How often should hair be washed and conditioned?

Hi, I keep hearing don't wash your hair every day it is not good for your scalp and hair, but is this really true? I use Nioxin 3 for shampoo and conditioner.

Also is using hair gel and hair spray every day bad for the hair, and can it be the cause of my hair thinning? If i stop should it get better or the problem is not in the hair products at all.

Thank you

• 4 months later...

I have very Dry Hair so i only shampoo my hair twice a week but i put conditioner in every day... If i would shampoo my hair every day my hair would get so dry it would appear thinner and unhealthy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wash my hair every day because I get really oily hair if I don't so I guess it depends on your hair's texture and if you sweat or stay out of the house most of the day, it's better to keep your scalp and hair free of dirt and grease and especially if you use hair gel or wax.

As for hair products causing your hair thinning, I don't think so. It may or may not worsen your hair loss but not really cause it especially if you really have family history of mbp/aga.

I think most products just cause hair breakage, which can lead to thinner looking hair. But it won't stop new hair from growing. So products aren't causing your hair to actually thin, they're causing breakage which can lead to it looking thinner

• 2 weeks later...

ive recently started washing my hair everyday bt i use a mild shampoo . there r many like serene, ducray anaphase . im nt recommending doin this to anyone tho. bt clogged pores in teh scalp becz of oil r dirt is also a reason fr hair fall so u have to make sure that u keep ur scalp clean.