Width and length of a donor strip?

Montrose02,

The following information was taken from the homepage of Dr. Bernstein:

The average donor strip is 1cm wide, although this will vary depending on the patient’s scalp laxity, density, and the number of grafts desired for the hair restoration.

The length also depends on the number of grafts needed. We average 90-100 follicular unit grafts per cm2 of donor tissue (that is the density of follicular units in an average person).

A 2,000 graft procedure, for example, would require a donor strip 22 cm long and 1cm wide. A 2,500 graft session would be 1.2 cm wide and 23 cm long.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Also, they usually try to overshoot in case a couple grafts get damaged during cutting. They would rather give you 200 grafts than refund the money for 200 grafts ;)

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Our strips are almost always 1.6-1.7cm wide, about the width of a stick of gum. The length varies with density and grafts needed. This has let us get up to 3900 grafts. When folks speak of 5000 graft cases, frankly I have the man/woman power to do these, but rather I am limited by strip width. And scalp laxity is like a box of chocolates....you just don't know until you excise the strip how loose a scalp will be. As closure tension has a direct relationship with scarring, I frankly am concerned about getting the scalp closed well more than getting that extra 1000 grafts.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

That could be from a variety of factors. First, if you got anywhere near that amount, I suspect your have great donor density. Second, perhaps you have a big head....now I'm not giving you a hard time, but people with bigger heads have more strip length when measured "ear to ear" than people with little heads. That would translate into more grafts per strip too. Finally, the breakdown of singles doubles and triples factors in. For example, lets imagine that if we did all singles, we would certainly be breaking follicular units into single hair grafts but perhaps we could get say 4000 out of a particular strip. Now if the cutters were told to cut them as they saw the units themselves under the scope, you may get 1000 singles, and 1000 doubles and a few hundred triples... so their your graft count from that strip goes down from 4k to 2400.... and finally lets imagine that that strip has very fine hairs and your trying to cover the crown, and maybe you want bulkier grafts of 3s which might even have a resting follicle in there too. Well then you may get 1200 3's...which would not be really follicular units, but maybe mini-minigrafts....

Different docs have different thoughts on this, but you can see that there may be more than one way to get different graft amounts from the same strip depending on hair quality, need, and doctor/patient goals.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

In this day and age we almost never do less than 500 grafts by strip. But we did have the occasion last year in someone who wanted a couple of hundred and didn't want a large area shaved for FUE, even though I thought the hair above the FUE donor site would cover it. In that case I think we did a strip about the dimension of your little finger, centered in the middle of the traditional donor area. Essentially by the time the patient was sutured up, and numbed up in the recipient area, all the grafts were cut and placement took an hour. Certainly quicker than a comparable sized FUE at our place.

I hope that addresses your question.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

McLean, VA

That could be from a variety of factors. First, if you got anywhere near that amount, I suspect your have great donor density. Second, perhaps you have a big head....now I'm not giving you a hard time, but people with bigger heads have more strip length when measured "ear to ear" than people with little heads. That would translate into more grafts per strip too. Finally, the breakdown of singles doubles and triples factors in. For example, lets imagine that if we did all singles, we would certainly be breaking follicular units into single hair grafts but perhaps we could get say 4000 out of a particular strip. Now if the cutters were told to cut them as they saw the units themselves under the scope, you may get 1000 singles, and 1000 doubles and a few hundred triples... so their your graft count from that strip goes down from 4k to 2400.... and finally lets imagine that that strip has very fine hairs and your trying to cover the crown, and maybe you want bulkier grafts of 3s which might even have a resting follicle in there too. Well then you may get 1200 3's...which would not be really follicular units, but maybe mini-minigrafts....

Different docs have different thoughts on this, but you can see that there may be more than one way to get different graft amounts from the same strip depending on hair quality, need, and doctor/patient goals.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

This is very interesting, I didn't know there were so many variables involving doubles and triples, tho it makes obvious sense.

(And yes, I do have a big head.)