Am I going bald?

Hey guys, new round here so apologies if I'm in the wrong place.

Basically I'm at a cross roads in life, I'm 25 currently looking for work and not really sure where life is heading. I'm even less sure where my hair is heading. For about 4 or 5 years now, my hair at the front of my head has become thinner than the rest of my hair and having just shaved it off, it is naturally more noticeable. My hairline is something I thought I'd never have to worry about.

My dad who passed away at the beginning of last year Aged 57, died with a completely full head of hair. Granted it was slightly greying but I'd always thought I'd be safe in the knowledge knowing that genetically I had a good chance of keeping hold of my hair until later life. I've heard of the old fable that hair 'skips a generation' and having never met my granddad (he died before I was born) I can't draw any comparisons to that.

However, I don't believe I am receeding. The hairline hasn't drifted off to the back of my head, neither has my hair physically fallen out in a dramatic manner. It has just for the best start stopped growing.

From the age of about 17, I've dyed my hair. Its been red, its been black, its seldom been blonde but rarely has it been its natural colour. Ofcourse you hear stories of how dyeing your hair makes your hair fall out, but would it be logical to think that it would instead stop your hair growing in patches?

The other theory, as mentioned above, I havent had an easy few years there's been problems; I've lost a few people close to me, I've failed in relationships, been through depression and I've generally been unhappy for large periods of time. Saying that I think I'm a pretty upbeat, optimistic kinda guy and can normally dig myself out of these wholes and get through what life throws at me. But is there a possibility that the 'patched' hair loss could be stress induced?

You can't see it very well with these photos, but until yesterday I had quite a lot of scruffy blonde hair. But if ever my hair was to get wet, if ever I took a hat off that I'd been wearing, you'd see patches of baldness scattered over the front and there is only so much combing over to cover it one can take.

Am I naive to rule out male pattern baldness? Or do you believe similarly to me about the theories of stress or overly dying my hair. Don't get me wrong, I know there are hundreds of people worse off with me. One of my best mates of the same age has literally no hair growing on the top of his head, so I am grateful in that respect. But I'm very much a confidence person, and when little niggly things get to me like this, it is a massive blow to my ego.

If anyone could shed some light on to what you think the cause of this could be, or a way in which I could help start the regrowth of my hair in this area. (I've considered regaine but been put off as it only seems to be advertised to people suffering from male pattern baldness) it would be greatly appreciated.

I've attached photos to this thread so you can have a good look and hopefully help me draw a conclusion.

Again sorry if this is in the right place and thanks for welcoming me on to your forums.

Simon

Shropshire-20110531-00051.jpg.3cd0c331722d3203e5c75e415d935c2e.jpg

Shropshire-20110531-00053.jpg.17d44db943fe7b14e2a60f715cdc2953.jpg

Shropshire-20110531-00055.jpg.89fdc62fb620bc54ec8ad36a0a4b677d.jpg

Shropshire-20110531-00056.jpg.6da68c549f6b916af3001d9e63e8ada6.jpg

Shropshire-20110531-00058.jpg.4738479a41d87e6a4548461100c0ae09.jpg

You appear to be what you call a diffuse thinner, so the answer is, yes, you do appear to be losing your hair. Also, yes, I think you would be naive to rule out male pattern baldness. Women dye their hair everyday into their late years. You don't see a rash of thinning women running around.

I would recommend seeing about getting in finasteride if you are really concerned about keeping your hair.

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

You are probably not right if you don't get on finasteride. Then there is a chance it could beef your hair up and stop or slow future loss.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Your pattern is slightly unusual in that you seem to have higher density along your hairline than in a large area behind it, but like others have said, it does look like you have a diffuse male pattern balding pattern.

Finasteride is more likely to thicken up a diffuse pattern than restore a receded hairline, so probability is on your side should you choose to start taking that medication.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Sorry to hear about the rough past couple of years. I started to notice my hair loss right around age 25 too, so I understand the added blow to your confidence and self-esteem.

Unfortunately, I cannot make out much from your photos. It looks like you either have really fine hair with low density, or that you’re a diffuse thinner. Either way, it looks like you are definitely experiencing some thinning.

The first thing I would do is go consult with a hair restoration physician in person: not online, not over the phone, but in person! He’s probably going to recommend medication such as mox and fin. I’ve seen many guys on the HTN who have had enormous success from medication.

I don’t know where you are, but judging from your features, your language and the shirt you’re wearing, I'll assume that you’re in the England. Hence, may I suggest seeing Farjo Medical Centre in Manchester for a consultation. They'll be able to give you an accurate analysis of what's happening with your hair.

Keep your head up though. This is one of life’s obstacles of which, to a certain degree, you can control the outcome. Good luck.

Corvettester

Edited by corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Hey Corvette, I too believe hes from England, espcially after having looked at his profile!

Chuck,

Excellent detective work my friend!

And here I was trying to figure out the logo on his jersey! LOL!;)

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Hello. It appears that your hair is thinning all over, meds like propecia & minoxidil can help. I would definitely stop dying the hair. The constant hair dye doesn't help your cause. Depending on where you live, why not see a hair surgeon and let them examine you.

While dying hair isn't gentle on the hair itself, it doesnt impact the follicule? And damaged short hairs are quite easy to recover from compared to say someone with long hair. I know that dying hair can actually create a thicker appearance. At least it did for me when was into adding blond to my hair.

Edited by Sigildark