Hi,

After an online assessment administered through 20 photos by a Thai doctor (Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong), its estaimted i need roughly 3000 graphs to thicken the hair from my hairline to my crown. In reality, i might only have half that as money is an issue for me right now and i may just address my hairline. My budget is 6000 usd. Consequently, im thinking of getting my work done in thailand.

Can members offer me any suggestions:

Who they recommend; who they dont; to get more or less done etc.

Basically any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance

Dr. Pathomvamich in Thailand is a good option, his work looks good. The price may be high for this procedure but remember this is permanent and a lifelong investment. I'm not sure what they charge in the practice but I would suspect it's somewhere in the usual range of $3.5-$5 per graft. See if they offer payment plans.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dr. Laorwong may or may not do OK work, but Dr. Pathomvanich is the only surgeon in Thailand who has been screened by the HTN. $6000 will just about get you 2500 or so grafts with him. Go to Untitled Document and send him your photos.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I had surgery with Dr. Pong is Chiang Mai. It was a great experience, no complaints. It was only two weeks ago so I can't speak for results. His website show prices and over 150 before and after pictures of results. I got 1964 grafts, came out to $3350.

I do agree with Jimmybald.. Although I know that Dr Path is recomended in the forum and that he has many contributions in the industry and won the 2010 golden follicle award. But Dr Pong is also great. I was planning to do my HT in Bangkok to save more Dollars before I decided to do with Dr Rahal because im a repair patient and want something guaranteed. I asked many patients who came back from Thailand to Middle East of whom they chosed, believe it or not. almost 75% of them said Dr Pong, somehow is very very popular. So i would advice you the following.

1) Dr Path www.dhtclinic.com

2) Dr Pong

When it comes to money, the 2nd is much cheaper. If you want quality then go for the first. But both of them has good results.

Other that these two, dont go. Thats my advice.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc
outside link removed

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Great, thanks. Ive contacted quite a few doctors and have made a short list of recommended, reputable and cost effective ones. Ill continue my thorough research before making a decision.

Another VERY important question though: should i go for FUT or FUE.

I like to wear my hair short, even shaven, so im guessing FUE. The problem is its so much more expensive! Will doctors of the calibre of Dr path and Dr pong alow me to wear my hair so short without displaying a prominent scar?

You need to decide what is more important to you. If you have the FUT procedure you will have a scar that will be noticeable if you keep your head shaved short. FUE is more expensive and less efficient as the survival rate is lower than FUT, as well as also limiting the total amount of grafts you will be able to get, so it depends on the extent of your hair loss. You could have the FUT and keep your hair relatively short, shaved to a #3 or #4 on a razor setting and it not being noticeable (after at least 6 months of healing). So think about your long term goals and decide with the doctor on what path is the best for you.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Buddy, if you want FUE dont go Thailand, thery are not good at it. Even DHT clinic under Dr Path trying to avoid it by trying to convince you doing FUT cause its easier and yields better. With FUE, you have to increase your budget, $6000 is a joke.

Try Dr Keser in Turkey, he has great Rate of 3.5 Euro per graft. plus the life in Ankara capital isnt that expensive.

Please revise your budget if you want FUE.. And by the way, Dr Path does FUT but leaves a very minimal scar, that even one member by the name of TomA told me that Dr Madhu had a hard time to detect the scar which means he did a superb scar closure.

My Hair Treatments:

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Great. Ill have to decide whats best.

One more question: is the price negotiable? Is it disrespectful to ask for a 10-15% discount off thai doctors?

The reason i ask is that i wouldn't normally buy anything over $1000 without negotiating, and this is about 5000-6000.

9000, Hariri is right. Dr Pat no longer practises FUE and only performs FUT exclusively. However, that being said, for myself, the scar is v undetectable, hence i do not see any issue with it. Moreover, 6k will not get u enough grafts for a FUE surgery.

Lastly, i did not try but i think i am pretty sure Dr Pat does not give discount. It would be inappropriate for other patients and just fyi, when i booked him that time, there is a 3 month wait. Hence i just do not find any reason for him to cut u a discount which will be unfair to all others

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Hi,

After an online assessment administered through 20 photos by a Thai doctor (Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong), its estaimted i need roughly 3000 graphs to thicken the hair from my hairline to my crown. In reality, i might only have half that as money is an issue for me right now and i may just address my hairline. My budget is 6000 usd. Consequently, im thinking of getting my work done in thailand.

Can members offer me any suggestions:

Here's my suggestion: have your head examined.

You are buying SURGERY, not a car or a lamp or a pair of shoes.

You DO NOT want a "good deal" when it comes to medical services. You want the best people you can get.

Going to a third-world country to have any medical procedure is idiotic. First, you have no idea what their licensure and oversight standards are. Second, if anything goes wrong, you will have almost no recourse.

Shadow, u made some good points but i goto respectfully disagree on going third world countries. I think its unfair to make that statement. It does not mean that docs from such places or countries are not as good as those from Europe or States. In fact, Dr Pat has been awarded the golden follicle award this year. There are so many patients who have got their hair successfully restored by him and i reckon thats not idiotic.

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Here's my suggestion: have your head examined.

You are buying SURGERY, not a car or a lamp or a pair of shoes.

You DO NOT want a "good deal" when it comes to medical services. You want the best people you can get.

Going to a third-world country to have any medical procedure is idiotic. First, you have no idea what their licensure and oversight standards are. Second, if anything goes wrong, you will have almost no recourse.

That was really unhelpful shadow - "have my have examined" - why?

Im not after a good deal, im after value for money - i.e. the best doctor, at the best price. That's why im investigating options in Thailand. I will not comprise on quality you can be assured, just quantity if i cannot afford it. Im very thorough and i guarantee i wont make a mistake.

Secondly, i AM aware of the standards in a "third world country". I will not chose a doctor that isnt abhrs or ishrs registered. Do some research.

Finally, if you cant see the benefit of having a holiday in a beautiful location, getting surgery as good or better than a doctor in your homeland can do, all at a significant discount from what you'd pay at home, then you need your head examined.

Hairhair,

I have to concur with several other members that selecting a hair transplant surgeon based on price is normally not an effective method. It's far more economical, in the long term, to undergo a quality procedure with a solid surgeon than price shop and pay more down the road for potential touch-up procedures.

Having said that, I definitely recommend consulting/contacting Dr. Path. He's a fantastic surgeon and his follicular unit transplantation cases are top notch. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

If you guys are wondering why Dr Path rates are cheap, well they are cheap for you being from the west. But to Thai people, its much of a money. When a doctor charges, he charges an amount where people from his country can afford and not to accept foreigners from first world countries only.

Try to ask a Thai citizen how much 85 Bhat worth for him, its almost $3 for an american. Its just us as foreigners take the advantage and get it low price based in our currency exchange. Being more expensive is not the case, its the case if in the same country like US or Canada or Europe but not in far east asia or south asia. Soon everyone will go to singapore to get Histogen treatment, so we should not underestimate third world countries, atleast they dont sue you if you complain online about them.

My Hair Treatments:

Ok, so ive come up with a shortlist of doctors and i intend on going overseas to Thailand to get it done. Can i get some recommendations regarding my travel plans and my recovery post op.

After arriving and relaxing for a day (day 1), i was going to get the FUT 2500 graphs (which i assume can all be done in a day) on day 2. I assume day 3-4 the scabs (and strip) will be quite obvious and i should just relax for a those days - avoiding excessive sun, drinking etc. Perhaps i have a follow up session on these days? What about after that? Day 5 onwards? Is drinking/partying allowed? Can i go to the beach and expose it to sun? How long will i look scabby and shaven for post op - 2 weeks? 4 weeks?

Thanks

You should not expose your grafts to the sun directly after the procedure. In fact you do not want to expose it to the sun for about 4 weeks. I'm not saying you can't walk around during the day without a hat for one month, but you need to be careful about getting burned on top of your head as that could damage your grafts. So do not expose yourself to the sun for too long. The scabs will be noticeable until day 8 when they will start falling off in the shower. For that first week you want to take it easy, nothing too strenous. You can walk around and enjoy the sites, but try not to sweat profucely in the first few days and I know in Thailand that could be a bit of an issue to avoid. Also you shouldn't drink for that time as you will be taking medication such as antibiotics and pain killers which should not mix with alcohol. You will look pretty much back to normal on top of your head about 8-10 days you will still have some pinkness that could last a few more weeks. If you hair is shaved the scar and stitches will be noticeable until your hair grows long enough to cover it. The scar will not heal completely until 6-7 months at the earliest. So I would suggest keeping your hair a little bit longer for the treatment that way you can hide it easier, but that's your choice.

Hi,

I had a HT in Thailand last year and to be honest once I had undergone the surgery I really just wanted to go home. After about 4 days things did settle down somewhat but I was glad that I was home.

Not sure if I would have wanted to party after a HT. Why don't you enjoy your holiday first and towards the end of it undergo the surgery and a few days later go home?

Btw it took about 3 - 4 weeks before I had lost all my scabs.

Regards

Rod

Hi RodG,

Thanks for the advice. I think thats a good idea. May i also ask which doctor you used and your satisfaction with the results?

I think i might see a bit of the area - cambodia, thialand, vietnam, and then return for my ht in the last 4 days of my trip. I like the look of dr pong but he isnt in bangkok - where id probably want to be while recovering.

Can i also ask if anyone has heard of Dr. Sompob Sansiri and his sp clinic http://www.sp-cosmeticsurgery.com He is a certified cosmetic surgeon and a member of AACS (American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery). and also a member of ASHRS (American Society of Hair Restoration Surgery)

What's the difference?

Well, since we're getting pedantic, i agree, perhaps i should have said im not after a good price, or not soley after a good price. However, if a saleman told me a product was a good deal or "a good deal!" as opposed to value for money, in my dialect, perhaps id consider the later more appealing, and the former the quintessential, cheap, sales pitch. Regardless, thats not why you're posting here - to discuss dialectal subtleties or the literacy calibre of late night forum posts- you're here to provide constructive helpful information to help us make better decisions. So you say surgery in a third world country is bad idea? Happy to hear the logic behind your contention- honestly, i really am- but despite my initial, 'emotional' reaction being skeptical (to surgery in "the third world"), after my comprehensive and unfinished research, its appearing to be more, and more appealing. So perhaps your next reply can constructively persude me back to my original, uneducated view.