Cover me boys, I'm going in!

Hal

Well, I can't put this off anymore. I leave tomorrow morning for Minneapolis and my procedure is Tuesday under the hands of Dr. Ron Shapiro.

This has been a long time coming.

I well remember being concerned about a slight receding hairline WAY back in 1986. I went to a clinic thinking about plugs (gasp!) to fill it in.

I remember the doc saying explaining the procedure, and him telling me about the forehead bandage after it was all done "You'll look like Gaddafi..." he said, laughing. Funny all those years ago and the guy is still around and still causing trouble.

Thank God I didn't have anything done. Not only did I lose the entire hairline, but if there were old fashioned plugs up there all by themselves? I shudder to think what I would have done and spent chasing my hairline with multiple procedures throughout the 90's...

I did leave with something interesting, though. It was a sort of a roll on bottle. They put crushed Minoxidyl tablets in a solution. You shook it up and then applied twice per day to your scalp. This was the forerunner of Rogain. $50 bucks for a small bottle.

In 1993 I really started losing a good amount of hair. A bald spot opened up on my crown. Again I considered having something done. Again I decided against it. Again Thank God.

Well, that was years ago. I have no hairline at all and a bald spot on the crown. I'm basically a Norwood 5A/borderline 6.

Everything has finally lined up-- the right stage of balding, the right age, the right Doctor, the right financial situation, the right expectations, the right time of life. As I said, it's time.

25 years and I leave tomorrow.

Hal

Edited by Hal

Good luck buddy. The Shapiro folks are extremely vigilant about who is/isn't a good candidate and about planning for the future on a patient by patient basis. So sounds like you're in good hands.

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

I have my surgery with Dr. Ron Shapiro scheduled in June.....I look forward to hearing how your surgery goes. I feel very comfortable with my choice and look forward to getting it done.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Thanks guys--

I am back in the hotel after an all day session at Shapiro Medical Group.

I don't want to sound like a commercial, but the experience was fantastic.

So many things that I was worried about turned out to be one big fat non issue.

The staff was great, pain was pretty much non existent except for a few pin pricks.

Dr. RON was and is everything that's been said about him-- a top flight surgeon and a caring, nice guy. He stayed with me and discussed results and other issues after every one had gone home-- and it was after 9:00 p.M.

You can't go any better.

I have a long way to go post op off course, but right now I am very confident my results will be in line with my expectations.

I will right up a more detailed report after I get home and have a chance to unwind.

Hal

Edited by Hal

Congrats Hal. You picked the best. Can't wait to see the pics!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hal,

I'm very happy to hear that everything went smoothly for you. Rarely does a day go by that I don't count my blessings that I couldn't afford hair transplant surgery in the early 90s. I can relate completely to your story.

I look forward to following your progress. Happy growing!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Post op so far has been going great-- no numbness, little pain, no feeling of scalp tightness.

Attached are some pre-op and post op images of the new hairline. I took the post op pictures today right after I got out of the shower so my hair is wet.

This is 3,800 grafts. Doc said I have average scalp laxity and average density in the donor.

Still a long way to go and many hurdles. I guess I'm in the "honeymoon phase". But I know the "ugly duckling" phase is out there, waiting! I'm going to be sorry once those hairs fall out and go in to a resting mode.

I received an e mail asking why I chose SMG:

I am simply ecstatic at how things have gone so far. Everyone at the Shapiro Medical Group was caring, considerate, helpful, and highly professional.

When I decided to have the surgery, there were only 4 surgeons on my list—in order they were: Ron Shapiro, H&W, and Paul Shapiro.

I chose Ron Shapiro because of his outstanding reputation and skill as a surgeon. This man literally has written the book on hair transplantation. He is in demand all over the world and frequently travels, teaching and lecturing on technique. He and his clinic have a worldwide reputation for excellence.

But beyond that the Doc is a genuinely caring man—he is considerate, patient, and only wants the best result possible for each of his patients. I truly believe that.

In short, I believe that Dr. Shapiro is the “gold standard” in hair transplantation. It’s like getting financial advice directly from Warren Buffet. Or having Bill Gates set up your PC. There are other skilled surgeons out there, but I don’t believe you can go any better.

As we all know, so many things can happen when having a transplant—once you’re cut, you’re cut. It’s impossible to eliminate all risk but you can minimize it. I wanted the best surgeon and the best clinic

I am currently composing a full write up and will post by the end of this coming weekend.

Thanks guys for all the support and good wishes-- its appreciated.

Hal

5b32cd0f9847a_pre-op1.jpg.a12a147a828f8164c0612763c8cdabee.jpg

5b32cd0fb4b23_pre-op2.jpg.f73c22c296a9a310a75c96f81a64adca.jpg

5b32cd0fc74d6_postop1.jpg.5e4ee2b15c090f89172c63f08dad3e03.jpg

5b32cd0fd5597_postop2.jpg.a943bc6b7bacd46dc271b6d478e8cd94.jpg

5b32cd0ff13d8_postop3.jpg.c0691ee0e9c22adb65205c1e1c279075.jpg

5b32cd100db87_postop4.jpg.fcf11faff148c95abbb154f66e636b7e.jpg

Edited by Hal

Very much in the same position as you Hal, looking forward to keeping up with your progress. Did they recommend future surgeries or meds, re: planning for the future?

My Hairloss Blog »

Very much in the same position as you Hal, looking forward to keeping up with your progress. Did they recommend future surgeries or meds, re: planning for the future?

Multiplier--

Doc said I had about 4,000 grafts left (supply) and that to fill in my crown would take about 1,500 or so. Right now I have grafts at the very top of my head and a little further down. My bald spot when its all said and done will be about the size of a baseball.

I will be able to "shingle" it over with some of the new hair. In fact I did that for years before I lost the very top that's now been restored.

I'll see how it goes once the donor scar heals and I see the grow in results before deciding on more procedures.

But to answer your question, no, there was no recommendation for other procedures. Basically, I asked what could be done down the line and the Doc took me through the options.The overall attitude was one step at time. See how things progress with this procedure.

As for meds, I'm against them. I'm not taking propecia and have no plans to start. I don't like the idea of playing with my body's chemistry.

I realize some people take the meds with great results and no sides. However, I think there are lots of people who have problems-- in a % far higher than the drug. manufac. currently says.

Anyway, in my case with my hair hair loss, its not worth the risk. It's not like a have a frontal core or crown that I'm trying to keep. I've already lost that! (although now I have it back :)

I explained this to the Doc and he said he understood my position and concerns over the drug. He also stated that he had seen some great results with it. There was no recommendation to start meds. He accepted my decision and that was basically it.

What are your plans Multiplier? I haven't yet searched back through your posts so I'm not sure where you're at.

Hal

Doc said I had about 4,000 grafts left (supply) and that to fill in my crown would take about 1,500 or so.

If you already had 3800 and have 4000 left, that sounds like above-average density, no?

But to answer your question, no, there was no recommendation for other procedures.

Reason I asked is because both phone consultations I've had with SMG, there was a heavy emphasis on planning for the future, etc, though if you get good coverage with this one, that's awesome.

I explained this to the Doc and he said he understood my position and concerns over the drug. ... He accepted my decision and that was basically it.

Interesting. In both consultations I had, they said they definitely recommended all patients use finasteride in order to keep their hair, post-surgery. Otherwise if any native hair falls out, you're left with sparse transplant hair. But I guess since you had little native hair left, it's not a problem?

What are your plans Multiplier?

Good question. I've consulted with what I think are the 3 best docs in the US. Trying to plan for a procedure for this summer or fall. The tough part for me is that I had about 800 grafts 10 years ago in the front, but my hairline has started to recede past it. So things are beginning to look funny and I've thinned out overall, despite meds. Kind of painted me into a tough corner, not to mention I haven't mentioned any of this to the wife yet :(

My main concerns are 1) taking off work and 2) how much donor hair I actually have an whether, if exhausted, it's enough to get me decent coverage.

My Hairloss Blog »

Hal,

So did you get absorbable sutures?

Smartguy,

Dr. Shapiro did a Trichophytic closure with sutures on me.

Here's the great part-- the Doc is in my neck of the woods next week (traveling from Minnesota) and he will remove the sutures himself locally.

Here's the specs from the surgery (I was off on the graft count I posted earlier):

Graft/Hair count breakdown: 3675 grafts/7294 hairs

1's - 872

2's - 2035

3's - 720

4's - 48

We were shooting for 4,000 but of course there are numerous factors that play in to this.

Hal

Good question. I've consulted with what I think are the 3 best docs in the US. Trying to plan for a procedure for this summer or fall. The tough part for me is that I had about 800 grafts 10 years ago in the front, but my hairline has started to recede past it. So things are beginning to look funny and I've thinned out overall, despite meds. Kind of painted me into a tough corner, not to mention I haven't mentioned any of this to the wife yet :(

My main concerns are 1) taking off work and 2) how much donor hair I actually have an whether, if exhausted, it's enough to get me decent coverage.

Multiplier,

I guess the first step is to actually be examined and determine the number of grafts available. Phone consults are great, but in your case it sounds like you're going to have to go in to get an accurate read on where you stand.

That said, it would seem to me that you should have enough donor left with only 800 previous grafts for another procedure.

The logistics of a hair transplant (recovery phase, time off work, etc.) can be a bear to deal with with. Everyone is different with different circumstances of course.

I work in an office but have arranged things so I can wear a hat for 6 to 8 weeks if need be. I also kept my hair on the high sides so I can go back to my normal hairstyle while the grafts grow in down the line. I was lucky that way with my balding pattern. At least that's the plan right now. We'll see how that goes down the line.

I haven't see any pictures besides the avatar, but it doesn't look bad to me-- do you use product? if so, what?

Hal

@Hal: I do use Toppik.

Here is a thread that will give you a better idea -

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/158939-how-many-grafts-sessions-me-pics-attached.html

My Hairloss Blog »

@Hal: I do use Toppik.

Here is a thread that will give you a better idea -

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/158939-how-many-grafts-sessions-me-pics-attached.html

Ok-- I see where you're at.

Just my opinion, but from what I see I would think a 3,000 graft procedure in the front through the central core should do you nicely.

I don't think you have any problem with donor supply for that amount.

You would have to shave down and because you appear to be a diffuse thinner, you might experience shock loss to existing hair up front.

My approach in your shoes would be that a 3,000+ procedure would stand on its on even if I lost everything else up front and through the core. I think you'd have to play it like rather than augmenting existing hair and hoping for the best.

That would seem to me the best way to use available grafts and try to cover my bets as best I could (against future loss).

But this is me shooting from the hip--of course you'll have to evaluated by the doc of your choice and come up with a plan of attack if you decide to go ahead with the HT. You'll have to get evaluated, research your options, and then make the call.

The other thing I would say is make sure you choose wisely in your surgeon. You want this done right the first time and make the best use of available grafts.

I've tried all sorts of cover products through the years but like Pro-Thik best. It makes a hell of a mess though with the residue/spray getting all over everything. But there are ways around that as I've learned.:)

Hal

I am glad your experience has been so positive. It makes me feel even better about my decision to have my surgery with Dr. Shapiro in June.

It has been positive so far, Orlhair. Still a long way to go to final results but so far things have smooth and pain free. We'll have to see how things shape up a month or so down the road and beyond (shock loss, scar healing, etc.) But I'm hopeful.

You hear a lot about the dreaded first week after surgery, but its all been one big non issue for me. I credit a lot of that to my surgeon and his staff.

Really, you're in the best of hands.

I'm still working on a detailed write up and will post when I get it done.

I guess I'm the typical "recent transplant" guy-- haunting these boards with my experience. But that's to be expected. Par for the course I guess. :)

Hal

Hal,

Great to hear that your first week is going fine. I am into my 3rd week and things are positive till now. Still some discomfort in the donor area and slight pain. Scabs are almost gone. Few transplanted hairs fell off. But most of them are still there.

Did your doc ask you to apply rogaine during the first month? Keep us posted about your development.

Hal,

Great to hear that your first week is going fine. I am into my 3rd week and things are positive till now. Still some discomfort in the donor area and slight pain. Scabs are almost gone. Few transplanted hairs fell off. But most of them are still there.

Did your doc ask you to apply rogaine during the first month? Keep us posted about your development.

Smartguy,

Dr. Shapiro did not ask me to apply Rogaine-- following post op instructions was stressed with the graftcyte, etc.-- but no meds.

I decided not to do meds-- and with my level of hair loss meds, etc. could do very little. Everyone accepted that point of view.

I'm now almost to day 6 but I haven't seen any scabs. I've been using baby shampoo and the "pat down" method as explained in the post op instructions.

No grafts have popped out or anything and I've washed the hair everyday gently rising with a cup of cool water.

My donor is a little sore of course. But swelling has been minimal and there has not been any real pain. I've haven't taken any of the pain pills that were given me.

I've been sleeping *slightly elevated*-- meaning a doubled pillow and a neck pillow flat on my back. It keeps the pressure off the donor and the grafts untouched. Sleeping with no issues.

Having no hairline for almost 20 years, its still a shock to see the reconstructed hairline in the mirror. I am going to be sorry to see it go in to a resting phase.

It's been mentioned before, but psychologically, it rocks. For the first time in decades I can look forward to hair growing IN, coming back, instead of leaving forever. How's that for turning the tables? It's like "up yours, DHT... you've had your turn..."

When did your scabs start to form?

Hal

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Hal,

Just wanted to check how you are feeling now as you may be into the 3rd week after HT. I was 1 week ahead of you for the HT. MY scabs are gone and now my waiting period starts!

Hey Smartguy,

I know how you feel about the long wait. I guess I'm luckier than most as I can still create my pre-op hairstyle-- this covers the grafts so I basically look like I've had nothing done.

My donor is healing up nicely and the soreness has mostly gone away. I just had my first post op haircut this past weekend. The back was cut pretty short but you really can't tell.

All in all, it been very little pain, very little stress.

It will be three weeks tomorrow and my grafts are still hanging in there. Scabs are gone. I expect the hair in the grafts to start shedding anytime now. No sign of shock loss in the donor area or anywhere else but that's still a possibility for another few weeks I guess.

I'm still very glad I had it done. Dr. Shapiro did an excellent job and I feel that I've done all I can to maximize a great result.

As Tom Petty might say "The Wayyyyyyaaayyyting is the hardest part...".

I still can't get over looking in the mirror and seeing the new hairline and frontal core. After 20 years or not having it, it's great to see it back.

I guess these things are relative. I may be a Norwood III or so when this grows in. To some, that's not a great victory. To me it is.

I will post pictures when I reach the one month point. I was going to do a big write up of the entire experience but It's all been done and said before.

Glad to hear that you're doing ok yourself. By the end of the summer you should be seeing some great results. And come next Christmas? Well, you won't mind so much stepping up and posing for the camera for the family pictures, right? :)

Hal

• 2 months later...

Hal, Just had my surgery with Dr. Ron on Tues. Had the same great experience you did. Day 4 and healing nicely and feeling great about having it done. Hope you are doing well.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1