Receding hairline at the age of 16

Hi all,

I turned 16 in May. As you can see from my avatar my hairline is starting to recede. This started to happen about a year ago after having my head shaved. The hair at the sides didn't grow back like it had done before. Also a person at school commented on it.

My dad lost all his hair, but it was when it was in his late 20's, not when he was as young as I am now.

This is really distressing me and causing me so much upset. At my young age is there anything I can do to regain the hair I've lost, or at least anything I can do to slow down the process ? Has anybody else here experienced this when they were my age ?

Also a few people have told me I look older than what I am. I was talking to someone recently on MSN and they said they thought I looked about 28. OK, I'm quite tall for my age but this person couldn't tell that - they only saw a face pic. I was really shocked and upset at this. In the past, a few people have told me I looked a year or two older than what I was, but that was only because I've always been quite tall for my age. In my face I only look my age and many people agree, so therefore if anyone thinks I look 12 years older on just a face pic, it can only be because of my receding hairline. Be honest guys, do you think my receding hairline makes me look loads older ? Please don't say what you think I want to hear, I want you to be brutally honest.

Anyway sorry to rant on, but this is causing me so much grief. Has anyone got any suggestions ?

M

You do look older than your age but not necessarily because of your hair. You have a mature looking face... not a bad thing at all.

If you can, post some more detailed pics of your hair and the forum would be able to better help you.

But I would suggest meeting with Farjo's clinic (as it seems you are in the UK) to see if it would be appropriate for someone at the age of 16 to go on Propecia. You may also want to look into Rogaine Foam at this time.

Given your family history and your early balding start you could very well be genetically disposed to advanced hairloss. You can at least try to maintain what you got. But whatever you do, just say no to hair transplants for the next 10 years at least and see where your progression takes you.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Only16- I totally agree with everything aaron said in his post. It is extremely hard losing your hair at such a young age. This site will be very good for you. There is a ton of support from people who have been in your shoes. You are wayyy too young for a hair transplant. See if you are right for medical therapy for your hair, rogaine, propecia, nizoral shampoo, etc.

Good luck to you. You will find a lot of support here!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

only16,

Welcome. I also support everything that aaron already stated. Yes, you do appear older than your age but not in a bad way. Just mature. You'll grow into your look in no time I'm sure.

At your age your doctor will probably not want to prescribe Propecia (finasteride) for you as it is approved for use my men 18 years and older. However, you can start Rogaine (minoxidil) and I do recommend doing so. It mays help you retain the hair you have now and there's a chance you may also see some additional growth.

You've got youth on your side. There are many more options available to you than there was when I began to lose my hair more than 20 years ago. Do what you can to slow the progression of hair loss and keep your hair as long as you can. There just may be new and more effective hair loss treatments available when you really need them most.

Good luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I myself began losing my hair around 15/16. Although I wouldn’t say that your hair line is the main reason for people thinking you're older than you are I think you should take aaron1234's advice and see a qualified hair loss physician like Dr. Farjo. When I was 18 I was scared out of getting on finasteride and it is something I regret to this day. I have experienced no side effects and actually had a very good regrowth from it and I know had I taken it then I would not have progressed to the point I am now. Although Like TTP said 16 is definitely too young for a transplant or finasteride but I do think you should meet with a trustworthy hair loss physician to get a good assessment of where you stand and what your options are. Everyone on this board will tell you early detection is key. So listen to the advice and try to hold on to all the native hair you can.

And just to add you mentioned that you were rather tall and judging by your picture it looks to be true. So just know that you have the height on your side and it looks like you would look pretty good with a shaved head so in your situation losing your hair might not be that bad. You might be able to pull off the bad ass look pretty good. Just a thought

As someone said, you have a mature looking face which is probably the main thing. It's not a bad thing at all. I would say that what makes your face look mature is that it's a very masculine face while most guys your age still look very boyish. It's the kind of face that works well with a shaved head, which as you're from the UK you'll know is a common style these days and one which won't look out of place if you choose to take that path.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I had the same issue mate. Yes, it's difficult. But, if you have hope of regaining lost hair, then try to use cosmetics while you're on treatment.

It's hard to maintain all the time, but try to use Couvre for your temples and Toppik everywhere else. It's the best way of fitting in on a Friday night, the lasses won't think anything odd.

Alternatively, you seem to have a good face for the bald look, so go Bruce Willis with a a nice bit of facial hair. There's hope as long as you keep it clean.