Sleeping after FUE

Down the road I may consider FUE to correct strip scar. Overall my scar is good other than a few spots that have either stretched or was just poorly trich stitched up. I'm curious though, if the scar is all around back of the head, (left/right/back) then how do people generally sleep? I mean, youre not suppose to lay on new implanted graphs. Do docs expect you to sleep with you face down on the pillow?

Edited by Gin0rm0usF0rehead

Hi there, just to make sure i m on the same page, u mean sleeping after FUT? Your topic said otherwise hence i thought i better make sure :)

I had strip surgery in mid june and the transplant was on the hairline. Indeed i felt uncomfortable for the first 1 or 2 weeks. However, i hardly think that will lead to any stretching. Also, i do not understand when u mentioned lying on the newly planted grafts. I am sure most, if not all, HT goers have work done on their hairline or crown so i dun see any issue. I have not heard of anyone having transplant at the donor site. That would be illogical :)

hope that helps!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

You should be fine sleeping even though they are put into the old scar, the biggest risk you have of taking them out is when you are awake and you would accidently scratch them (yes you can forget that you have anything done there).

LLikthos here above says, after the grafts are put into the crown you will also sleep on the grafts,should not be a poroblem.

Good luck.

Gin0rm0usf0rehead,

If I understand correctly, you are looking to have grafts placed into a previous follicular unit transplantation (FUT or strip) scar via follicular unit extraction (FUE)? Your concern is post-operative sleeping because the grafts will be located on the back and sides of your head, which is an area that is in contact with a pillow for the majority of the night?

Honestly, my assumption would be that you may need to sleep in a specialized position for a few days. It's my understanding that until the implanted units are anchored (usually around 7-10 days), rubbing them against a pillow can be potentially harmful. I think it may be advantageous to discuss this with the clinic, as they may have a specific set of post operative instructions specifically for this issue.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Sorry everyone. I re-read my posting and it was not worded carefully and may have been confusing. I had strip surgery performed to improve my frontal hairline area which left a scar in the back that is visible if i clip my hair too short. I am considering using FUE to fill in the scar. But since the scar wraps all the way around the back of my head, and the implanted hairs are going in the scar, it would seem almost impossible to sleep and not apply pressure/contact on the newly implanted hairs.

I'm surprised no one here who had FUE surgery to correct a strip surgery could comment on his/her experience.

Thanks a bunch guys. Sorry for the confusion. This is an awesome site by the way! I really wish I knew about it prior to my transplants.

Edited by Gin0rm0usF0rehead

The clinic can put a bandage over your re-planted strip and give you instructions on how to apply it. I don't think it is a concern but I would be interested to know if 'popping' is more of an issue in strip scars, particularly tough ones . By 'popping' I mean when a newly implanted graft just kinda gets squeezed and jumps out of the recipient site.