2 yrs of Avodart/Dutasteride destroyed my hair

Einstein

For whatever it's worth...

I've used dutasteride and avodart for 20 months now and it's done nothing but destroy my hair. if you want to see what it did to my crown check out my pics in the hair transplant section (yes, i now need a transplant in my crown!).

Be sure to use finasteride FIRST before jumping to avodart. I'm not saying it will be as bad for you like it was for me, but leave it as an absolute last resort.

Einstein,

Are you sure the Avodart/Duasteride caused thinning in the crown area? It's also likely that you didn't respond well to the drug, and the crown balding is simply a result of progressive hair loss. Have you spoken to a physician about the medication?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Yes I was told for some people the hormonal balance will cause a temporary shedding and that for others the hormonal balance will cause telogen effluvium. My shedding lasted for 13 months and everyday I told myself that this was normal. Not only my crown, by my entire head thinned out, even my frontal transplanted hairs.

Now I use a lot of xandrox 15% plus morning and night.

I dropped my avodart dose to 0.5mg to weekly or 2x per week. Now I want to add finasteride and eventually stop dut totally.

Can I regrow what I lost?

I've been on generic dutasteride for about 3 months now. I started taking it once a week, now I take it 3x a week. I think it has helped a lot, and I have not gotten any side effects. I was on finasteride for about a year and a half with minimal results.

I've been on generic dutasteride for about 3 months now. I started taking it once a week, now I take it 3x a week. I think it has helped a lot, and I have not gotten any side effects. I was on finasteride for about a year and a half with minimal results.

If I were you i wouldnt increase the dose any more than that. Even a single dose once a week is much stronger than propecia everyday. My results on dut were excellent the first 5 months where I was taking it twice per week.

Guys,

In my personal opinion, I would consult with the prescribing physician (and obtain his or her approval) before changing the dosage of any prescription medication.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Guys,

In my personal opinion, I would consult with the prescribing physician (and obtain his or her approval) before changing the dosage of any prescription medication.

99% of people taking Avodart/Dutasteride take via ordering online without prescription. How do you consult with a physician that has never and will never prescirbe it in the first place? Which doc do you know of prescirbes Dutasteride for hair loss???