Propecia- Can you have kids while on it?!

zo1279

Hey Everyone...I am considering taking propecia and I know all the potential sides and other discussions...but I want to hear from everyone taking it in regards to has it hindered you from having kids? Meaning I am told if i want to have a child, to get off of it a month or so before I would try to conceive...has anyone had any issues with this. Please tell me your stories...because this scares me in that I don't want to mess around with this if it could make me infertile. Thanks!

Many guys father kids while on Propecia. Some stop it just to be real safe, but the dangers in birth defects lay in a woman handling broken Propecia tablets.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

This should help you it's a email from Dr Lee i found to another forum user who knows a thing or two about these things but in short the answer is yes it is fine merck didn't do much research in the early days so had to put disclaimers on the propecia boxes.

3 years ago I sent an email to Dr. Lee (www.minoxidil.com).

"I have used propecia and Dr Lee 5% minoxidil solutions since 2001 with good results. I plan to have a child and i would like to know if i have to discontinue the use of these products."

ANSWER:

You do not have to discontinue any of them.

"On your website you say that it is recommended that its use be discontinued two weeks prior to procreative sex. The only side effect i have reported is a decrease in ejaculate volume (not in libido). My sex life has not changed at all. But i have already read on the net that the use of finasteride should be discontinued 3 months (or 6 months) prior to procreative sex. Can you please help me?"

ANSWER:

Read the attached article that I wrote recently.

Best wishes,

Richard Lee, M.D.

Fortunately I have a beautiful healthy girl, but I discontinue the use of Finasteride for 10 months

FINASTERIDE AND BIRTH DEFECTS

There are very few more anxiety provoking times in anyone's life than possibly causing a birth defect in one's own unborn child. So, it's quite understandable that the mention of a possible birth defect with the use of finasteride (Propecia 1mg and Proscar 5mg, Merck) would cause considerable anxiety and concern. The package insert for Proscar states under the section on Contraindications: "Because of the ability of Type II 5alpha reductase inhibitors to inhibit the conversion of testosterone to DHT, finasteride may cause abnormalities of the external genitalia of a male fetus of a pregnant woman who receives finasteride". So, is the risk real? Theoretically, yes. Practically, no.

The specific birth defect that can be caused by the absence or inhibition of the Type II 5-alpha reductase enzyme in the male embryo is hypospadias. Hypospadias is a birth defect in which the urinary tract opening is on the ventral surface (under side) of the penis rather than at the tip of the penis. There have never been congenital abnormalities observed in female fetuses at any dosage of finasteride.

During the research and development phase of finasteride, studies were done on experimental animals. Rats, rabbits, and rhesus monkeys were given finasteride to determine its relationship to birth defects, i.e. hypospadias.

Hypospadias did occur in the male offspring, when pregnant rats were administered finasteride equivalent to 5-5000 times the amount of recommended for men in treating MPB (1mg/daily). The critical period during which these effects can be induced in male rats was determined to be during the 16th ??“17th days of gestation.

In rabbit fetuses exposed to finasteride in utero from days 6-18 of gestation at doses equivalent to 5000 times the recommended human dosage, no evidence of malformations was observed. This result would be expected, since there was no exposure during the critical period of genital system development in rabbits.

When pregnant rhesus monkeys were given intravenous finasteride at a level equivalent to at least 750 times the highest estimated exposure of pregnant women to finasteride from semen of men taking 1mg/day, there were no genital abnormalities observed.

In the human embryo, the sensitive period of external genitalia development is during the 7th - 9th weeks of gestation. Although the chromosomal and genetic sex of an embryo is determined at fertilization by the kind of sperm, either Y-bearing or X-bearing, that fertilizes the ovum, male and female morphological characteristics do not begin to develop until the seventh week. Prior to this time, the genital systems of the two sexes are similar, and the initial period of genital development is referred to as the ??indifferent state of sexual development'. About six weeks after conception, if a Y chromosome is present in the embryo's cells (as it is in normal males), a gene on the chromosome directs the undifferentiated gonads to become testes. If the Y chromosome is not present (as in normal females), the undifferentiated gonads will become ovaries. If the gonads become testes, they begin to produce androgens, primarily testosterone, by about eight weeks after conception. These androgens stimulate development of the one set of the genital ducts into the epididymes, vas deferens, and ejaculatory duct. The presence of androgens also stimulates development of the penis and the scrotum. Hypospadias can result if there is inadequate production of androgens by the fetal testes.

Since the sensitive period of development of the external genitalia in the human embryo is the 7th to 9th weeks of gestation, there can be no danger to the child if the father is taking finasteride at the time of conception. Originally, Merck decided to err on the side of caution and warned against the possible problem of finasteride transfer in semen. This warning has since been removed from the package insert. Considering the medical/legal implications of a theoretically possible link of finasteride treatment to birth defects, it is reasonable to assume that Merck & Co. must be very confident in knowing that impregnating a woman while taking finasteride absolutely does not cause birth defects.

Nor is there any evidence of birth defects when the father taking finasteride has intercourse with the pregnant mother during the critical periods of sexual development. The in utero effects of finasteride exposure during the period of embryonic and fetal development (gestation days 20-100) were evaluated in the rhesus monkey, a species fairly predictive of human development. Intravenous administration of finasteride to pregnant monkeys at doses as high as 800ng/day (at least 60 to 120 times the highest estimated exposure of pregnant women to finasteride from semen of men taking 5mg/day) caused no abnormalities in male fetuses.

Still, Merck retains this admonition: "Women should not handle crushed or broken Propecia tablets when they are pregnant or may be potentially pregnant because of the possibility of absorption of finasteride and the subsequent potential risk to a male fetus. Propecia tablets are coated and will prevent contact with the active ingredient during normal handling, provided that the tablets have not been broken or crushed."

Considering that intravenous administration of finasteride to pregnant experimental animals during the critical periods of sexual development didn't cause birth defects, there is no reason to believe that transdermal absorption of finasteride from handling broken tablets could cause birth defects in the male child. But, since Propecia has not been approved by the FDA for use by women, Merck has nothing to lose by retaining this warning. In fact, it has good p.r. value.

So, can finasteride cause birth defects? Yes, there is a theoretical possibility that it can, but the probability is close to nil, when finasteride is taken in the recommended dosages. Since Propecia was approved by the FDA on 22 December 1997 and Proscar on 28 August 1996, millions of doses of finasteride have been taken and there has not been a single case report of a birth defect. Now that's reassuring information.

Richard Lee, M.D.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

I've been on it for 10 years and never had erection problems.

Spex just out of interest did you stop taking it while conceiving?

Did you continue to take finasteride and have sex with her without condoms while she was pregnant?

What is the sex of your twins?

Cheers pal i'd be very interested to know.

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Cheers pal that's well worth knowing another persons experiance fathering.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

The video above is about a very small amount of finasteride takers

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

With Gods grace i fathered a healthy boy after 10 yrs on finasteride. i was off of it for over 6 weeks prior to my wife and i trying to conceive. it was planned that way, and although some may say it is an unecessary conservative approach, i highly recommend it. even some things are not as important as hair. i got on it again when she got pregnant.

MAKE sure your wife does not come near the pills and you wash your hands thoroughly after touching it.

To some men, propecia is the devil & it's poison, to others it's very holy & they defend it because they haven't had side effects or they don't think they have done.

I've used it for 3 years. I'm as horny as a dog but it has had an impact on me- just a little bit. I think I now produce less semen or think I do & it's slightly more watery. As a precaution, I take the tablet every 2-3 days.

6 months after my transplant or even a year after, I will get off it & will use saw palmetto instead & mino foam on the crown.

I am thinking of Hair Transplant and I just started reading stuff here and came to this Forum and noticed your thread. Signed up, just to respond to you, my experience with Propecia was not very good, bad part is doctor never told me about side affects and I was too busy reading about it, worst part I was very new in my relationship anyway u know what I mean, I noticed difference in myself and finally after doing some research I found what is impacting me luckily I took the drug for few weeks only and stopped taking it. It took me some time to recover.

I would surely advice if you plan to go ahead with this drug please keep track of yourself if u dont find any changes u are good otherwise just stop. Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps you ought to look at this website before you go there

PROPECIAHELP: Unresolved Finasteride Propecia Proscar side effects info & forum

thousands of men have suffered from propecia- some very extreme side effects

I used it and believed all the hype - but soon enough I experienced what suposedly only 2% do- side effects . I thought it was just my bad luck until I came across forums that were dedicated to having the drug banned and I realised how it effected so many users and how it messes with your bodies ability to produce testosterone.

From my experience I would play it safe-

but dont take my word for it -- get informed

check the website above -

heres a few recent email/s from the websites moderator

REGISTER FOR POSSIBLE PROPECIA & PROSCAR USA CLASS ACTION or MASS TORT LITIGATION

All,

As many of you are aware, a class action lawsuit was recently filed in Canada (January 24, 2011) for persistent side effects from taking Propecia and Proscar for male pattern hair loss – CANADIANS, read details & sign up here: Class action lawsuit for Propecia & Proscar filed in Canada.

All,

This is Mew, Administrator of Propeciahelp.com

I have been contacted by Meghan Dwyer of CBS News. They are looking to do a TV news story on men in Chicago suffering from persistent Propecia side effects, which will air in early May on CBS.

IF YOU LIVE IN OR NEAR CHICAGO / NORTHWEST INDIANA AND ARE WILLING TO GO ON CAMERA TO TELL YOUR STORY, PLEASE CONTACT MEGHAN AT madwyer@cbs.com or 312-899-2250.

YOUR PRIVACY WILL BE PROTECTED AS THEY ARE WILLING TO BLACK OUT FACES/CHANGE NAMES/ALTER YOUR VOICE.

Time is of the essence as this story will air in the next week or so. Below is what she wrote to me, and how to get in touch.

Thx

Mew

-------

EMAIL SENT TO ME FROM MEGHAN DWYER AT CBS NEWS:

"We are looking to interview men from Chicago who have experience taking Propecia and experiencing adverse side effects. We will be interviewing men who have taken the drug and are experiencing sexual side effects even after stopping the medication…and we also plan to interview medical experts.

The story is a broadcast story, and will be aired sometime in May. The interview would need to take place near Chicago on-camera and we are really just interested in men that live near to Chicago (or Northwest Indiana). Privacy can certainly be protected – we are willing to black out faces/change names/alter the interviewees voices.

People may contact me via this email address ( madwyer@cbs.com ) or by calling 312-899-2250. The story will air in the next week or so, so getting in touch with us ASAP is important.

Thanks so much and let me know if you have anyone in mind."

Upshot- Im not trying to rain on anyones parade regarding propecia - but overwhelmingly - users are coming to the forefront to express their concern to the effect propecia has had on them - Why would there be websites like these

DONT TRUST MERCK - sheshus -they produce and sell the product so its in their interest to support and affirm it and naturally deny there's any real issue- BUT the thousands that have come forward disagree

Get a good HT surgeon - support that with rogaine- a topical application - but for your own sake - Dont use propecia

opinions to the contrary invited- as this issue needs to be out there and debated so others can make an informed decision

cheers

I've been on Propecia for 3 years. I had a kid no problem without going off of it; he's 9 months now and my third. Pregnant on the first month trying, just like my other two (which I had prior to being on it). My personal experience anyway. So it def hasn't affected me.

thats great osidekid. One for propecia.

and im sure there would be others like you.

Ive just tried to highlight that there are equally a lot of people out there - who havent had a good experience with Propecia-

its up to each individual

My issue is that the producer keep ignoring the warning bells of so many--and

don't provide more appropriate and up dated literature indicating the several side effects the drug has had on its users. But hey that may effect their business-

its up to others to conduct studies -create forums- and lobby government -