Leave for Ottawa, for my second hair transplant, tomorrow - with Dr Rahal

Ozguy

Tomorrow I fly from Melbourne to Ottawa for my second hair transplant. I found this site and forum as I was recovering from first hair transplant which I had in Melbourne, Australia. I wish I had found it before I booked my HT as I probably would have done things differently. While my first HT was somewhat successful it was not nearly as impressive as most of the HTs found on this site.

Earlier in the year I decided I needed another one and this time I wanted to go with a surgeon recommended on this site. I contacted many, if not most, of clinics on this site to compare their recommendations. Without going in to too much detail I was most impressed with three of the surgeons in Canada. It was hard narrowing it down to one, but I kept seeing cases presented on this site from Rahal's clinic that were very similar to me with around the same amount of grafts recommended. And the results were uniformly impressive. So I booked in for December 15th with estimate of around 3500 grafts.

I decided not to let travel put me off too much despite the fact that Thailand and even most of the US are much closer than Canada - and then to top it off I decide to go to the East of Canada. So after booking and paying for a plane ticket at Christmas rates (nearly double normal rates!) I have a leisurely 26 hour flight ahead of me tomorrow. I also transit the US so I have to go through US immigration as well as Canadian. The things we do once we get our heart set on a surgeon!!!

I will be staying at the Foxbar guesthouse which seems nice and homey. I imagine I won't want to get out and about too much for the first couple of days after surgery, but I am looking forward to experiencing Winter in Ottawa. Being Australian the only snow I've ever seen has been up the mountains. The coldest it gets here is about 10 degrees Fahrenheit , so the negative temperatures will be a new experience for me. All up I'll be in Ottawa for a week and home just in time for Christmas. I've bought several hats in readiness for the next few weeks. I return to work on Jan 4th. Just a day under three weeks after the surgery - hopefully I can get a decent-ish haircut just before I go back as I can't really wear hats in the office. I am also a Toppik user so hopefully i can make myself look reasonably respectable.

Despite having been through the process once before I am quite nervous, it's such a long way to go I'd be disappointed if all didn't go to plan. Even the travel makes me nervous as there seems to be such a furor happening in the US re: the nude scanners and pat downs. I am not sure what to do there, I've heard the scanners emit quite a lot of radiation and I don't think I want a dose of that either before or after surgery! I am also wondering what security do if you're wearing a hat? I am very well traveled, and have been to both the US and Canada before, but traveling for surgery will be a new experience for me.

Thanks for listening!

Good luck to you!!!

When I see people that put so much at stake to throw out extra wishes.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

juz,

Best of luck on your upcoming procedure with Coalition member DR. Rahal! I hope you will continue to update us on your progress and share your pre and post-op photos.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Hi Juz,

I traveled from the US to Europe for my ht. Apparently the scanners had just come into use and I didnt hear about the big debate in the US until I got back. So, I just thought I was going through the standard metal detector. If you're concerned, however, you can still opt for a patdown. I have read posts on here from people traveling who said they were not required to take their hat off. Also, my clinic gave me a letter explaining that I had an op and needed to wear a hat. I was able to preboard with that letter wich was also helpful.

Good luck with the trip and the HT!

Levrais

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Thanks for all the well wishes guys - I've had the surgery and all went very well. I've created a blog entry about the process @ Hair Restoration Social Network - Hair Loss Patient Blogs thus far.

Pictures to come as soon as organise how to download them onto my computer (i forgot to bring the cable for the camera and laptop). I'll ask at Dr Rahal's clinic if they're OK to pass some of their pics on to me for posting up here.

Thanks for sharing the info Levrais - no-one at security pulled me aside to put me through the scanners or give me a pat down. I did have an issue at immigration at LAX due to the airline not giving immigration the correct info about me, they were very nice about it though. There goes TSA's current rep for being evil!

The actual travel took about 36 hours, so it was quite long and arduous, lots of delays and rerouting - but well worth it. I always had a strong instinct about this particular clinic being right for me.

Edited by juz

It's been a week since I arrived in Ottawa and six days since the procedure. Time flies! I am feeling quite well and looking forward to going home.

I have updated my blog with the final hair counts (still can't believe that he got 4,400 grafts out of me).

Any advice on how to deal with Canadian and US customs? I am wearing a fedora and hope not to have to talk it off too often. I'll also take some of the medical caps provided by Dr. Rahal's office which might be more comfortable to wear on the long haul flight. Unfortunately the fedora won't be comfortable to actually wear on the plane. I did bring a cap, but Mike at Dr. Rahal's clinic said it wasn't deep enough to wear. I might try and get another at the airport.

A letter from the doctor might work at the security checks. I think its hit or miss as to whether they will have you take the hat off. Good luck and try to get a window seat so people dont walk by and bump into you.

Levrais

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

• 3 weeks later...

I've created a new blog to update on the status of my hair transplant. This blog covers from leaving Ottawa, to come back home, at day six and up until day 20.

Hair Restoration Social Network - Hair Loss Patient Blogs

I've also created a new album with pics from day 20. I am at about day 26 now. I will do another update at the one month mark.

Ozguy,

Congratulations again! I just viewed your post-op photos and things are looking good so far.

Please continue to update us. I'm looking forward to watching that new hairline sprout!

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I read your story and saw the photos. You seemed like a very calm person and your trip inspired me. It's very nice to see another new Dr. Rahals patient, his makes me feel much better about my trip to see Dr. Rahal next week. Although its only seven hours drive for me. It's gonna be my first HT with Dr. Rahal. Thank you for sharing your story.

All the best with your new hair Ozguy ;)

All what i can say, that you are in a safe hand. Dr.Rahal is one of the few surgeons in this industry who is not only damn good but also down to earth that he would personally speak to his patients on the phone and answers all their questions even they were long. unlike others who just assign representors.

After reading a lot of articles, remember that you have a good decision cause the successful HT based in many factors:-

1) Lateral slit techinique, thats the secret why H&W and Rahal have great results and fullness feeling.

2) Good dense packing 50 fu/cm2 and above.

3) A very thin scar almost invisible Tri-closure technique.

4) The price, other clinics who perform these techniques above all, would be definitely more expensive. So the price you got is the best so far.

Im going to have my HT with Dr. Rahal soon proudly. All the best bro and wishes for your results to come.

Edited by HARIRI

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

@ David - thanks for the feedback, good to know everything is normal. This is my second HT (first with a local doctor), this time everything seems to be going much more normally. I'll definitely keep updating my blog and this thread on the forum.

@ Hairlicious - I understand you're nervous, I was too! But once I got in there and met everyone I felt much better. The whole Rahal team are so calm and professional you feel reassured. Are you staying at Foxbar Guesthouse? What size procedure are you booked in for?

@ Hairiri - thanks for the feedback. I did my research and Dr. Rahal really appeared to be right doctor for me. I narrowed it down to about four, but in the end I just keep seeing great results from Dr. Rahal's clinics of patients that had a similar norwood pattern to me. When is your procedure? I am sure it'll go well :)

Great to see all the Rahal patients on here that have had, or having their procedure, so close to mine. Be great to germinate our budding hairlines together!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture from the 15th of Jan - at the one month mark. It's now exactly six weeks since the HT. I haven't got any current pics, I'll update at the two month mark. However, I have already been starting to get pimples on the scalp and quite a few hairs seem to be sprouting through. This started at around the five week mark. Last time it took about three months to see any growth. I was actually wondering if five weeks is a bit too early to see growth? Not that i am complaining...

IMG_0778.jpg.bf99ff97c78c467edabb8024618495ea.jpg

G’Day Ozguy!

It is rather comforting to see a fellow Aussie crossing the great seas in search of the best physician for his HT. I too am strongly considering Dr Rahal, your write up truly inspires my final decision.

If possible it would be great to chat about your experience at some stage.

All the best mate, the work does look quite exquisite!

Grow well,

Cheers,

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Hi there MusoInOz,

Thanks for your positive feedback :). It's still early days but I am happy with the way things are going.

And yes, I crossed half the world for the procedure because I really wanted to go to Dr Rahal, and to be honest if I hadn't gone to Dr Rahal I still would have gone to Canada for the procedure. My second and third choices for the procedure were also Canadian doctors. It is a long way to go, I think it was about 36 hours from door to door, but I am used to traveling. My only recommendation is to get the Air Canada flight from Sydney to Vancouver and avoid going through the US. Going through security and immigration in the US just adds an extra layer of complexity you really don't need, particularly on the way back.

I'd be more than happy to have a chat with you about the experience.

Cheers

I've had two procedures with Dr. Rahal. 1.) he's in the top five surgeons in the world; 2.) he doesn't gouge people. In other words, he believes that the middle classes should also have access to this life-altering procedure.

What more can a patient want?

Edited by Michael5577

Just wanted to drop a line regarding Dr. Rahal. I was in with another hair transplant surgeon for a repair of a scar from previous hair transplant. Dr. Rahal was there that same to visit this surgeon and came in on my procedure. He stated that he goes to visit many HT surgeons just to get ideas of what they do differently. He was doing this on his time off.

I had not heard of Dr. Rahal before, but having met him I must say I was impressed with his demeanor, knowledge, and the desire to continually learn. He told me he does all of the extractions himself for FUE. He went int to the details of the benefits of strip vs FUE. He also discussed the issue of BHT. He told me that at this time he was not interested in BHT. Mainly due to the lower success rate, the time and dedication involved, and the issues of treating repair patients vs virgin scalps. We had a lengthy conversation during my procedure. I looked him up after my procedure, and was impressed by his website and the reviews from prior patients on this and other forums.

Had I known about this guy before for my first hair transplant, he would be on the top of my list. We expect knowledge in our physicians. We expect technical expertise. But, you don't always have a guy that is humble and wants to continue to learn and improve, has technical expertise, and is personable. For those considering him - he really does seem like a good guy.

I am short on donor scalp supply and need help with a BHT doc and unfortunately, he does not take part in this.

You certainly won't get any argument from me. Dr. Rahal came to every post operative check up I had (I think I had five) and made time to answer questions personally. He dropped me back at my accommodation the night of the surgery, despite it being a five minute walk away. He wrote out the graft number breakdown personally. Nothing seemed too much bother for him. He certainly has a great "bedside" manner. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Dr Rahal for any future procedures!

• 1 month later...

Just a quick picture of my HT at three months. Things are definitely starting to happen, but as you can see very much at the early stages.

Judging by others photos this is the month when things begin to happen, so I hope the month four pics shoe significant growth.

attachment.php?attachmentid=14619&stc=1&d=1301140989

5b32cd116f67f_topmonththree.jpg.73f30c7b8e30675911f5ab8395c33212.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Ozguy

I'm in Sydney and recently had a consultation with Dr Russell Knudsen. I was impressed with him and met with one of his patients (good results).

After reading your posts I'm definitely thinking for going to Dr Rahal.

How long do you think I'll need off work?

thanks

Hi DRoyal,

Glad you're thinking of Dr. Rahal - I am so pleased with the results, I can't recommend him enough. I am just about to hit five-month mark and am extremely pleased with the results. I will be posting some pics soon.

I took just over three weeks off work, including the Christmas and New Year's period. Dr. Rahal does require that you shave your head down, so expect to look a bit strange for a few weeks. I clippered the rest of my hair down to a blade three just before I went back to work. It brought all the hair to a similar length, but that did expose the scar. I used Toppik for awhile to disguise the scar, until my hair grew back.

All in all, I'd say it took about three months before I was looking normal, and to be honest, I still haven't had a haircut since I clippered my hair on the third week post procedure. I am getting my first haircut on Saturday.

Depending on your requirements, I would take at least three weeks off work, more if you have the leave. You might even be able to take some medical leave too, as Dr. Rahal will provide a medical certificate.

Of course - I had 4,400 grafts, so my work was fairly extensive. If you needed less, you might be able to get away with less time off and it may be less obvious. Probably best to talk to the clinic to get a better idea of your requirements.

Please feel free to ask me anymore questions and good luck!