2nd Thoughts .. New Member

A little over 4 months and it's looking great Vanman. Still have plenty of growth to come but that is a substantial difference before and after. You must be very happy. The hair color really helped even things out. Can't wait to see your future updates. Really happy for you.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Going really well mate, hopefully lots more hidden ones to come.

Just got a reply back from Dr. Pong after sending him the latest update photos, and he tells me I can expect consistent new growth and thickening for the next 4 - 6 months.

Looking better and better, I'm more then pleased. Just wish it wasn't "half" a head of hair still!! LOL Can't wait to have the second surgery, to get most of the rest of the bald pate covered.

vanman

vy nice growth...

i will be having my HT with Dr Pong in a few days time and looking forward to it although i am very much worried about the shockloss that follows.

I had none, but then I had very little left to lose on top! lol

Where will you be staying in Chiang Mai? Did you get a place closeby the clinic? Remember they offer the free morning shampoo and blow dry, given by the friendly nursing staff, something you do not really want to miss. There are a few places close by where you can have a short walk to the clinic.

Just a hint: if you have booked a place a bit further away, and have to take a tuk-tuk each morning, have them drop you off at the Lotus Pang Suan Kaew hotel, as all the tuk-tuk guys know where that is, and then its a short 5 minute walk from there, over a little path into the area where the clinic is located. The clinic is a bit tough for the tuk-tuk drivers to find, as its in section of little small side soi's.

Best of luck with the prodecure!! Dr. Pong is so friendly in person, even tho he seems a bit brusque via emails. I found that is because he is his own secretary, and answers all the emails personally, so tends to give very short, concise answers. In person he is a lot more personable, and will really set you at ease, as well as answering all your questions. The nursing staff are just the best I've ever encountered, with that typical Thai friendliness!

My taxi driver & I found the easiest way to remember which soi to go down was the one with the big round (yellow from memory) sign at the entrance to it off the main drag just near the hotel, you want the last or second last building on the right once you head down it.

Hi Vanman

I m in chiang mai now and staying at chiang mai lodge which is abt 10 mins walk to dr pong clinic. I just had my ht yesterday and the pain at my donor area yesterday night was just so bad that i can't do much stuff less posting on this forum.

I was charged 2300 grafts for 2650 grafts transplanted. I am still feeling the pain at my donor area now. On a side note, dr pong recently revise his charges which will take effect nxt year.

Conclusion, i will need to wait 1 yr before seeing my results. I guess the coming 6 mths i will be going thru some sort of "depression" worrying abt the results of my ht.

• 1 month later...

Looks great! It keeps getting better and better. You really got great yield and seems like all the grafts are growing well. You must be pleased. I think after you get the work done for the midscalp/crown region, you can forget about hairloss. What a transformation. You planned this out really well. Congrats.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone. Sorry for not posting something sooner, but here are some update photos from June 21 (10 months post-op). Changed hairstyle to a brushed back look, which I think shows off the new hairline really well, and also make the distinct line where the first transplant ended look not so abrupt. Of course, that will be remedied on December 3, when I will be back at Dr. Pong's clinic in Chiang Mai for the second surgery.

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1290.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

Looking great and very similar results to mine, I am about 3 weeks behind you and will possibly be getting my second transplant around the same time as you, I e-mailed Dr Pong a few weeks ago asking if I can get in around August but he suggested I wait until around December and do stretching exercises for a few months first. I'll see if I can get in a day or two either way from you and we can hopefully catch up and moan about not being able to have a drink or do any vigorous exercise.:(

I'm going to live in Thailand in about 6 weeks but in Krabi in the south so the lovely lady who I met on the transplant trip had better get her fingers muscled up ready for a bit of head massaging, I want to go in there with a head full of skin like one of those Chinese dogs so he can get a good harvest.;)

I realise not everyone has been so lucky, with nausea, swelling etc.

Is nausea common HT post op?

I've heard of itching, swelling, bruising, some pain, ect

but I've never heard anyone mention nausea before.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I've gotten very dizzy when in the hot sun since the opp (almost instantly) but not sure if it's related, lasted for about 4 months

Interesting Tiztom...especially that it lasted 4 months.

When I had my first transplant more than a decade ago I was driving home about 4 hours and suddenly got a terrible case of the hiccups. I had to pull over twice and do my little manuever I do to rid myself of hiccups when I rarely get hiccups. Later I read in a medical book about hair transplants that sometimes patients after a hair transplant get the hiccups for a day or two. There were theories as to why, but nothing 100% sure as to what caused this. Kind of weird.......do a Google search under "hair transplants hiccups" and you'll see more info.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

• 2 weeks later...
hello vanman,All the best with your planned HT with DR Pong,I have been very interested in this thread as i like many others i guess was planning on incorperating a FUE HT into a family holiday,While my procedure will be fue rather than a strip it will definately impact on our holiday.One of my major concerns is weather it will ruin the holiday for the wife and kids,Doe's your wife fully appreciate all the different scenarios that could happen post op and that she may well be left to her own devices if you don't feel up to doing anything?As we do not have much money at all i find it hard justifying the cost to myself never mind my family,All the best and have a nice day....

Have you chosen a doctor for the FUE?

• 11 months later...

Been a while since I have been on here. I guess now that my hair feels so natural, I don't think of myself really as "bald" or "folically challenged" anymore! LOL

Today I thought I should get on and give a quick update re: the second surgery. I had it back on December 3, 2012 with Dr. Pong in Chiang Mai again. My big surprise from this surgery was that he decided to cover the entire remaining area, tho at a much less density then the first surgery that dealt with the hairline.

At first I was a bit disappointed in the results, as it seemed so thin as to be hardly more then a wisp of covering. With about the same graft count of the first surgery, he covered about double the area. As it has grown in, however, and the hair has gotten longer, I've been much happier. It is not the density of the first surgery, but it does remove that shiny dome that I had before, and the hair can be blended into the hair from surgery #1.

Plus, Dr. Pong says I do have enough donor hair for a third surgery should I wish. He recommends waiting 2 years, to see how satisfied I am with the density by that time. Should I wish it a bit thicker, I can return to Chiang Mai and he can do a third procedure for those areas I feel could use some help.

In the attached photos, the first 2 are from 2 weeks post op, showing grafted hair before it all fell away and donor scar healing nicely. The 3rd photo is from 3 months post op, showing the new hair growing in. The final 3 photos are current, and show the scar healed completely and almost impossible to see, the hair coverage on the back of my head, which was totally bald before, and the face on look. Yes, I do feel that much more confident now.

12-18-2012-1.JPG.75a4defa2ba5090207f699afdf81cfc0.JPG

12-18-2012-6.JPG.8b8182270b10258d27c6384fde986a56.JPG

5b32d951cf055_March182013-5.JPG.a80116a7a36f0b10e762608d8df33638.JPG

5b32d952089e4_June102013-4.JPG.01e786e2da606f2344fa986eca69d456.JPG

5b32d9521e97e_June102013-7.jpg.eba6b98240a835eb7568156855ce5aa0.jpg

5b32d9522d5e4_June102013-8.jpg.9b5f903839fdbcd0cdc8a8a27cb2e0b4.jpg