finasteride isn't working

florida23

my stats: im 24, 6'2, 180lbs, and my dad is a norwood 6. i can tell from the thinning that's what i'll be. my dad is the only person in my family that is that bald. my mom's side has all of their hair. one of my dad's brothers has a full head of hair in his 50s, the other has thinned but started at a much later age. my dad's grandfather on his mom's side was bald, so i guess thats where he got it.

From searching around here and other sites I've noticed that finasteride (I take 1/4 of the 5mg generic a day) doesn't work on about 15% of those who use it. I've been using it for about 6 months and either it has done nothing, or it slowed at a very slow rate.

ive heard conflicting things on these websites about rogaine. should i be on it at the same time? i have naturally thin hair, so im afraid if rogaine causes me to shed and get weaker hair back then there was no point. i assume staying on fin wont hurt.

also, i was reading some stuff about avodart, but havent seen it mentioned that much. are any of you on avodart for hairloss? at 24 and already seeing the norwood 6 on the way i either need to slow the thinning or start shaving because i doubt i will have enough donor hair to cover a 6

Everything I have read and heard is that finasteride takes a full year to see the results, so you probably have not been taking it long enough to determine how well it works for you.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Florida,

Altogether, it can take anywhere from 6-12 months to actually tell whether or not you're responding to the finasteride. At 6 months, there's a definite chance that you could still have time to see any initial shedding or slow restoration periods pass and see more definitive results by the 12 month mark.

If you can hold out, it's probably best to wait and make a full assessment at the 12 month mark. Additionally, you may want to consider consulting with one of our recommended hair restoration physicians to analyze the Propecia usage and how your body is responding to the medication.

As far as minoxidil (Rogaine) is concerned, you definitely can utilize it while taking Propecia, and using these medications together will actually be more effective. Avodart is something you can discussion with a personal physician (or one of the recommended hair restoration physicians above), but most will probably recommend Propecia for the time being. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I didn't notice any thickening until about the 8-10 month mark. Stick with it because it is helping, at least a little bit.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

• 1 month later...
Guest Ian512017155

I would give it a year to see how it works for you. Even if it doesnt regrow your hair it will maintain the hair you already have now. I know people who after 12 months etc you havent noticed any hair growth and stopped using only to be devasted that their hair loss resumed.

I would give it a year to see how it works for you. Even if it doesnt regrow your hair it will maintain the hair you already have now. I know people who after 12 months etc you havent noticed any hair growth and stopped using only to be devasted that their hair loss resumed.

So true that it deserves quoting.

Maintaining hair is the drug's main job - the task it is most successful at - and the only sign that it's working is what isn't happening; i.e. your hairloss is not progressing.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Dear Florida,

You received very sound advice from the posts above. At six months it may just be starting to work.

Why not take some highly detailed pictures for quantitative documentation from month six to month twelve?

Why not visit a recommended medical professional who can do an analysis and document your next six months progress on finasteride.

Good luck Florida. Keep us posted

"Opinions and expressions are solely my own!"

• 1 month later...

Have been on 2.5mg fin and dut 0.5mg DAILY for two years with no effect, shedding still the same as before and have been steadily increasing the dose over a 4 year period starting off with 1mg of FIN...

I keep going because I have no other choice but when even such a strong dose of both medicines doesn't work it is gutting.

Miklaw,

Are you under a physicians care? Did you do any blood work?

This may not be case where more is better. I caution you with just upping the dose until the subjective desired result has been attained (if it is attainable).

These are potent medications that affect your endocrine system in many different pathways.

You mentioned that you have no other choice. Why is that so?

Please have an evaluation and laboratory work (if not already under a physicians care) up before you self administer continuing increased dosages of these medications.

"Opinions and expressions are solely my own!"

hi, thanks for the response, no issues with bloodwork regarding thyroid or anything like that. I have seen cases of higher dosages working but doesn't seem to be doing so in my case... I say no other choice because I guess there's no where to go from here medication wise to put a stop to this thing.

I have experienced similar results in terms of experiencing no positive signs of halted hair loss, nor any regrowth of shed hair. On the contrary, it's apparent that I have had further diffuse thinning all over my scalp after being on fin (proscar) for 7+ months. I'm far from being completely bald (...yet) and initially started taking fin to stop and deter hair loss that started to show in my hairline and temples. But after 7 months, I am disappointed that I have experienced a prolonged period of shedding and an accelerated diffuse and thinning not just in those particular areas, but over the top of my scalp as well.

In the last two weeks, it has gotten noticeably worse where I have this weird balding patch/hairline in the front that's making my hair part in a way I can't control...

Was it a mistake to hop on fin to target initial hair loss for the frontal and temple regions? Anyone have better experiences? Would taking rogaine be the next step?

Edited by Posrex

I've been on Finasteride (Generic Proscar cut in 4 pieces) for 5 months now and my hair loss slowed down quite a bit. I notice it while taking a shower were less hair is falling and while applying Rogaine Foam.

I think its worth trying. The side effects were there the 1st couple of months (tingling in testicles), now theyre gone.

Hi aseda1979,

Thanks for sharing. I cut my proscar tabs into quarters, as well. I'm glad you are experiencing positive results, as I have yet to see any improvements, myself. I know everyone responds differently and am trying to ride it out for a year but am wondering if there is anyone who can share that they've experienced regrowth of initially shed hair.

Should I have taken fin to treat, or I guess halt, gradual thinning and hair loss for the front/hairline/temples? I fear I may have started fin too early and that it's accelerating the hair loss in those regions that would have fallen out eventually in later years.

For me it made and its making quite a difference. I dont see 10 or 20 hairs in my pillow anymore. I rarely see like 2 or 3 if any. Unfortunately there's no way to see if they're growing cause it takes at least 3 months for hair that fell down to start growing again.

Fin is better at halting hair loss and thicken the hair that you keep thus making your hair look fuller. Combined with rogaine will improve your condition....

...Unfortunately there's no way to see if they're growing cause it takes at least 3 months for hair that fell down to start growing again.

Fin is better at halting hair loss and thicken the hair that you keep thus making your hair look fuller. Combined with rogaine will improve your condition....

Right. Which is why I'm growing more concerned that by month 7, I have yet to notice any regrowth, or at least maintaining of the volume and thickness I had originally when starting fin. I have not experienced a lapse in shed either, as I've been shedding constantly to the point where my hair volume has become noticeably more diffused than before. My hope is that I'm a late responder and I want to commit to giving it a full year, but I've read about the experiences of others who have gone on fin for over a year, only to have experienced an accelerated diffuse and thinning after starting fin. It's enough to the point where I know the drug is causing the diffuse thinning.

I'm happy that rogaine/minox has supplemented your results in a positive way and will probably add that to my desperate fight against hair loss, sooner or later.

Edited by Posrex

Yep, i have like 3 on my profile. Not the best pics in the world, and my hair is kind of long in the first one I took in January which is when I started fin. My hair now in the month of July is cut shorter and it's more visible that the volume has taken a bit more of a hit in front and on top which has made me more self conscious. I'll post current pics of my hair by tomorrow.

Do you have pics of your own progress?

Edited by Posrex

Im being lazy at putting pics, some of them are in my profile link.

I will post them as soon as I can this week, my wife's sick of taking pics of the back of my head...

I'd recommend you send some pics to a HT doc so he can give u an assessment of whats going on up top of your head

There are some good docs recommended on this site. Most, if not all are pretty good. If you take your time you might find someone thats close to where you live and recommended here so you can call him/her and pay a visit...

Check on the links for recommended docs...