which doctor's shave recipient, which don't?

Sorry to sound like a broken record here, as I've asked similar questions before.

As some of you know, I had about 800 grafts/strip done 10 years ago at MHR and no shaving was required. I could go back to work after about 2 weeks, although there was shock loss for the first 8 months or so. But in any case, covering up the procedure wasn't a huge deal, as the donor area wasn't shaved either.

10 years later I'm doing research on this forum and it seems like everyone has to shave half their head before surgery. Honestly the freakishness of that makes it a lot hard to decide to get another procedure done. The only good doc I know who doesn't require it is Ron Shapiro, although his office recommends a very short haircut prior to surgery.

Anyway, has anyone had a bad result from not shaving all the way down? Does shaving prevent shock loss? Since the front third of my head is covered in those previous 800 grafts, will those fall out during shock loss too, or more likely survive (since they're not terminal)? Thanks!

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

Multiplier,

It's my understanding that many hair restoration physicians prefer to work on 'shaved' or closely cropped scalp, but also understand that you need to go on with life and will probably operate without shaving the recipient area. Granted, I'm sure some doctors only operate one way or another (shaved or not shaved), but I seem to recall some who will make exceptions.

It's my understanding that shaving won't do much to prevent shock loss. I think it's something hair transplant surgeons use to simplify the procedure, not prevent any post-operative issues. Also, if the 800 grafts you're referring to are the ones that were implanted in your prior procedure (10 years ago), then they should behave as any other native scalp hair post-operatively.

I hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Multiplier, your question was the decisive factor for me. Its up to each individual way of living, but I really couldn't wear a hat for months. I went to Dr Shapiro for this reason and I have not regret it. Although he gave me an ugly haircut, I was able to go to work 10-15 days later. Especially after my second procedure which was relatively small, I accompanied my daughter at a party a week later and nobody noticed anything, as far as I can tell. My result isn't bad at all, but it hasn't finalized yet, so I could post final pictures.

Stamos, what do you mean that SMG gave you an ugly haircut? Did they try to give you a good looking trim before the procedure and butchered it, or was it a trim that was supposed to help them during the procedure and not intended to be aesthetically pleasing?

Also, how is your donor scar shaping up?

Thanks!

Dr. Konior in Chicago told me he requires shaving for any procedure over 2500 grafts (preferably anything over 2000) as it will slow the procedure down too much otherwise (and harvested grafts will be out exposed longer, which could degrade yield). My first procedure was supposed to be 2500 but the doc got 2800 and he pulled it off without shaving. My second HT was 2400 grafts and again, no shaving. First HT was a spectacular success. I'm at 5 mos. from my second one and growth is coming along nicely.

Typically it is up to what the surgeon prefers, but it is not necessary for the recipient area to be shaved. Dr. True and Dr. Dorin do not require shaving the recipient area, they do not find it difficult to work around the patient's native hairdo. One way is not necessarily better than the other, shaving your head simply makes it easier for them to see the scalp.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Ah, this topic has been discussed many times. While i agree that it probably depends on the doctor, as far as i know, i think most docs prefer to work on shaved scalps. Once again, i reiterate that i am not equating non-optimal results with non-shaving, however like my post in another thread, i am not gonna risk anything. If it conveniences the doc and the techs, i dun mind looking weird for a few months.

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Stamos, what do you mean that SMG gave you an ugly haircut? Did they try to give you a good looking trim before the procedure and butchered it, or was it a trim that was supposed to help them during the procedure and not intended to be aesthetically pleasing?

Also, how is your donor scar shaping up?

Thanks!

Hi Rhino, by ugly haircut I mean that the hairs were not in the same length, the ones in the hairline where the most grafting occurred were very short, some others were long. They didn't trim it prior to procedure, the doc used scissors just before the incisions. At the end I had short to very short hair at the recipient area, but it was much better than shaved.

Donor scar: I went twice to smg, but had previous work long time ago at Greece, so I am a repair patient. The smg's scar is excellent and hard to find, but on my 2nd procedure the doc also revised my previous scar from Greece which was awful. Now I have one long scar from ear to ear. The part of the scar that has been revised (on the center) is not as thin as the scar on the sides. I don't know why.

Multiplier, your question was the decisive factor for me. Its up to each individual way of living, but I really couldn't wear a hat for months. I went to Dr Shapiro for this reason and I have not regret it.

This is the main reason I'm considering True/Dorin or Shapiro over Feller. Having a weird two-tone head for months seems much worse than simply looking balding. The effect makes people feel much weirder and I suspect makes them overreact to lots of other small things, too, because of how they're feeling. Whereas thinning hair may suck, but at least it doesn't look like something bizarre has happened to your hair.

Also when I got my original procedure at MHR, once the staples were removed, the scar was undetectable because that area wasn't shaved either.

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

Hi All,

I was reading this thread this morning before heading the the clinic to have my HT. I made sure to tell the doc I would rather not shave front. He said there was just one small part that the had to shave. I was very happy to hear that, however, the tech apparently didnt get the word and started buzzing away. I did get her to stop but I had a lot less left there than I expected. I still have a little to work with when I go back to work in a week or so. If I cant make it look right, I will ptobably just buzz who whole thing

down to #2.

Levrais

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

Each clinic has developed what works best for them and for their patients.

Dr Simmons does not recommend that patients shave the recipient area prior to surgery. Having longer existing hair helps camouflage the area afterward.

We routinely use a stick-and-place technique that allows us to work between the existing hairs. It also allows us to keep the incisions small and the grafts "chubby".

Louise

Lead Hair Transplant Technician for Dr. Cam Simmons at the Seager Medical Group

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians