Does hair transplant hurt?

I’ve been looking around for a couple years at this procedure. Almost had it done in Europe, but chickened out. I am terrified of needels.

Last time I had to give blood at the doctor office, I fainted.

How bad does it hurt? I’d like to hear from people who have had it done - please be honest. Can they put me to sleep like when people have operations? This is my biggest fear which has held me back - even looked into a piece, but turned off by that.

Hi Mustard...

Take a look at this thread, you'll get a feel of what to expect at the procedure. The procedure itself is pain-free since you are on local anesthetic. Its the aftermath, that's going to be more painful in terms of worries, depression and not knowing what to expect

As far as putting you into sleep, not sure why you have to go to such an extent. Once you have the anesthetic administered, you wont feel a thing. And, there will be a few more pin pricks in case you feel slight sensation from time-to-time during the procedure. And, of course, you'll be prescribed some tabs for a few days to heal the donor area and kill the pain

For the sake of your hair, you have to experience the pain of a few pin pricks...I guess there's no way out of it :) All the best!

Mustard,

I've had two procedures and there is very minimal discomfort. The worst is the initial injections to numb your scalp. After that you'll feel nothing but tugging and pressure. No pain at all. I hardly needed the pain killers that my doctor prescribed but took some as a preventative measure for a couple of days.

My tattoos hurt much worse!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Mustard,

I've had two procedures and there is very minimal discomfort. The worst is the initial injections to numb your scalp. After that you'll feel nothing but tugging and pressure. No pain at all. I hardly needed the pain killers that my doctor prescribed but took some as a preventative measure for a couple of days.

My tattoos hurt much worse!

hmm even if it is a lil painful, i think its worth the SHOT

The anesthetics block any pain from the procedure, but you'll feel tiny pricks when the anesthetic is applied. Trust me its nothing you can't handle. The pain of hair loss is much worse.

Guest Nicko3105

hey mate a ht procedure is not sore, the needles are uncomfortable but not a lasting discomfort, i would be alot more worries about going to a dentist:D

Doesn't hurt at all have a look at this thread i made a while ago it has a lot of peoples opinion on pain during hts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/160228-did-anyone-find-surgery-painful.html

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Yes the needles hurt like a mofo. The cutting doesnt hurt, but you feel pressure and pulling from them digging into your scalp and ripping out a chunk of your head/follicles. The entire experience was very disturbing to me and i cringe at the though of having to do it again.

With that said. Other than the painful injections, the procedure doesnt not hurt too much, but is very scary. Thats why they give you valium and other drugs to calm you down. The aftermath of the surgery, including sleeping is just a horrible experience.

But in the end, I will say, I dont regret having the procedure down because i look 10 years younger!. So it was worth it!. Im hot stuff!

I must admit the day after it hurts about the same as being kicked in the nuts but u can miss that pain if you remember to take your pills before they wear off I didn't take any pain killers or sleeping pills because I wanted to have my wits about me to make sure I didn't get any knocks or head rubbing action while I was asleep, the pain was that bad I couldn't sleep for 3 days. The best way I can describe the after pain is like the worst hangover imaginable but when I took the pills after 3 days I couldn't feel a thing.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

The surgery itself doesn't hurt. There is some discomfort while being in a certain position for a long time. My neck was killing me. Ah but the night after surgery that is what you should be asking. It was very difficult to sleep at a 45 degree angle. I kept getting up every couple of hours from the discomfort. I wanted so bad to lie in the bed. I kept turning from left to right to try to get comfortable. Also, I almost threw up. I heard of some people throwing up. So, The first night is the worst.

when I was about to do my first hair transplant some 7 years ago,I read somewhere that it is similar to going to a dentist.and it is.infact it is less painful than a regular dental treatment.the only pain you feel during surgery is the first few anesthetic injections on your scalp.after that nothing.

you will be given pain killers for first few days which will eliminate the pain.

there will be discomfort (assuming you are doing a strip surgery) on the sutured/stapled back side for a while.

overall imo hair transplant is not painful but it is indeed uncomfortable.

how is the discomfort in FUE HT...is it a lil diffeerent from FUT??

neojk,

fue is less invasive. Like with the strip method, you will be numb during the procedure and will not feel much. The main difference after the procedure is that you likely won't have any pain the the donor area after the procedure. I was given a a few over the counter pills to take (Tylenol I think) if I needed. But, I didn't need them.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874