Am I a good candidate for a hair transplant!

Hi all!

Just joined the newtork today after several years of viewing! My hair loss is really getting me down :(. It all started in my early twenties when I noticed hair coming out by the shed load when I was spiking my hair up. Thought nothing of it at first but over the year my temples have receeded really badly. This has effected me dramatically as I have always had a big forehead (just under 3 inches) and with the temples receeding it has made it even worse :(. I now sport a very long fringe to cover up my temples and am scared to death of the wind blowing the hair back off my face! I usually wear a cap or beanie if not at work constantly. I have an extremly thick head of hair everywhere else and it is always commented on which makes the fact that I am receedding even worse as I feel like i am 'lying' to people in some way! My hair loss has been very gradual over 1o years which put me in denial for a long time but not it has effected my confidence so much I need to do something about it.

There is no history of hair loss on even side of the family. My dads quite thin all over but definetly not bald and hes well into his 60s. My grandad on my mums side had a head of hair into his 80s! So i know i will not go totally bald. I have been taken Rogaine and Finpecia on and off for a few years but only started taking it religiously along with Nizoral at the start of this year. The problem I have is all these products are not designed for temple loss but its the only medication option I have!!! This is why I am seriously considering a hair transplant at the Farjo Clinic in Manchester. I am currently awaiting a reply after sending photos but the wait is killing me so I was wandering if someone here could give me the likely outcome!

I basically want the temple ares filling and dependant on price the hair line lowering. Howver hairline lowering is not essential but desired if possible and affordable...the main concern is the temples. The fear I have though from what i have read is a lot of surgeons will not touch temple areas :( . Can someone also give me a rough idea of number of grafts and pricing. I have attached photos below. Thanks! :)

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

You do seem like a good candidate for the procedure, I would say you would need somewhere around 1200-1400 grafts. You should also consider using finasteride and minoxidil to help you retain as much of your native hair as possible, because you may continue receding further back as you age. I'm not sure if that number of grafts is what they will recommend for you but if it was the price should be somewhere between $4800-$6500 depending on the size.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi TheHairupthere!

Thanks for your reply. I have just this second checked my email and Mick from the Farjo medical clinic got back to me and said my hair looked in great shape :) and i would have to book an appointment to see how we can progress. I have kept a log of my hair loss over the past five years and the distance from my eyebrow to my hairline and temple has not changed drastically a few mm at most so I'm guessing its pretty much stabalised for now and I'm hoping this means it will not receed much further as I age. I am on rogaine and finpecia at the mo along with nizoral and will continue to do this.

In your opinion do you think I will be able to lower the hairline and fill the temples succesfully? I just want to be able to go outside without having to wear a cap again! God I'd love that freedom! :)

I personally think your hair looks fine, and if I had that hair I wouldn't touch it. Hairloss is an unpredictable beast: You can use your dad and grandfather as a guideline for your future, but that does not guarantee anything for you. Keep in mind that once you do start down the HT path there is no going back, and that if your loss does advance you will need more procedures.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Considering that that is all you've lost in about a 10 year span and what you have left is strong looking, I believe one session to redo your hairline and temples would work out very well!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

hello goingthreetimes,i personally think your hair looks fine,i would not take it for granted that your loss will not acellarate in the future and at what NW scale you will end up at,if i were you and i was insistant on haveing a HT i would rather have fue rather than a strip procedure considering the small ammount of work you require at the moment,there are several fue surgeons in europe that are reccomended here,what ever you deside all the best with it.have a nice day......

Your hairline does look very good so I don't think they would lower your hairline much if at all, it would mostly go into the corners and temples.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Goingthreetimes,

You know i agree with the other posters your hair does look great.Technically something can always be done but all the + - have to be weighed up.

Also it is not just about now but as we know, hair changes as we age.This will no doubt bring on a commitment to additional treatment.Also often hairlines need a touch up to obtain density requirements, especially when a patient has reasonable coverage behind.

We always like to see patients in cases like yours to really weigh things up.Also we like you to meet patients who have had similar work as this will help in your thinking.

Maybe send your pictures to lots of doctor's on here to see their strategy options.In truth there will never be a right or wrong but as long as you understand everything, you will be in the winning seat.

Mick

Patient coordinator for Dr. Bessam Farjo who is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks guys for all your comments I really appreciate it...I wish I'd joined years ago as I could have done with this support in my early twenties (think I was seriously in denial back then though!). I told my girlfriend yesterday about what I was considering doing and she said she never even thought I was losing my hair...But to be fair i always keep a long fringe or wear a cap/beanie when I'm with her! She basically said if it makes me happy then go ahead and do it and she will fully support me! :) But she pointed out also that she believes I have bulit it up so much in my head over the years I'm making it out to be alot worse than it is.....I think I'm my own worsed critic. As I have only started using the big 3 together and constantly from the start of this year I might give it a little bit more time before I decide to go down the HT route but I am still gonna book a conseltation at Farjo to see what they say.....Thanks again guys you have really helped me out! :)

Hello Goingthreetimes.i think you made the right decision,Dr farjo won't do any work on you if he or she feels that it is unnesasary as they seem like a very ethical team.Good luck to you and have a nice day

Your girlfriend sounds like a keeper. :) I agree with her and everyone else who has said that your hair looks good how it is. Your hairline looks mature, but to look mature isn't a bad thing. There's a difference between mature and old.

Your hairline looks like it's still thick so you probably wouldn't need grafts placed back among existing hair. In my opinion, thinking from a design standpoint, it looks like you'd benefit from lowering the hairline all the way across when filling in the temples. The temples really aren't very deeply recessed, so with anything more than a very minor touch-up I believe your hairline would look too straight considering it's relatively high position.

I do reckon that a guy of your age shouldn't be stressing out over such a minor amount of loss. You're much better off than most guys are before they start feeling the need to hide under hats.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Hi all!

Again thank you for all your replies and support. I have an appointmet booked at Farjo Medical Clinic on Thursday 21st April at 13:30 ao I will let you all know how it goes! I know my hair loss isnt that bad when compared to others but I believe it just doesn't suit me and I feel really self concious about it. I have a mate who is completely bald but due to the size and shape of his head it suits him fine! I have a narrow face with a big forehead so With my hair up I look like a mad professor! I could never go for the full on head shave as I think It would make me like ill! I have seen lots of other profiles on here with alot worse hair loss than me but due to their head shapes I think it suits them better than I look now with just a small ammount of hair loss. Anyways as I said I will keep you posted and thanks for sharing this journey with me it means alot! :)