Number of grafts and NW scale??

Hi everyone,

I am 27 years old guy. I have been loosing my hairs since I was 16 years of age. I started wearing a hair system at the age of 24 and I am still wearing it (all day all night). I have decided to get rid of this fake hair piece and get an HT very soon. I need a second opinion about the NW scale and the number of grafts that I will be needing.

As per me, it seems like my NW scale is 5A or may be close to 6 and number of grafts needed should be around between 6000. What do you guys think? Also, since very few results are their for the NW6 patients what would you guys suggest me to do, should I go for an HT or keep wearing the hair piece (I just hate wearing it :-( ).

PS: Please bear with the picture quality will try to upload some better pics very soon.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Hello Maverick

I'm sorry. I don't see any photos of you by which to make a judgement . However, I would say that if you're pushing a Norwood 6, it would probably take much more than 6000 grafts to have a good result. And do you have that much doner hair? If you realy hate the hairpiece, have you considered the shaved look? I'm no expert, I just wanted to give you my two cents.

Hello Maverick

I'm sorry. I don't see any photos of you by which to make a judgement . However, I would say that if you're pushing a Norwood 6, it would probably take much more than 6000 grafts to have a good result. And do you have that much doner hair? If you realy hate the hairpiece, have you considered the shaved look? I'm no expert, I just wanted to give you my two cents.

Hi Shedding,

Thanks for the reply. The pictures are on my website (if you click on my name you'll see it). I don't how to add my signature to the thread.

I reason I hate hairpiece is that it comes with so much CARE and their is always a chance that someone someday could ask - WHY THE HELL YOUR HAIR LOOK DIFF??

Maverick, based upon your photos, I don't think you're a candidate for surgery. Your lateral humps are dropping, and you appear to have some retrograde alopecia above your ears. Those factors, combined with the fact that you already have an advanced balding pattern and your young age indicate that you're very likely going to advance to at least a full blown NW 7 level. Thus, hair transplantation is simply not an option for you.

Tough call here. I would consult with some top docs and see what they recommend. You are going to need realistic goals, a solid game plan, and a ton of grafts, and at least two surgeries I would say. Best of luck.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I actually think this guy has a shot at some nice improvement with the right game plan and a realistic goal. When I saw TC's comments before I opened the photos, I was expecting much worse. I would see what a few docs suggest but you will need 4000-5000 to start and go from there.

Also, get on meds fast!!

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Maverick,

I don't see the retrograde alopecia that TC17 does, but then again, your pics aren't very good either.

I'd consult with a doc as soon as possible. He will probably put you on medication. If it turns out that you do not have retrograde alopecia, then I’d say that you do have a good chance for a reasonable cosmetic improvement via HT.

Of course, you're going to have to have very realistic expectations. You're definitely never going to have hair like Elvis, but I do think you have a shot at something better than your hair system that looks age appropriate and natural.

I’d put you at a NW6. As for graft count, I'd say a minimum of 6,000 grafts, but probably closer to 8,000—if you even have that many available, which you probably don't. Most people have between 6,000-8,000. However, I do think 6,000 will give you some decent coverage.

Also, it will certainly take at least two procedures. Probably two procedures of 3,000-3,500 FUT each and then maybe they can squeeze out another 1,000 via FUE later. This is all conjecture though; your case looks difficult. Go see a doc and let us know what kind of donor availability you have.

Good luck.

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

It depends on your goals. I'm a NW6 and had over 5000 grafts. That amount was sufficient to kill the bald look. In know that my crown area is still exposed but my overall appearance has improved pretty dramatically. I still hope to get at least 1000 grafts via FUE. At any rate, when you're a NW6 anything is a huge improvement. Unless people look at me from behind, they can hardly tell I'm balding.

Thanks everyone,

Reason why my hair is looking diffused above the ears is may be because I got the hair cut that day. If doc say NO for HT then I am thinking of getting some good grafts paced at the top and around the temple area and wear a hair system starting may be 1inch from the front. This way I could an illusion of having full head of hair and may be in next 5-10 years they will come up with good stem technology which could give me a good coverage. What say guys?? I don't think I am having anymore of hairloss {I already lost full head :( }. I am not even married till now and I don't thing any girl would like to marry such a bald guy like me.

Maverick,

Definitely consult with a physician. In the meantime take a look at these examples of NW VI patients.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I was expecting to see world war III following the earlier comment near the top when I opened your photos.

You have a chance. There are three surgeons in the world who do crazy mega sessions. Get in touch with Hasson & Wong, and Rahal.

Some dude on a forum years ago (not sure if it was this one, doubt it), he was a Norwood 6. Was told on the forum that he "wasn't a candidate".

Two ops later, he looked like a champion.

You'll need a 4-5k first op if the surgeon can extract them. You have to be realistic of course.

Use propecia.

Don't ever let anyone tell you it's over before it's over.

Good luck!

Edited by Dutch

Hey Mav

You didn't answer my question about shaving. Now that I've seen your photos, it appears you have a "Jason Statham" head. I really envy you guys that can look good shaved. And don't assume that the ladies won't like it. (May have to have an athletic bod to go along with it) I don't know if you can tell by my photo, but my head is so big, I can't even buy hats that fit. (The disadvantage of having a large brain I suppose)

I am not even married till now and I don't thing any girl would like to marry such a bald guy like me.

Maverick,

If this is how you think, then baldness is the least of your worries.

Women want to marry men. Men don't think in such terms. Change your thinking and your reality will follow.

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Maverick,

Women want to marry men. Men don't think in such terms. Change your thinking and your reality will follow.

Corvettester

Have to agree with this, Maverick. ^ You look like you could pull off the rugged, shaved head look if you develop the requisite level of confidence to go with it.

Are those bald areas above your ears due to the hair system?

You could achieve a nice HT result, but what are your goals regarding coverage? Are you looking to frame the face with less concern for the crown?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

This is what you can achieve with Rahal in one large pass if your donor will allow. This is only at 6-7 months grown in. There are a great number of examples like this but a consultation will be needed of course so remain cautiously optimistic.

Good luck.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/160548-5000-grafts-dr-rahal-pics.html

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Have to agree with this, Maverick. ^ You look like you could pull off the rugged, shaved head look if you develop the requisite level of confidence to go with it.

Are those bald areas above your ears due to the hair system?

You could achieve a nice HT result, but what are your goals regarding coverage? Are you looking to frame the face with less concern for the crown?

Yes the balding areas above the ears are due the hair system only. I used to use one with clips. It pulled all my hairs from that area I have stopped using those kind of hair system but the hairs never grew.

You are right Mattj, I am more concerned about framing the face than crown. I am thinking of getting my consultation from Hasson and Wong, and Dr. Rahal. Lets see what they say.

You definitely stand a chance pal. When I saw the earlier comment & open your pics, I was expecting world war III. You look like a Norwood 5a-6 but it's not the end. You want to leave the wig. Some dude years ago on a forum (not sure if it was on this one), he was a Norwood 6, ppl told him on the forum "he wasn't a candidate". He had two ops & came out looking like a champion.

Don't ever let anyone tell you it's over before it's even started. It's not over till it's over.

There are 3 surgeons in the world who will take this mission on.

Hasson & Wong, Rahal. They've dealt with advanced norwoods in the past.

Consult with them along others.

You'll definitely need a mega session if it's possible. Maybe 4k if the surgeon can extract it & another session later.

Thanks for those beautiful lines it has boost up my confidence level. I have to fight with this bald head can't take it anymore.

Yes the balding areas above the ears are due the hair system only. I used to use one with clips. It pulled all my hairs from that area I have stopped using those kind of hair system but the hairs never grew.

You are right Mattj, I am more concerned about framing the face than crown. I am thinking of getting my consultation from Hasson and Wong, and Dr. Rahal. Lets see what they say.

It's always good to get opinions 'from the horses mouth', so to speak. Good luck.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Maverick,

Corvettester

Getting rid of the baldness has been the most priority thing for me since the age of 16 (that's when I started loosing my hairs). The reason I am saying about the marriage because I have seen girls walking away from me because of my bald head. When I started wearing the system got new gal frds but still, when they know I am wearing a system they started acting little weird. Now my parents are looking to find a girl for me (I am Indian so ARRANGE MARRIAGE) and I am concern about when I tell the girl that I am bald how will she react.

This is what you can achieve with Rahal in one large pass if your donor will allow. This is only at 6-7 months grown in. There are a great number of examples like this but a consultation will be needed of course so remain cautiously optimistic.

Good luck.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/160548-5000-grafts-dr-rahal-pics.html

You look so good and its only 6 months!!! Hoping to get same type of coverage but I am not sure whether my donor(hair density) will allow that. Got to get a consultation pretty soon I guess.

Hey Mav

You didn't answer my question about shaving. Now that I've seen your photos, it appears you have a "Jason Statham" head. I really envy you guys that can look good shaved. And don't assume that the ladies won't like it. (May have to have an athletic bod to go along with it) I don't know if you can tell by my photo, but my head is so big, I can't even buy hats that fit. (The disadvantage of having a large brain I suppose)

I have tried shaving my head (early 20's) it looks good also but I always wanted a head of hair that's why I am here. But if nothing works I can always shave it down and get those 6 packs to go with it.

Thanks for those beautiful lines it has boost up my confidence level. I have to fight with this bald head can't take it anymore.

Sorry had to delete the duplicate messages, everytime I hit 'edit', it duplicated lol.

You'll get a beautiful wife one day no doubt :D

Getting a consultation with those 3 doctors will do you a world of good, so you know what to expect.

Look at Can'tdecide & his 6 months results. He certainly made a good decision.

Send them pics & they will send you a review of what's possible from their point of views.