Future Technologies Hold Promise for Hair Restoration

gmonasco

• 2 weeks later...

German power. :cool:

Across many tissues and organs, the ability to create an organoid, the smallest functional unit of an organ, in vitro is the key both to tissue engineering and preclinical testing regimes. The hair follicle is an organoid that has been much studied based on its ability to grow quickly and to regenerate after trauma. But hair follicle formation in vitro has been elusive. Replacing hair lost due to pattern baldness or more severe alopecia, including that induced by chemotherapy, remains a significant unmet medical need.

By carefully analyzing and recapitulating the growth conditions of hair follicle formation, we recreated human hair follicles in tissue culture that were capable of producing hair. Our microfollicles contained all relevant cell types and their structure and orientation resembled in some ways excised hair follicle specimens from human skin. This finding offers a new window onto hair follicle development. Having a robust culture system for hair follicles is an important step towards improved hair regeneration as well as to an understanding of how marketed drugs or drug candidates, including cancer chemotherapy, will affect this important organ.

ScienceDirect - Journal of Biotechnology : De novo formation and ultra-structural characterization of a fiber-producing human hair follicle equivalent in vitro

Looks like our kids are gonna be the lucky ones.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Haha, 5-10 years. Don't get your hopes up, kids. I started coming here five years ago, and they were saying the same thing. People said they were saying that because it's relatively soon, but far enough that you don't have to have any kind of evidence to back it up. I think those people were right. Just wait, one day somebody who reads this post will log on in 2016 and see a nice fresh link to an article that reads about how the answer to all your hairloss problems is just 5-10 years away.

ha, the industry has obviously evolved and there are way more people actually experimenting than there were 5-10 years ago...... and your pretty much saying, as scientists solve problems left and right, that they will never solve baldness....

how many things were in phase 2 etc. testing 10 years ago? or was it all hypothetical? and now its not....and soon it'll be solved

Edited by FinHairLoss

Histogen is suppose to be released in Asia round 2013 and 2014 or 2015 in North America. It might not be a "cure", but it would definitely be better than any treatment we have out today. The company has already provided data that it does grow hair, but I'm not sure if the new hair will be dht resistant.