Travel after hair transplantation surgery

Hi

I live in northern California and I am considering traveling to a good doctor within USA for HT. How safe is it to travel by flight the next day after the HT to come back home. A local doctor that I had consultation with said that first 3 days of postop are very important. He told me one should take proper rest and especially be in a recliner or on a bed with chin upright position to avoid swelling. I guess a lot of people in this forum travelled to have their HT. Please let me know your expeirence and give me some postop tips for a successful HT.

It is ok to travel the next day after a HT but it would be recommended to stay close to your surgeon for about a week just in case there is an issue. If you do choose to go home the next day, be in contact with your surgeon with any issues and be sure to follow their instructions on cleaning the area well, and if you choose the FUT than you will need to find a local clinic or doctor to remove your stitches. So basically it's ok to travel the next day but you would have to take extra care yourself as many people go back the next day to have a cleaning done on their grafts, followed by taking it easy for the first few days, no exercise for 10 days to 2 weeks where you can return to your normal activities. Also sleep upright at about a 30 degree angle for 3 nights and do not sleep on your grafts for the first week. Overall this would not be much trouble to travel and have this procedure done, but you just have to take extra care by yourself as opposed to your surgeon in the after care.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I have many patients who come in for the surgery from out of town and travel home the next day without any problems. As long as you are in contact with your physician and have very clear post operative instructions everything should be fine.