Guys, I hate myself. Please help. Pics.

Guest delicio

Guest delicio

Well....I don't know what to do anymore. Has been by far the most depressing and stressful summer. I am so insecure with my hair, I don't feel comfortable leaving my dorm room without a hat on. Its just too much.

I'm only 19 and I haven't seen anyone with as bad of hair as I do now my age. Realized I had a high hairline about year ago and figured it was slowly receding. So a few months ago decided to be pro-active and researched about MPB. I saw 2 hair doctors which recommend the same thing of taking Propecia along with Rogaine. Thats that.

After a couple of weeks contemplating whether to take Propecia, I bit the bullet and decided I might as well. Currently I am taking 1mg Propecia pill, 450mg Saw Palmetto pill, 5mg Biotin pill, and B-Complex vitamin everyday. Shampooing with Nexxus (will be changing the shampoo) every 1-3 days. (No, I am not currently using Rogaine. Ill explain in a bit)

And OMG these last couple to few months has been the worst in my entire life. I have lost SO MUCH hair its absolutely unbearable. My hair line has diminished (rose) by at least 3/4in. I'm literally going bald on the top and side of my head. There is no texture to my hair; just really thin, brittle, and flat. Every time I shower and shampoo, there is so much hair all over my hands. I can wave my hand through my hair right now, in 2 hours, anytime of the day and watch hairs fall out.

BUT Im trying to stay on the optimistic path and regard my increased hair loss as a temporary positive responder to the medicine and vitamins. Reasons why Im not currently using Rogaine is because I thought I should use Propecia for a while and see if it would help or not. If I were to use both but only one of them was helping, then I wouldnt know which. But then I could say that for the same case as my taking Propecia and Saw Palmetto at the same time, so Im already stuck on these 2.

From that: Should I just add in Rogaine? Should I continue to use Propecia and Saw Palmetto combined or just one? Should I use all three? (I know the vitamins have the potential to help but aren't as necessary.)

The topic of shampoo still leaves me wondering. Im interested in buying either Jasons Natural Biotin Shampoo or the one from Avalon Organics. Anyone have any opinions on either of those? I briefly tried Nioxin when I first started taking Propecia but I stopped using it because I started noticing a lot of hair loss. (Not saying its because of Nioxin, I just freaked out and havent used it since.) And since Im on shampoos, I have NEVER, EVER found a shampoo/conditioner that leaves me feeling good about my hair. I would like to say what that feels like but my hair has always beem thin, frizzy and blows way to easily in the wind.

And Im not gonna fool myself or anyone, but I do notice my Libido has dropped. I can still get erect but the excitement/ hornyness isnt really there anymore. (And Im only 19, depressing.)

One more thing. Hats. Now, Ive read around that they dont have any direct link to MPB which seems obvious. BUT they can add to the factor. Meaning increased shedding and what not, so Ive read. Is this true? Is it best not to wear a hat? Does it matter? I can not leave my room without my hat on but at the same time I feel like its just making the problem worse. I almost want to shave my head bald and wear a hat all the time.

So guys, please get me back on my feet. What should I do? I feel so pathetic that I actually saw my college therapist the first time last week. Tell me all of your opinions and comments. I need help.

5b32ca9d004bc_hair1.jpg.12a9c267fc4c6e7e30f4523dd2a0b982.jpg

5b32ca9d1bcea_hair2.jpg.d315a7e8803772501a8966d71e9850bf.jpg

5b32ca9d2db68_hair3.jpg.af41da6cccdea50b0b3e32e6138edaad.jpg

5b32ca9d4f126_hair4.png.ee5e1ba604dee3d671f1ea6b9b2e3253.png

Edited by delicio

Hi Delicio,

I'm not qualified to make comments or suggestions, but I can assure some of the more knowledgeable members will respond. All I can say is hang in there as there are always options. I can imagine how depressing this can be for you, but it helps to know you are not alone. Just wait a bit and I'm sure you will get some good advice. You have come to the right place!

Good luck to you.

Aloha Russ

delicio,

Well dude, you are losing your hair. You are not the first and won't be the last. You are smart by sticking with Fin (propecia). That will at least give you a fighting chance. Stick with Rogaine Foam as well if you can. Whatever you do, don't rush to get a HT any time soon. You are too young. At least wait until your mid-20's to do that.

You are probably shedding a bit more due to the Propecia. Stay on it. It made a big difference for me. Probably turned me from a NW6 to NW4 before I got my first HT. Try not to focus on the sides. I had a some for a couple weeks when starting Propecia but it subsided and never came back.

You still have a decent head of hair right now (even if your hairline seems a bit high). Your crown might be thinning but it's not a bald spot quite yet. So enjoy what you have now. Maybe experiment with some concealers/thickening agents (but don't get too wild with them as to make your friends do a double take). And stay on Fin. Didn't I say that before? Yeah, I think so. ;)

All the best dude.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

If it makes you feel better, you are not the worst 19 year old head of hair I've ever seen.

Propecia/finasteride does can cause a lot of "shedding" when you first start taking it. You should wait 6-9 months before determining if Propecia is working or not for you.

Remember: if you don't take Propecia, you will go bald with a probability of 100%. If you take it, the probability will be less than 100%. So even if Propecia causes some damage to your hair, it would have fallen out anyway.

I totally feel your pain. I am currently in the same boat as you. I began losing my hair when I was 20, and I'm now 22 and lost quite a bit of my hair.

Here's the link to my thread that might help: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/156973-newbie-22-yrs-old-hair-loss-plz-help.html

Number one, stop worrying about it because stress can make it worse, much worse. Easier said than done. I was already under the normal stress every college student may have, but having to lose my hair out of no where made me become even more stressful. And I noticed my hair started to thinfall out more rapidly. I was freaking out, but there was a time where you just have to take a deep breath and focus. From then on I exercise everyday or do something everyday that will get rid of the stress.

And try to start eating a balanced diet, here's why: The Best Foods for Healthy Hair : Hair Health : Men's Health Spotlight : MensHealth.com

Stick with Propecia, it has definitely helped me keep the hair that I will be losing down the line.

I know this is a hard time for you as it is with me. But have you ever considered shaving your head? Just something to consider trying before pursuing a hair transplant. Btw, as for a transplant you are way to young, and that includes me as well. The recommended age is between 24-28.

Hope this helps and stay strong buddy

My Hair Loss Blog: http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2920

1st Hair Transplant: FUT/Strip, Dr. John Diep. 07/14/2014.

# of grafts: 3577

1's: 897

2's: 2016

3's: 451

4's: 213

totally agree with al thathas already been said............... i to am only 25 and my balding started when i was 20 and it was horrific.... scared to go out in day light with out concealer or a hat..... but concealer such as nanogen or toppik are a life saver and can thicken what hair you have left by at least another 50% or more!!!! seriously look in to it as it will keep you out going and releive some stress....

be proactive.... dont be worried or sad about hair falling out due to the meds as some one already mentioned they where only going to go any way.... dead hairs walking so to speak!!!!!

#1 get your hair care programe set up and in place...

minoxidil,propecia,MSM,vitBcomplex etc tec

#2 stick to it no matter what!!! or how bad the shed hairs get as in the long term you will be better off than not doing it..........

#3 invest in some concealers toppik nanogen fullmore spray.. any hting to help thicken and conceal what you have left.......

#4 life style changes.... diet,gym and sauna and swim and boxing the healthier you are the healthier your hair will be.....

#5 take photos now before doing the meds and then take pics again in one year before you can be sure if its working!!!!!!!!!

#6 experiment with hair styles as a good stylist will work wonders to help you conceal balding.

#7 declare all out WAR on hair loss be proactive and positive..... other wise you will be back here worried about hair loss progression asking what to... when the answer is keep working against hair loss and look after yyour mop with the methods mentioned above STICK TO IT its not easy and takes work

#8 DO NOT GET A TRANSPLANT, i made the mistake of rushing in to one and had to live with the consquences for another 2 years before seeing DR HASSON consequences included increased hair loss damaged hair bad scar and terrible yiled wast of money. the shocked loss hair the was lost permanantely was greater than the number of what grafts grew 1 step forward 2 steps back.........

another thing that will keep you positve whilstr your working hard to keep your hair with the above measures.... is start saving a few bucks a week or day what ever you can spare then in 5 years time if when your balding has stabalised and you know if a HT will be a good idea with the patern you have balding you have at least you will have the money to visit a coalition DR recomended here on this site and get a plan for a transplant....

and if your lucky you woul dhave saved enough of your hair to feel confident using concealers and then you dont need to spend ALOT of money on a procdure that may or may not work for you and you can buy a nice car or something.......

if i could turn back the clock to when i was 19 the baove is exactly what i would love to have the chance to do it would have saved me alot of tears pain and cash!!!!! to the extent of which im only begining to recover from now!!!!!!!

do the right thing follow the advice here and we will help the best we can you have already done the right thing and that is seek advcie here!!!!! beofre making a bad decision on surgery etc.......

CHIN UP BRO ive bin there done that got the tshirt and it SUCKS so dont feel like your over reacting get positive get proactive follow the good advice and not the bad and remember its war on hair loss its not easy and if you stop fighting so will your hair and it will fall out................

MSM,NIZORAL,BCOMPLEX,FINESTERIDE,ROGAINE,CLEANDIET,WORKING OUT

are your new friends and you should use them every day good luck:D

hello delicio,do what you can now because when its gone its gone,one of the biggest mistakes folk make is comeing off the med's due to the shedding,i did the exact same thing myself years ago,i went back on the med's about 6 months ago and after the very alarming shed my situation has improved beyond were i started from,if i'd stayed on the med's i would probably be better off by several thousand hairs,good luck to you but whatever you do don't get a ht yet as the only doc's out there that would give one are'nt interested in you just money and you will be very fortunate if it does'nt completely mess up a good portion of your life,its better to be bald than need corrective surgery because of some greedy asrehole,all the best and have a nice day....

I hear you. Same thing here, going to university and it's such a hassle to think about hair, figuring out how to get away with it, how to conceal it, how to cure it. You know it's bad when the professor is talking about something and you are thinking of ways to conceal hair loss and missing a good portion of their lecture. Then they ask you a question and the first thing on your mind is rogaine or propecia. Seriously go through this a lot. Your not the only one that is seeing a therapist, I just scheduled the other day to go see mine next week. This situation is bugging me big time too. So, I just had to respond to your post as you are going through something very similar and did something similar.

From the pictures you showed though, it does not seem that bad. Hope it works out for you, but for me I am taking the transplant route. I can't wait any longer and trying to find time between school to get a procedure or rather taking many classes as I can now so I can graduate by the summer so I can get a procedure done. I don't wear hats, it's only when I use toppik that I can not worry about that. Sick and tired of taking hours to do my hair and using toppik to conceal though. The only successful way to apply it is to use that separate pump to disperse it right into your scalp at different angles. Stress from college alone can thin hair. I don't know if it is just me that noticed this, but nearly every guy in med school has thin hair or balding. I know I am losing hair but that makes me look at the situation in others and debate about it. Medical students go through some hellish studying so that may cause it for them? I don't know, but stress is a factor and if you got more stress than others then you could be more at risk. Not enough sleep, not a good diet or exercise, stressors, all play a heavy role in male pattern baldness. I am overly self conscious about hair loss. A day doesn't go by that I do not think about it. From weather patterns, wind patterns, to rain reports, to everything. I pre-plan my mission to go outside. Pisses me off but I think I am probably not the only one.

Good luck to you and wish you the best.

delicio,

There is nothing I can add to the already excellent advice you've received. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and already know the answer to many of the questions you posed.

Rogaine and Propecia are your best bets. Anything else is likely to provide more peace of mind than actual results. I started both at the same time. I've seen results and I couldn't tell you which one is working or if they both work in combination but I don't care. I plan to continue both until a better solution comes along.

When your Propecia runs out I highly suggest generic finasteride 5mg and splitting the pill. The cost saving are tremendous. Combine that with generic minoxidil and your monthly cost for meds will be less than two trips to Starbucks.

Hats are not likely to exacerbate hair loss unless you are wearing your hat so incredibly tight that it's causing traction alopecia and that's highly unlikely.

Hang in there. I agree that yours is not the worst case I've seen in a teenager. You have youth on your side. Stay consistent with the medication and ride out the shedding.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website