Another young gun...

Hello to everyone here. I was watching this site for several days and now decided to join. I must say I didnt expected at my age to be joining hair loss forum but what can you do? :rolleyes:

I would like to ask for advice. I am 22 years old who started losing hair 2 years ago. I suspect i am genetically prone to hair loss since my father and late grandfather both had same issue. I have decided to go with hait transplant soon, and since I am from eastern europe can someone please suggest good hair transplant surgeon? Or yet, best if someone can tell me more about Transmed clinic in Turkey? Since I have contacted them and they gave me some very nice price for fut hair transplant, but I have seen few not so good results on this web so if someone can give me advice about them i would greatly appreciate it. Also, my second choice would be Dr. Muttilap Kesser and his FUE method. I saw some excellent results from this doctror, if someone can tell me more again.... I would opt for 3000 grafts transplant, since i was reccomended so.

And I have few questions:

- Regarding my situation, which method is best choice for me FUT or FUE?

- I am a little bit worried about scar that FUT leaves... people from Transmed have shown me a photo with very small 1.5mm scar which is perfectly covered with donor area, but can someone tell me would that mean that I can't buzz my donor area short until the rest of my life?

- Can my remaining natural hair on top be maintained with some drugs after i do the transplant as obviously i dont want to lose anymore hair after it?

Thanx, that would be all for now.

Best regards,

MaxM3

PS: I have attached one photo of particular result from Transmed clinic (which was arround 2500 grafts) that I liked very much, and asked people from Transmed clinic is there a chance I would get result like that they said it is possible I will get even better result. I would love this to be truth as I used to have hair like this :) What do you guys think? Every opinion counts for me :)

DSC03071.jpg.64feadebf1022e493e7314c37e7f14fa.jpg

DSC03077.jpg.6737533be10ee07532ad0df0482b87e8.jpg

DSC03085.jpg.393ef5ee4a8fd6a4ff507f7a1bf91328.jpg

DSC03095.jpg.e27b1395b62b16f0821386827bbd25b0.jpg

1006.jpg.73db1483a9ff5040a698cfdd071971f6.jpg

Welcome to the forum MaxM3. At your age you should consider using medication before committing to any surgery. You are very young and you may go on to lose more of your native hair. Speak to your doctor about Finasteride (propecia) or Minoxidil (Rogaine) to help stop your hair loss, and possibly regrow hair that has miniaturized.

I would suggest you try this route before going through a procedure, because from the photos it looks like you are experiencing a significant amount of hair loss, and could become a number 6 on the Norwood stages.

Due to this significant loss you should be very conservative at the start and see how you react to the medication. Many people see their hair loss stop significantly after 6 months and also have better quality hair, and regrow hair, so you may not even require such a large procedure. I would not suggest you go through the procedure until you start the medication regiment for at least one year so you can see if you are experiencing positive changes, and only then would I even consider going through the transplant. Do not rush into this decision, this will effect the rest of your life and due to the amount of hair you have already lost, and what you can lose later on, does not make you a great candidate at this point.

As for your other questions, FUE and FUT are both very good options for transplanting, but FUE does have a lower success rate as opposed to the FUT. A good surgeon can have about 90%-95% success rate from FUE, and the reason for this drop it due to the difficulty of removing the graft intact and undamaged from the scalp. Once again this is the difference between a good and bad surgeon, which you will find out quite often on this forum. FUT is about 98%-99% success rate, so you will have more growth with FUT but you will be left with a small very thin scar, which will be noticeable if you shave your head shorter than 1 inch.

So if that really bothers you than FUE is the way to go but remember you should use the medication before even considering transplanting at your age.

I am a consultant for Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin in New York. www.TrueDorin.com

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Honestly bro, you're probably not gonna like what i have to say but I'd hold off on any transplant idea's for now.

At the young age of 22, I believe it's way too young to consider a transplant. I was younger than you when I joined the forums/started researching a transplant. I ended up waiting until now [27 years old] to give me a better idea on where my loss was headed.

I'd get on meds, atleast FIN [generic of propecia] and see where your loss goes over the next few years.

On a positive note, atleast you're able to shave your head and move on with life to an extent. Most guys [including myself] are terrified with shaving their head, and live with the thin balding look.

Good luck man

edit-- Doc beat me to it and now I sound like a parrot =]

I agree with the others, and I'll add that your donor area at the back doesn't look very thick. Definitely start the Finasteride now rather than seeing it as something to begin after a transplant.

I have seen some very good work from Dr Kesser. Have you shown him your photos? The advice to hold off from getting a transplant is best for now, but it wouldn't harm hearing what Dr Kesser has to say.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Hello guys, and thank you for your kind and answers with good intentions. I have to say that this wasn't the kind of answer I was hoping to get but what can I do?

I was really determined to go on with the procedure at the beggining of next year, but now don't know what to think anymore. For sure, I know that my natural hair would be lost at some point in life, but didnt realize it would be so soon after the transplant. Also I thought that I could maintain it with those medications you have mentioned Propecia, even tho i am abit scared of using it cause I read all kinds of stories mentioning terrible side effects. And, I only shave my head cause I have to. I mean some of my friends tell me i look fine with shaved head, but the thought that I will have to live and shave my head till the rest of my life really bothers me, so as living under the hat, which i am constantly using for almost half an year now. Don't know, I really want to listen to your advice, but then again, I am terrified of shaving my head and being bald. Its just not my style dont know how else to explain it. I have sent email to doctor Kesser and awaiting his response on my matter. I forgot to mention that people from Transmed told me that I could maintain my natural hair with PRP treatment once a year at their clinic. Does anyone know something about it?

Also, here in my country, there is no doctor I can go to who can prescribe me with Propecia, since most of them probably dont know what it is. Can someone point me to a good and reliable online store where to get it, and provide me with instructions on how to use it?

Thanx for your help guys,

MaxM3

I agree with the others, and I'll add that your donor area at the back doesn't look very thick.

could it be maybe because my hair was shaved 2-3 days before? i think its rather thick now, I will take photo later. :)

Unfortunately, It won't matter if your hair looks a little thicker today which it most likely will since it has grown out more, the fact is you are very young to consider transplantation before using any medication. We do not want you to feel helpless, you may be able to have a procedure in the future, but at the moment it would be careless, please try and get minoxidil or finasteride. I am unaware of any websites that you can buy this medication from without a prescription, worth asking your doctor about it. As for the side effects, they are extremely rare, a large majority of users never feel any of them. 90% of users see a visible change in their appearance between 6-12 months and if you do notice the side effects you can stop the medication and it should leave your system within 2 weeks and return to normal. If you go on to have the procedure and do not use the medication you will certainly have an awkward looking result in the next few years. Take your time and do this right.

I am a consultant for Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin. These opinions are my own. Medical Hair Restoration, Hair Transplant Surgery, Hair Loss Solution, Cost and Remedies

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I agree you are too young and to start finasteride (propecia) soon to help keep what you have. I have a jacked up head or I would keep mine shaved. On the good side, you look like a handsome young man with a very nice round head...I would shave it and rock it like own the room your are standing in....wherever that may be.

The biggest ladies man at my work has a nice round head and shaves it....I would prolly trade some of my hair for a good head like yours :D

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

thanx for the advices guys, and thanx to Spanker for the compliment :) I wish you all have those round heads you want, but I want some hair on it lol

dont know, I will see what my options are, i listened to your advices and went throught pharmacies todays and asked for Propecia, i wish you all could see how they were looking at me when i asked like WTF is that ?? :D

before i go searching on the net for it, can someone tell me can propecia actually regrow hair or just keep what you have?

Propecia can regrow hair, usually it will take about 1 year to notice if that has happened, but you should save most of your native hair aside from the hairline and forelock regions as they typically don't respond to the medication. Most users tend to see their hair loss subside significantly, and a smaller percentage of users see hair regrow, so you have good chances to see an improvement in your case. Just because you are young and haven't used the medication yet does not mean you cannot have the procedure in the future, you just should slow down and do this the right way. You should see how you react to the medication and take it religiously for at least one year to see how the results pan out. After that you should consult a legitimate surgeon, one that is recommended on this site to see if you are now a better candidate and can proceed with the procedure.

I am a consultant for Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin. These opinions are my own. www.TrueDorin.com

Hey buddy. I'm currently in the same boat as you. I'm 22 years old and I've been losing my hair since I was 20.

Check out my thread, it will help answer some of the questions you may or will have: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/156973-newbie-22-yrs-old-hair-loss-plz-help.html

Last year, I was soooo overwhelmed of the fact that I was losing my hair that I actually made an appointment to get a hair transplant done using FUT even w/o joining or bothering to take a look at this wonderful website. And I was under a lot of stress the day before my planned surgery because I was hesitating of the fact that whether or not I was making the right decision. And I actually canceled it....probably the best decision that I made.

My professor once told me "Rushing is the work of the devil." Never rush into doing anything. If you ever decide to get a hair transplant done, you want to get it done once and right the first time.

I'm sorry to say but you (and I) are too young to get a hair transplant. I would highly suggest what all the other members are saying and start using Propecia as soon as you can. I've been on the drug for 1.5 years now and it's definitely slowed down the rate at which I lose my hair. The side effects have not bothered me. But if you are serious about trying to regaining your hair back, become proactive about it.

Here are some things I would suggest to you:

1. Stop worrying about it (yes I know its hard; easier said then done)

2. Exercise

3. Eat a balanced diet (here's why: The Best Foods for Healthy Hair : Hair Health : Men's Health Spotlight : MensHealth.com

4. Start getting on meds

5. Do some research =) [read my thread]

Edited by PP2

My Hair Loss Blog: http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2920

1st Hair Transplant: FUT/Strip, Dr. John Diep. 07/14/2014.

# of grafts: 3577

1's: 897

2's: 2016

3's: 451

4's: 213

• 2 weeks later...
Hey buddy. I'm currently in the same boat as you. I'm 22 years old and I've been losing my hair since I was 20.

Check out my thread, it will help answer some of the questions you may or will have: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/156973-newbie-22-yrs-old-hair-loss-plz-help.html

Last year, I was soooo overwhelmed of the fact that I was losing my hair that I actually made an appointment to get a hair transplant done using FUT even w/o joining or bothering to take a look at this wonderful website. And I was under a lot of stress the day before my planned surgery because I was hesitating of the fact that whether or not I was making the right decision. And I actually canceled it....probably the best decision that I made.

My professor once told me "Rushing is the work of the devil." Never rush into doing anything. If you ever decide to get a hair transplant done, you want to get it done once and right the first time.

I'm sorry to say but you (and I) are too young to get a hair transplant. I would highly suggest what all the other members are saying and start using Propecia as soon as you can. I've been on the drug for 1.5 years now and it's definitely slowed down the rate at which I lose my hair. The side effects have not bothered me. But if you are serious about trying to regaining your hair back, become proactive about it.

Here are some things I would suggest to you:

1. Stop worrying about it (yes I know its hard; easier said then done)

2. Exercise

3. Eat a balanced diet (here's why: The Best Foods for Healthy Hair : Hair Health : Men's Health Spotlight : MensHealth.com

4. Start getting on meds

5. Do some research =) [read my thread]

thanx for the advice mate. we are so damned to have this problem so early in our lifes.... i mean if this happened to me in 40s i wouldnt care, but why now?? thats what bothers me , i became so self concious , and so unsure in myself....thats the main problem for me, it affects my life so much.... i tryed to get hold of propecia but i cannot get it here in my country... and it really bothers me to take it even if i would have it for fear of side effects....dont know, i guess its best as you all said to wait until i get completely out of hair and then do it :o