Density Improvement Program by Harklinikken

I received something in the mail today that looks interesting but I have no idea what it is or if it is legitimate. A coalition doctor (Paul Rose) is involved with it. Apparently it is a process called LHFUE (Long Hair Follicular Unit Extraction) where individual long hair follicles are extracted and placed as short hairs between existing hairs in the natural direction of growth. This just sounds to me like a regular hair transplant. Is there a difference I'm missing and what are the reviews on this procedure?

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Time To Do Something,

I could not find any information about this procedure anywhere. If you discover anything else, please update the community!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Time To Do Something,

I'm afraid I'm still a bit confused. It seems as if the system described in those websites is a herbal topical treatment used after a follicular unit extraction (FUE) procedure? Where is the "Long Hair Follicular Unit Extraction" aspect? I'm genuinely curious and would like to know more.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Maybe we should get Dr. Rose to comment on it. In the letter it indicates that it is a state of the art minimally invasive method of hair transplantation. It is run by PhD's and MD's according to the literature. If you go to www.tampadermatology.com and search under the Hair Loss Services tab that is supposed to be where the information is. I'm glad I'm not the only one confused. I didn't think a coalition doctor would associate himself with any quackery which is why I want to find out more about it.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Time To Do Something,

Thank you for continually researching the issue. I'll consult with Bill and see if we can get Dr. Rose (or a representative from his clinic) to explain the procedure a bit further. Again, thank you for sharing this information with the community.

TTDS and Blake,

I am familiar with the "long haired" hair transplant procedure wich from the sounds of the above, is what they're referring to. It was discussed briefly at the 2008 ISHRS scientific meeting in Montreal. Basically, it's the same procedure but instead of shaving the donor area, hairs are extracted/harvested without cutting them and then implanted into the recipient areas. The primary benefit of this procedure is that it's easier for the patient to conceal they've had a hair transplant the first couple weeks post-transplant. The transplanted hair will however, still shed in 2 to 4 weeks and require the usual amount of time to regrow. The major downside in my opinion, is that it's a bit more difficult for surgeons to perform. Thus, I would suspect that there may be some additional risk for poor growth due to the extra care and manipulation of the hairs required during the procedure.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill,

Thank you for the clarification!

What do they do? Thread the long hairs through the cutter hole then cut the fu out? Sounds VERY tedious, and hair transplantation is already very tedious ;). It is probably even more costly than normally shaved FUE.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I saw a pic of something similar an Dr. Limmers website . I think it was from a strip procedure . The patient had the grafts inserted in the recipient area with the normal length hairs still emerging from the graft instead of shaving the donor follicles pre op .

TTDS and Blake,

I am familiar with the "long haired" hair transplant procedure wich from the sounds of the above, is what they're referring to. It was discussed briefly at the 2008 ISHRS scientific meeting in Montreal ... The primary benefit of this procedure is that it's easier for the patient to conceal they've had a hair transplant the first couple weeks post-transplant. ... Best wishes,

Bill

The long-haired transplant was presented by Dr. Marcelo Pitchon of Brazil.

I believe this was done as a strip FUT procedure. My understanding was that the main purpose was to use it to simulate final density for planning. Patients could look in the mirror as the case progressed and could have input about whether they wanted more density or to cover more area. It was interesting to see videotaped patient's reactions when they saw themselves in the mirror with a sudden improvement. Dr. Pitchon explained clearly that the transplanted hairs would mostly shed then grow back like a typical transplant. It seemed to me that long-hair transplants would be more technically difficult and that the cosmetic recovery would be smoother with short-hair transplants but it was a very interesting presentation.

I, like many doctors, transplant slightly longer hairs where it is important to control the direction of the curl, such as in eyebrow transplants.

Cam Simmons MD ABHRS

Seager Medical Group,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians