what donor scars used to look like

punch3s.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The doctor will leave these holes wide open, to heal on their own. This is called the "open donor" method. The patient is sent home with gaping open wounds, which are oozing blood. These gaping surgical wounds will eventually "fill in" with solid scar tissue... known as "open donor scarring".

i think this picture is scary and gross

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

Hairgirl,

Definitely a shocking visual! It's difficult to envision a time when this was the gold standard of care. Luckily, just based upon the fact that the physician and assistants are not wearing gloves in the images, I can tell this is a picture from a very old textbook or journal article (probably sometime in the late 1960s or early 1970s). It's good to know the field of hair transplantation has evolved in leaps and bounds since the time these images were taken.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Larry shapiro still does this so called mini grafting it says on his website!

Edited by bonkerstonker

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Larry shapiro still does this!

:P Nice shot Bonkers! He may as well be doing plugs.

I'm shocked that this gruesome type of surgery was ever approved by the FDA or whoever. I mean, left to go home with open wounds? C'mon!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I'm shocked anyone thought it would actually go well, it's just common sense it will look wank if it grows and your donor is gonna look so obvious forever.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

That looks painful as heck. I’ave cut myself and had it heal and it hurts. I could not imagine having all those holes that had to close on their own. I guess with anything, the docs lived and learned; I’m glad that I was not a “student” for them at that time.

Pretty nasty. But 50 years from now, you think people are going to look at the almost invisible scars of modern strip surgery and think the same thing?

People will be glad that technology has moved on, but I doubt if strip scars will ever turn the stomach like these open plug wounds do. :)

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com