When is the very best time to get a HT...?

Hello all,

I wanted to put a question out there, from the title line you'll know what it is, a simple question but of course the answers and opinions are probably not.

All research done, HT surgeon chosen, money aside and all that personal stuff...

When is the very best time to have a HT?

- when you've just started thinning?

- you've been thinning for a while, you're on Finesteride and you think it's stabalised but want extra thickness?

- you've gone past the thinning stage and though the drugs maybe working you'd like to get it done before people could notice they you've had a HT stage (if that makes sense)?

- you're completely bald and you know what you're dealing with?

etc etc

The answer list is endless i guess but i'd like peoples opinions and i think the only people that know the score are the people that have had a HT done!

I look forward to replies from all professionals, non-so-professionals and everyone inbetween.

Regards,

Hello pal.

In my opinion, it'd be more likely to be point 3 or 4.

It's when you've used the meds over the years & the situation has got much worse. You can't go before your time (as much as most of us want to) & can't go when it's too late or keep hesitating.

It's not when you want an op but when you need it & you're ready

Not knowing your age this is a hard call. I would suggest Finesteride for a minimum of 12 months prior to surgery. If you are under 30, try both Finesteride and Rogaine for 24 months. For some reason, people in their 20's seem to respond to Finesteride better.

Think of this as a journey, not a destination.

michaelh -

It may sound strange, from my own experience and that of some friends of mine, most people never seem to notice (or want to believe) that they are thinning. And, before you realize, the damage has been done and it becomes too late

As a couple of others have pointed out, I guess points 2 and 3 make more sense. Its always better to try out non surgical treatments before you take the plunge. Waiting till you get completely bald sounds like waiting till its too late. I would start earlier...

Edited by hairsprint

I'd say 3. Some people have a lot of success with the other drugs and any time you can avoid going under the knife is ideal. Plus, that gives you a lot of time to think about it and weigh all your options. However, if you're older and at point 2, that could be a good option if it's something you really want to do.

top replies guys thanks, i wasn't actually speaking about my own situation i was just putting it out there to see the diversity of the responses and strong opinions people have about the 'best time to have a HT' subject and, well the replies so far have been great, thanks.

anyone else with an idea of the best time, we're talking ideal world (hey we'd have hair right?) to have a HT whoever you maybe and i know we're all different but we're all going through the same thing so i'm kinda speaking hypothetically.

regards,

57mph

In my opinion, the best time is when your particular hailoss has "Showed its hand" so to speak. Thats not to say that you wait until you are too far advanced but waiting until based on your family history and the level in which you have been able to stabilize your loss with meds, you have a good idea of where you are headed. Also, I personally would wait as long as I possibly could so I could get the largest procedure possible to limit the amount of surgeries needed. While somehink that a NW 2 or 3 are the sweet spots, I actually a 4 or 5 are because by the time your a 4 or 5, you know where you are going and with the right doc and good donor, you can get a good one pass surgery to hold you for a while as long as your expectation are reasonable. Also, by the time you reach a 4 or 5, its amazing how your expectations become more realistic :)

To m, a HT is like playing not to lose instead of playing to win. If donor was unlimited, then we could all play to win but with limited donor, in generalthose that are a NW 2 or 3 can play to win and those above a 3 are playing not to lose. We all need to play the best defense possible and plan for the future.

I had a great surgery with Dr, Rahal of over 5000 grafts which covered all but the crown. My crown is not that bad so it does not bother me and therefore while I easily have the donor to go back and have the crown done now and essentially have a complete full look, I am opting to wait it out for a few more hears in case nature plays a nasty joke and decides to really open up my crown or even worse, drop my sides. Therefore, I am playing defense and cant go on offense.

Good Luck

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452