Long-term transplant results

One of the complicating factors in hair transplantation is that hair loss is progressive, and thus HTs should be undertaken with long-range plans (something akin to worst-case scenarios) in place to plan for future hair loss.

I think this is one of the more difficult aspects for potential HT patients to be aware of and consider, because most of the pictures we see of HT patients are taken within a year or two of their surgeries. Yes, the pictures look good because they addressed the extant hair loss at the time of the surgery, but what happened down the line? I think it would be helpful if we could get some veterans who are several years out from their transplants to post some recent pictures to provide an idea of how well (or perhaps not) HTs can hold up over time.

Gmonasco,

You bring up a very valid point, especially in relation to younge patients due for additional loss post op.

Most physicians will obviously prepare for this and attempt to speculate the patients pattern, however mother nature is HIGHLY unpredictable as we are all aware.

I too would like to see a few vets chime in on this if possible.

I must say as an avid user of the search function I have located a fair few post op cases 2-3 years on displaying some very nice withstanding results.

I honestly believe viewing previous patients amongst a younger age bracket whom only had minimal work done would be a good indicator of what happened down the line.

Cheers,

PS: I just realized I am yet to respond to our air powered vehicle debate ;-)

I do apologise mate.

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

I think the hairs don't shed unless they were not from the safe zone.

I've seen some users that had transplants years ago and they still have the hairs. But this is a very good topic. Just how many people have had their results be as good as they were within 2-3 years of their surgeries?

Hey Sean,

I think the post is referring to the fact of younger patients undergoing HT surgery and experiencing future hair loss post surgery. It is not uncommon for this to occur, chasing your hair is the gamble you make once taking the plunge.

The "safe zone" is never a definite fall back in my opinion, follicles within your donor area have the ability to miniaturize also thus sabotaging previous HT work in the future.

This clearly is not always the case, however it may come to pass for some.

Cheers,

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

I'm at 5 years post-op right now. I haven't noticed any changes or hairloss. But my hairloss was fairly established as I was 45+ when I had my HT.

Pics in my blog link.

Young guys with aggressive early hairloss should consider where they may end up... NW6 or NW7 is a possibility. That's the risk of getting a HT too early. You may end up with a very small safe zone which would mean a lot of the transplanted hairs might not be there forever.

Example: What we he look like now if he had a HT at 23 years old?

attachment.php?attachmentid=13885&stc=1&d=1298707790

CIMG9313s.jpg.75367d4368ae50a4d9f0fc8f8ac04417.jpg

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My HT Blog