How short can you cut transplanted hair?

snowguy

Hi all, quick question. How short can you cut your hair after a HT without people noticing the change in density? Reason I ask is that I'm in the military. I can afford to get away with my hair being close to 1.5" long without catching a crazy amount of trouble. I know it depends on how dense the grafts are placed, so let's say I get the maximum density that a surgeon might comfortably do, considering i am about a NW2/3. Also, how short can you have your hair without the donor scar showing? Thanks guys!

There's really no way to answer your question without seeing your hair and knowing your donor quality. The amount of loss you have and the amount of area you are looking to cover come into play as well. Regarding your donor scar, it's kind of the same problem: some guys can go shorter depending on hair type. You will not be able to buzz it super tight with a strip scar, though, and there's always the risk of scar stretching. I would suggest looking into FUE. Bet of luck!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

If you are in the Army (I am Ex-Army)...there is pretty much NO way to get away with having a strip surgery done and the scar not be visible. The strip will be taken a lower than you will be able to get away with....assuming you keep a real military cut. If I was in and insisted on getting something done I would definately start looking at FUE...not strip....or wait til you get out if you are seriously looking at strip. A G.I. cut is just not going to be possible with a strip IMO. In Army standards you would always look like you needed a cut.

Also, if you are a 2.5 (that is what I am) I would save up 30 days leave and get it done.....at least 2 weeks. An FUE should be pretty un-noticable by then....especially if your bangs cover it up.

If you have a successful surgery you should be able to have in an incha and a have and not see a difference in density....especially at your level of loss.

You really need to consider getting on propecia or proscar as well.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

How much longer before you can get out of the Army? And how old are you? The reason I ask is because you could get on Finasteride to slow it down or stop it until you are discharged, then go for surgery. Everyone is already used to your current hairloss pattern of NW2 or 3, so stopping it where it's at would be helpful. That would give you time to save money for surgery. I'd go with FUE if you don't get any worse than a 2 or 3.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Dr Lindsey did a strip procedure on a U.S. Marine. The result was very good and I dont think you could see the scar somehow, at least not in the pics I saw. You might be able to see that result on Dr Lindey's website but if not, I'm sure if you were to contact him, he would show you.

Levrais

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

• 9 months later...