Online Consultations?

snydez99

Is a virtual (by emailing photos) consultation really a viable option? I mean can

a surgeon really tell by photos if one is a good candidate? Also, if one goes this route & books surgery do surgeons let people pass if it doesn't look good?

Thanks

Virtual or online consultations can indeed be a very good resource and of course save you the time and money from flying around the world visiting doctors and clinics. However, you have to realize that the assessment by the doctor is only as good as the photos you send to him/her/them.

In order to get an assessment that is as accurate as possible you absolutely, positively MUST take photos that are clear and focused. You'd be surprised how many pictures I've seen where the submitted photos look like a bad action shot. The blur can be unbelievable!

A good start to taking photos for consultation is to simply follow the guidelines we put on our website. You should send no fewer than six hair transplant photos to a doctor for consideration. Photos should be of the top, the front, the left and right profile, the back and another of the back with the donor hair separated so the doctor can see the donor area density. Also, be sure to style your hair in way manner that shows the problem areas. Oftentimes I get photos of patients where they style their hair as if they are going out on the town. In other words, they hide the thinning thereby making their photos useless.

Also, be sure to use good all around lighting and not lighting from just one source. No flash from your camera either as that completely misrepresents what is present in reality.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 1 month later...

Snydez,

Online consultations can be a helpful tool, and the hair transplant network actually offers free online consultations with a set of excellent, reviewed hair restoration physicians. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I have to admit that I often perform on-line consultations. Of course I would prefer to meet with the patient in person. However, when patients live in other states or countries it is not often very economical or feasable. When a surgery is arranged in this manner there has to be a lot of discussion on the day of surgery before the procedure begins. Now that we are using Skype, on- line consultations are even more detailed.

• 2 weeks later...