Donor Scar swelling?

Hi guys,

quick question - I am 2 days post-op and there is some swelling right above my donor scar. Is this normal?

I thought swelling was primarily in the recipient area/forhead/face. I did not have any of that swelling, but rather, seem to have it all above the donor area.

I want to make sure there isnt something unexpected going on that could potentially cause my scar to stretch or something along those lines.

Thanks guys :)

hairlossguy222,

As Spex has said, you are barely out of surgery. The scar will probably be raised and swollen for some time. Baby it and it will eventually settle.

All the best!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Most likely you are experiencing some normal post operative swelling just above the donor wound. This is not very common but also not unheard of. The only thing you would need to be concerned about is a hematoma developing in this area. If the sweeling worsens, persists, or if it becoming more painful you should contact your physician right away.

Hairlossguy,

Have you considered giving the clinic a call? Like others have said, this isn't too uncommon, but it may ease some of your worries if you actually discussed the problem with the clinic and received some specific instructions on the issue. Good luck! Make sure to keep us updated.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread as I am experiencing the same thing. I am now 5 days post-op and have a swelling in the donor area right above the suture line. I showed it to a local doc today (as I got my HT done from a doc in another city) and he said it is not a hematoma and I have nothing to be worried about.

How long did it take for your swelling to subside? Did you take any special medications for it?

You are probably looking to around 10 days or so, but everyone heals in different ways and speeds.

I think the most relevant thing you said was that your doctor said you will be fine. That's the best thing that you could have heard :)

Keep us updated

Whirlwind,

To be honest, I don't think I actually had any swelling above the scar. I think it was just that the left side of my head above the scar went numb. The right side didnt. Because it was numb and I couldn't feel it when I touched it, I assumed it was larger than the other side. I think my nerves, or lackthereof, were playing tricks on me.

I had my mom check (I know, shes the best :)) and she didnt feel any swelling. Are you experiencing any loss of sensation above the scar line? Perhaps its the same thing. If not, I think its not uncommon to get swelling. Just keep an eye on it and it should subside.

IMO you did the right thing and have a doc check it out. If the doctor said you were fine, I'd take their word for it.

Rest easy bud:cool: