Newbie needs some advice--with pics!

Hey all,

Been conducting my research as we all do, and am now ready to take the plunge with an HT (I think--I'm scared as hell!). Anyway, I downloaded all the appropriate pics (with and without flash) and want to get some insights from you vets about my suitability and prognosis. I'm not even sure what my Norwood Scale level is?

A little background: 44 yrs old, have never used any hairloss drugs (Rogaine, propecia, etc...) and have always had a f'd up hairline that makes me look older. As you evaluate the pics, note I have never had hair in the temporal region (or gaps as I call them) on both sides of my forelock. In recent years, the forelock area and the crown have started to thin making it all worse.

I have always dreamed of having a great hairline and really want to create a hairline that frames my face more nicely.

Please check out my pics and give me some help! Thanks all...

i personaly think you are a perfect candidate for a HT. your donor hair looks good. and your pattern balding i think will allow for a good result. although hair loss is progressive i think finesteride will improve your crown density and increase the quality of the hair you have left........

in regards to a HT its up to you you could do a two stage or a one pass. do the front 1/3rd first then go back for the crown if needed but finest may improve the situation of the crown so much you may not need to address that area????

a new hair line with some temple work would frame your face and take years off...

i personaly think going on finest for 6 months to a year and then think about getting 3000 grafts to lower and add density to your hairline and temples then once that is done if you have any grafts left over use them up in the crown!!!!

and i think 12 months later you will have a great result as you hair looks just right for a HT course and thick donor

good luck and pick the best DR you think is best for you from the coaliton list and youl be A ok

hope this helped

Edited by j1j9j85

I would put you at a NW4 But it is all a little subjective. Maybe a 3...

I think meds are a definate need for you whether you go ahead with the transplant or not, to keep what you have now. (which is a very good chance that you can do that.)

I think that you are a very good candidate for an HT.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

You are definitely a NW4, could possible head towards a nw5 as you age. The meds at your age will likely not regrow much, but might help you hang onto your native, vertex hair. I agree that 3000+ grafts would give you a nice new hairline and fill in your crown. I'd also beef up your temple points with a few hundred grafts (I never noticed men's temple points until I lost mine--recently had Dr. feller reconstruct them via fue). Definitely find a doc whose hairline designs you like.

Docs I would consult with would be: Feller, H&W, Alexander, Cooley, Arocha, Rahal and there's a bunch more this site recommends. The good news for you is that you found this site! And you do seem to have excellent donor characteristics.

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thanks all--I had hoped for more responses, but for those of you who did respond, your comments were awesome and much appreciated! Wow, I had no idea I was at NW 4--I'm delusional and in denial I suppose...

I had never even thought about the the temples being an issue, but I think you're right that it would make a huge difference as well--the crown can wait, as I'm most concerned about hairline and framing. I will definitely start Propecia immediately, although I'm a little freaked about the potential side effects.

Kathie, I was hoping to knock this out by the end of 2010 if possible.

Quick question: How do you judge the best Dr.'s for hairline work--by simply looking at their websites and work on this website??? Any suggestions???

Azjoe,

You seem to be a good hair transplant candidate. Personally, I would do three things: first, investigate preventive (and potentially restorative) options like finasteride/Propecia and minoxidil/Rogaine. These should really help stabilize any progressive loss and potentially add some density to your native hair. Next, review our recommended hair transplant physicians. Consulting with one (or multiple) of these talented surgeons will help give you an idea of where you stand and the best way to proceed. Finally, continue researching! Ask questions, search our discussion forums, converse with clinic representatives, etc. This will yield the greatest results in the end. Good luck, and feel free to ask any additional questions and keep us updated on your progress.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks future HT doc, I plan to follow your advice, but do have a question about the constant mantra of "research, research, research"--its much easier said than done, however. I can read forums and opinions till my eyes are crossed, but at the end of the day, without meeting HT patients face-to-face, looking at pics of doc's work is extremely subjective at best. Not living in the area of some of the more recommended "name brand" docs on this and other boards, I will be having phone consultations as soon as I can set them up.

Outside of pics I subjectively like or dislike, what am I missing in terms of research???

BTW, are you a current med student or resident??? If resident, what specialty???

Hi azjoe1, I got your email. I was planning to reply anyway to comment on your donor hair, which looks very thick and dense and I would say quite ideal.

I think people here are noticing that you look to have lost some density throughout the top and your frontal forelock is very thin. So your overall outline might be NW3V-ish, but there are clear signs of a more advanced pattern.

It's broken record time but definitely get on the medication, as others have already advised. You could see some thickening up at the vertex and the crown could fill in a little. I don't think you're too old for that if you respond well.

I notice that your temple points - those bits that jut forward at the sides, are basically non-existent and your hair goes straight up in line with your sideburns. If you were to undergo a transplant it might be wise to have them built up.

I think you're a good candidate. Just how much lower do you want to go with the hairline? Although your donor looks great, it might be wise not to be too aggressive and use up too much. A good head of hair that frames the face doesn't have to be super low.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com