Which Surgeon To Choose

Pedro11

Hi,

I was hoping for some advice from the experienced members here. I have had 2 transplants, both from Bosley (2000 and 2003), and dissapointed both times. At the time, i was very concerned for a botched surgery from an unknown company, so I stuck with Bosley. This year, I did a Google search trying to find the best surgeon for a 2010 final transplant. After a long process, my best guess was Hasson & Wong. I then discovered Hair Tranplant Network has a recommend list, and noticed Hasson & Wong are on it. They are a great distance to travel for me, and I dont mind doing it if they are the best. But I noticed there are several surgeons in my state and neighboring state on the recommend list. My question is, is there a tremendous difference between doctors on this list, or will I be getting close to the same result as long as I choose one on the list? And how do you know without taking tremendous time off work to travel and interview with all these surgeons? I would really appreciate anyone's opinion.

What about Dr. Gabel? He is recommended on here and does very nice work. He is in Bellevue.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

It's a shame you don't live in Vancouver anymore because you would be able to drive to H&W and wouldn't have to worry about airport security and all of that other nonsense. My advice is continue to research and pick out the surgeons that impress you the most. For me, it was Dr. Hasson and Dr. Rahal...talk to some of their patients and talk to the physicians directly over the phone if an in person consult isn't convenient for you. Good luck.

Thanks very much for taking the time. I reviewed the AZ doctors. Dr. Sharon Keene has a very impressive resume. It is only a 5-6 hour drive from Flagstaff near where I live, and I think i might call her next week. I am just hesitant to take any doctors word. My first Bosley interview was at Portland, OR non surgery office. Saleman made tremendous promises on what could be done. Then, about 10 minutes after surgery was done at Seattle office while still drugged up, the doctor preps me on what to expect and without me ever mentioning what i was told by Portland office, he says, "Don't believe anything you heard from Portland. They over sell. This is what will happen....." I definately only feel confident based on amount of patients giving surgeon a great review...

Pedro, I live in the Phx. area & I had my surgery done about 3 years ago with Dr. Scott Alexander in Phoenix who is recommended here. I would recommend him to anyone looking for a great surgeon right here in Arizona. I am looking foward to going back for my second round with Dr. Aleander this year.

Get yourself an consultation with him, you can't go wrong with Dr. Alexander.

I hope to buy a vacation house in Flag. I love it up there!

Atomic

Yeah, finding a great surgeon and staff that won't butcher you is definitely an unnerving experience. Luckily we have this site!

I checked Dr. Alexander's website and although it didn't explicitly say he does 3,000+ grafts, he probably does it since he is a coalition member. You can ask him. He also does free consultations.

Pedro11,

While you can't go wrong with Hasson & Wong or any of our other recommended physicians, I can only speak from personal experience when talking about Dr. Alexander.

I had my first hair transplant with him a year and a half ago and my second hair transplant with him almost 4 months ago.

He is a true artist and a caring physician. While my first hair transplant resulted in lower density than I would have liked, I was thrilled with the naturalness of the hairline and quality of the scar. I went back to add density to the frontal third and slightly lower the hairline and I'm very optimistic.

I would recommend Dr. Alexander to anyone considering surgical hair restoration. Unfortunately, I don't know if he does 3000+ procedures.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Pedro, Dr. Alexander does do 3,000 per session depending on your characteristics. I am sure you will be overwhelmingly happy with Dr. Alexander compared with your previous Bosley transplants.

He does dense packing, leaves no scar & an undetectable natural hairline.

Good luck,

ATomic

Pedro, Dr. Alexander does do 3,000 per session depending on your characteristics. I am sure you will be overwhelmingly happy with Dr. Alexander compared with your previous Bosley transplants.

He does dense packing, leaves no scar & an undetectable natural hairline.

Good luck,

ATomic

Isn't it impossible to not have a scar? At the most it would be just hard to see.

Hey Pedro. How's it going? I just wanted to tell you a little bit about my experience. I flew all the way to Phoenix last summer to receive transplants from Dr. Alexander. My brother had the surgery the year before from the same doctor, and had incredible results, so I decided to do it as well. Let me tell you, I have zero regrets! The results I have had are unbelievable...just as good or even better than my brother. You can check out my blog at Hair Restoration Site for roytom. I am continuing to update it on a regular basis. Dr. Alexander is a fantastic surgeon, and he and his staff are super nice and will make your experience incredibly comfortable. It's worth the trip down to Arizona for this life-changing procedure.

Pedro,

I also went with Dr. Alexander. You should contact him for a free consult--he and his staff are very professional and friendly. On the day of my surgery I felt at ease and in good hands the entire time despite the worries I had about finally pulling the trigger and getting hair transplants. I did it over 2 years ago and my life has been better ever since with new confidence and continued compliments of how great my hair looks.

Best of luck! Feel free to email me directly with any questions.

osidekid

• 1 month later...

Pedro,

I just had mine done 23 days ago in Arizona. I also live in AZ and traveled for consults to all our Dr.s here.

I decided on Dr. Friedman and have been extremely pleased with the entire experience from start to now day 23.

Wish you well with the decision process.

I know for me that this site and the people on here and the publishers were of GREAT help.

I also know how agonizing it can be to make the final decision :)

Good Luck !!!!!