplant photos and compare to those mine is pretty bad. Anybody with any suggestions or feedback will be highly appreciated. Also do you guys think it is a good transplant at all?

5b32cee39de2a_leftsidemod.jpg.3f9b9e49c1bc2bb0aa43a35205dc6ff1.jpg

5b32cee3af2c3_rightsidemod.jpg.5fd5bf6b21515dabd20b87d7dd887659.jpg

topmod.jpg.e365eb19a4a1d247cdfe2b7ba60618be.jpg

Edited by tomhairloss1

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with your first procedure. I do agree with you that the net result from your surgery has been minimal.

It appears you are a class VII and 2000 grafts will not be sufficient to provide adequate density. 2000 grafts can help rebuild an age appropriate hairline that frames your face and tapers backward in the anterior 1/3 of your head.

I am assuming there was some type of limitation placed upon the surgical protocol due to donor availability or possibly another constraint.

Tom, where were the grafts placed? The photos look like most were placed in the front. Was the crown or top addressed? In either case, I agree that your outcome appears to be less than what I would expect from 2000 grafts (appx 4600 hairs).

Moving forward: How is your donor hair (density), scalp laxity and what is your hair restoration goal? Let's see how we can devise a strategy to make this a positive outcome for you.

Best of Health

"Opinions and expressions are solely my own!"

tom, sorry buddy but it looks like you got taken. I'd roll into the doctors office as soon as possible and see if you can get things straightened out. Try and get your money back though, don't negotiate on another surgery.

Dr Arocha

3626 FU's

H1: 508

H2: 1741

H3: 1377

My Hairloss Website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2127

tomhairloss,

Yes, sorry to say it but you got a bad transplant done. Even if you got full yield (which you didn't, not even close) it was a poorly planned procedure. Discuss this with the doc but look elsewhere for another round. And only look for the finest clinics in the world because you really can't afford to have another bad procedure.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thanks Rich, Ahairdown, Aaron for your reply and suggestions.

I live in Australia and originally from Bangladesh. There are hardly any good hair transplant surgeons here in Australia and since I visit Bangladesh every year I decided to get it done there after getting few recommendations from few doctors. Price is way less than the western branches which made me get it done there. Its like you get what you pay for..:P...However, I was planning to get another one done. My goal is to cover my bald area as much as possible. I had a plan to go for 3 sessions in 2 years to get it done. Now, the result is pretty poor. Most of my grafts where planted in the front as you can see in the first pictures. My donor area is not bad I suppose. My hair is curly and thick which a lot of doctors think is good for transplant

Just to let you know guys I use Toppik all the time. I dont know if that is causing any damage. I read in few forums that it is okay to use toppik? Is that true?

I am planning to go for another one ASAP and I am considering somewhere in India. I have been following 2 doctors, Dr Monoj Khanna or Dr.Madhu. Both of them have good reputations.

I chose Bangladesh because its convenient for me. But I shouldnt worry about getting another one done from the same place, Should I? As aaron said I cant afford to have another bad procedure.

Yes I believe you should most defiantly not return to the same clinic for a follow up surgery. If you can manage to get any kind of refund that would be best. As far as a second procedure I believe the only recommended surgeon in India on this site is Dr. Pathuri Madhu. There is also a Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich located in Thailand that produces great results. Like most people would suggest do not let location determine your selection of a surgeon. I suggest you have consults with multiple recommended surgeons on this site, most offer online consults, and choose accordingly. Best of luck to you moving forward

Tom,

You're welcome. I commend your good attitude and reaching out in preparation with moving forward.

There a doctors here in the US who offer partial travel reimbursement and hotel accomodations while you are here for your surgery.

I worked with a very good doctor, Parsa Mohebi, who does offer patients these considerations to make their surgical experience a pleasant one. He is a recommended physician on this site.

There are many excellent surgeons here in the US and it may be worth your while for a visit/procedure. There is a limited amount of viable grafts that needs the utmost in professional care and utilization.

If you elect to stay regional, please do your due diligence with selecting a physician. Please keep us posted on your progress and then great results to follow!

Hi Rich,

I am considering Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich first. I have read few posts and i can see nothing but good about him. And location wise it is pretty convenient for me too. I am trying to get in touch with him. Apparently, I have to wait 3 months for a date. Not sure about it, just read on forum. I still havent got a response yet.

Tom,

I'm glad you have located a good physician. In the meantime it never hurts to do a virtual consultation with a few doctors. The more information you gather the better.

3 months is quite a waiting list. Did you see any of his previous work?

I'll try to find some information on Dr

Guest mariewoltz25411697

What did Dr. Rajput say about your results? It is clearly evident that not all the transplanted hair grew. The surgeon and his team should take the blame for producing such results. If Rajput was performing a transplant in Bangladesh, how did he get a team there? He used the local clinic's team with not much experience? Besides, who placed your grafts, Rajput or the team?

You are Norwood 6 or so. Don't be so optimistic about HTs expecting to give you full coverage. They are great for low Norwood scales. But high Norwoods are going to look bald regardless of the number of procedures. Instead of going with HTs you may consider hair systems. In my opinion spending a lot of money, getting scars and still being bald is not a good choice compared to taking the burden of having a hair system and at least not looking bald.

Tom,

I'm glad you have located a good physician. In the meantime it never hurts to do a virtual consultation with a few doctors. The more information you gather the better.

3 months is quite a waiting list. Did you see any of his previous work?

I'll try to find some information on Dr

Thanks for your reply again. Yeah Dr Damekerng has really good reputations. He replied back to me with cost and what i need to do to get enough donar hair. heres a sample that i found in this forum

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/159567-3876-grafts-dr-damkerng-pathomvanich.html

He said

"I would like to see the picture of the back of your head for my assessment of donor hair and one with the hair comb up to expose the scar.You will need large quantity of grafts depend on your donr hair available and scalp laxity.It's impossible to grafts the entire balding scalp rather than concentrate at the front and both temples to mid scalp if you have enough donor hair,My rough estimate is 3000 plus graft more or less depend on your donor hair."

What did Dr. Rajput say about your results? It is clearly evident that not all the transplanted hair grew. The surgeon and his team should take the blame for producing such results. If Rajput was performing a transplant in Bangladesh, how did he get a team there? He used the local clinic's team with not much experience? Besides, who placed your grafts, Rajput or the team?

You are Norwood 6 or so. Don't be so optimistic about HTs expecting to give you full coverage. They are great for low Norwood scales. But high Norwoods are going to look bald regardless of the number of procedures. Instead of going with HTs you may consider hair systems. In my opinion spending a lot of money, getting scars and still being bald is not a good choice compared to taking the burden of having a hair system and at least not looking bald.

Hi, Dr. Rajput wasnt there. he goes there once in a while to train these doctors i guess. Dr siddiky is a cosmetic surgen and another trained doctor was there during the whole procedure. I am surprised how dodgy people can be in this business. they dont know that its an art to transplant hair. I will chase them up later. I didnt do enough study before decided to take one. that is where i guess i made the biggest mistake. But now i can see a good doctor can perform a really good transplant that will give decent thickness. heres an example of Dr Damkerng's work.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/159567-3876-grafts-dr-damkerng-pathomvanich.html

I use toppik all the time and its a pain and an ongoing cost + using toupee is an ongoing cost too. it requires adjustment almost every month. I just wanna give it another shot. at least fix the front. it looks so bad that i hate to look at myself...:P

Hi,

I find it a bit disappointing when I read comments that a norwood VI etc. still looks bald after a HT. I was Norwood VI prior to my surgery August 2010 with DHT Clinic and I've had a tremendous improvement.

I look 10 years younger than what I did a year ago. I don't have thick hair like a young man but I think my result looks age appropriate. I could always go for a second pass but at this stage I'm happy with the result.

Regards

Rod

Yeah certainly theres a permanent cure for baldness. it will not be as thick but still thick enough. the key is its gotta be done by a good doctor. I am still optimistic even though i had a bad transplant...:)

i just had another question, i think i will choose Dr, Damkerng Pathomvanich.

The question is How thick can you get? Say for instance, Dr. Path said he would concentrate to cover the gap on both sides and front to mid scalp Because likely there wont be more than 3000 grafts in my case since its my 2nd transplant. so, if i decide to get another one done in 1 year, will he able to cover the rest of the bald area + thicken the front side up a bit? i would highly appreciate if anybody could answer that.

Hi Tom,

A good question but a difficult one to answer. Dr P should be able to give you a more accurate assessment.

The goal is to attempt to achieve 40% density to eliminate the appearance of baldness. There are many factors that determine how to attain that 40%. Hair thickness, character, size of the region to be covered and of course, graft placement technique.

Tom, I like Dr P's strategy with you. I think it very appropriate to address the anterior third of your scalp. This will frame the face (provide facial symmetry) and give you a "frontal presence" that reduces the baldness presentation. The crown will hopefully be addressed later.

It sounds like there is a moderate number of available grafts and we see there is a great demand. This surgical plan seems very suitable and appropriate given your present situation.

Good luck Tom.