Balding again ??? [16th month post-op, transplant @ H/W]

K_2009

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand you going for a second procedure with Dr. Wong after your first did not turn out well!!! however, if your second does not turn out well, why would you want to risk a third one with the same doctor..personally, i would not even let the same doctor touch my head again after a failed 1st transplant..you run the risk of loosing valuable donor...if the doctor messed up in the first place, what made ytou think that he would give you the desired result in repeat procedures!!!!!

it's also possible that the doctor is doing everything correctly, but it's just those areas can't yeild the same growth. personally, if I were in his shoes and I trusted my doctor I'd stick w/ him too.

I still contend that the MAJORITY of patients with successful outcomes do not want their pictures shown, do not bother keeping up blogs, and are too busy enjoying life and not thinking about their hair anymore. These are the average joe types who were smart/lucky enough to find a top doc, who were good candidates, and who are psycholgically healthy and have more going on in life than just their looks to constantly obsess over.

I think the majority of successful AND unsuccessful patients don't bother keeping blogs or posting on forums. It's an interesting assumption you make about forum veterans and it may be true. However, I certainly wouldn't go quite as far to say that most forum members are obsessive, never satisfied and/or have no social life. I certainly don't consider myself to be in that category and it seems like you don't put yourself in that category either. From the amount of posters talking about working out and attracting the opposite sex I'd say there are definitely some more members out there that know how to have a good time.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate exp with HT and it is nice to hear that Dr. Wong stands behind his words..however, i have a couple of questions for you.

I can understand you going for a second procedure with Dr. Wong after your first did not turn out well!!! however, if your second does not turn out well, why would you want to risk a third one with the same doctor..personally, i would not let the doctor touch my head again after a failed transplant..you run the risk of loosing valuable donor...if the doctor messed up in the first place, what made ytou think that he would give you the desired result in repeat procedures!!!!

My response to that is 2 reasons: 1st-I have complete trust in Dr Wong as he has an impeccable reputation. 2nd-the cost as he was doing the procedure for free. I don't feel he was directly responsible for my poor growth. I don't think anyone can pin point the specific physiological reasons why either I or someone else may not respond well in certain areas as far as transplanted growth goes but I do feel that he is doing everything in his power to make it right. Granted that the initial procedure was a substantial amount of money and for any future procedures I will still have to endure the travel/lodging expenses again along with the downtime for recovery but I truly believe that Hasson & Wong was/is the best possible choice I could have made for restoring my hair.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate exp with HT and it is nice to hear that Dr. Wong stands behind his words..however, i have a couple of questions for you.

I can understand you going for a second procedure with Dr. Wong after your first did not turn out well!!! however, if your second does not turn out well, why would you want to risk a third one with the same doctor..personally, i would not let the doctor touch my head again after a failed transplant..you run the risk of loosing valuable donor...if the doctor messed up in the first place, what made ytou think that he would give you the desired result in repeat procedures!!!!

My response to that is 2 reasons: 1st-I have complete trust in Dr Wong as he has an impeccable reputation. 2nd-the cost as he was doing the procedure for free. I don't feel he was directly responsible for my poor growth. I don't think anyone can pin point the specific physiological reasons why either I or someone else may not respond well in certain areas as far as transplanted growth goes but I do feel that he is doing everything in his power to make it right. Granted that the initial procedure was a substantial amount of money and for any future procedures I will still have to endure the travel/lodging expenses again along with the downtime for recovery but I truly believe that Hasson & Wong was/is the best possible choice I could have made for restoring my hair.

Wow..it is nice to see how much trust you have in the reputation of Dr. Wong inspite of a failed procedure. If you dont mind, can i ask you how you developed this trust. How many patients of Dr. wong did you meet in person that were not referred to you by the clinic itself...Was this trust built on the online reputation of Dr. Wong or you had other factors involved as well...please dont get me wrong..i am not trying to pick on you. I also strongly beleive that he is considered the best HT doctor in the planet on these forums but then i see posts like yours and ponder whether we need to do additional research..

I can understand your point about the cost factor as he offered to do the surgery for free..this to me means that, he accepts this as a failed transplant...Was he also open to give you a refund? To me, this is really important in determining how ethical the doctor is..lemme ask this..if he had offered a refund, would you still go back to him!!

it's also possible that the doctor is doing everything correctly, but it's just those areas can't yeild the same growth. personally, if I were in his shoes and I trusted my doctor I'd stick w/ him too.

Megatron, all other things being equal, what makes you think if those areas did not yield good growth in the first place, that they would in a subsequent procedure??

I would be interested in learning if the doctor is going to do things differently or if the technician just screwed up in the first place..please rememer, since the donor area is limited, evey graft is invaluable!!!

It's true H&W does have a powerful P/R machine and that allows them to pull clients from all over the world but I would gather all successful HR Docs would also like the same. My research was based on both the H&W website, conversations with Joe and the forum (mainly the forum as this is the unbiased/unfiltered info). As for unsuccessful procedures--I think that they would post on the forum as I've seen good and bad here. Really what it all boils down to for me is trust--I felt very comfortable with the entire process I went and am going through with H&W. When you asked if I talked with any unsuccessful clients from H&W the answer is no--I wouldn't know how to go about contacting them. My only hope is they would let this forum do it's job and post/present facts about their experience. Since I rarely see any negative feedback concerning H&W that is why I chose them. I hope this helps...

Rugman,

In my personal opinion, a lot of the reason Hasson and Wong attracts patient from all over the globe is the quality of their results and the dedication to transparency (i.e. publicly displaying so many cases). I think this is the best 'PR' available in the hair transplant industry.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Rugman I think H&W is a very good clinic. But I wouldn’t consider the forums unbiased and unfiltered. They are sponsored by HT clinics, this very fact makes them biased. Which is fine, but forum readers need to keep this in mind when reading the posts.

I have seen unhappy patients come and go over the years and they rarely stick around, they just fade away. Really who wants to talk about how they had bad cosmetic surgery. I think the patients themselves even take on most of the blame. After all it is elective surgery, no one forced them to have it done. So of course there is probably some personal guilt involved.

I have had the opportunity to speak to many patients and repair patients off the forums. It’s a much better form of communication when you need the truth. Just my opinion.

Topcat611,

I would not say that the people that post here are biased. Rather, they express their opinions and concerns about HT surgery. Research has demonstrated that there are many surgeons that are considered to be top notch. Other, not so much.

You are correct that this is elective surgery. People just need to do their homework.

Haircut, I did not make myself clear and you misunderstood me, my fault. When I am referring to bias I am referring to those who are in the business of running a forum and making a profit. Not to those whom the forum is directed towards which would be the readers and posters, they are just the audience. The customers are the sponsors. And when I say bias I am saying to some extent, some forums more so then others.

There are plenty of top notch doctors that I know for a fact are not top notch. That is something you can't always get from the forums. Just trying to keep it real.

Edited by Topcat611

Topcat611,

Oh, I see. My apologies. In the end, determining the correct MD for your HT is all about doing research. That requires time and effort. Unfortunately, I feel that many people do not do their homework prior to a HT procedure.

What worries me most , from experience, is that there is a finite amount of donor area to work with. Many people do not consider this in the beginning.

• 2 weeks later...
I too am unfortunately one of the unlucky ones. I had a mega-session April 2009 (4700) with good results in some areas but less in others. ..................................................... In any case I continue to think/look long term and hope you also do the same. Best of luck in getting the final results you are looking for

Hi Rugman & others,

Many thanks for posting your expeirence. My sincere apologies for not keeping this thread updated, as I got carried away by a number of family issues.

I feel bad to hear about your ordeal, but also pleased to see that corrective actions are in place. I truly hope that your results would fullfill your expectations.

If you could post some pics, that would help us too.

These days, I am only hoping whatever I have, stays with me. I am not fond of going for another transplant, even though fourtunately I live very close to H/W clinic.

To all other folks >>>>>>>>>>>>>

Many thanks for wrting. you wont believe how much i was relieved to hear your advice & opinion.

These forums definitely are important PR vehicles for HT clinics, no doubt. People who stick to these forums either have vested interest or are hair-o-holic (no offence ;)). Rest of the guys are like me, who come and go as seasons change. Thats life I guess.

Any ways, thanks again. Peace out !

• 2 weeks later...

i think the main point being made by k_2009, as indicated by the title, is that he is anxious because he is losing the TRANSPLANTED hair... can anyone comment on this? i thought transplanted hair was supposed to be safe and wasn't supposed to fall out... what could be causing this and have others had experiences like this? can it be stopped/reversed?