punch outs...

I wondered this too and I was concerned that it would be like redness at the donor incision. There it varies from person to person greatly with light skinned persons (like myself) taking many months to clear up.

BigBill,

Who is doing your procedure if I may ask?

I've gotten four opinions from doctor consults now and 3 of 4 won't do punch-outs of older grafts. I personally would like it done because some at my hairline seem too big for just "camouflage".

The fourth doctor was not even going to completely punch-out the grafts, just de-bulk them with (I believe) a FUE process ... which sounds good to me.

Mine are still pink after 16 years. It really shows when I get out of a hot shower. They are the mini/micrografts. The 1-2 hair grafts in the hairline don't do it but the larger 3-4 hair grafts do. No one on the forum has had a solid answer to it, as it seems to be rare. I never went back to the doctor that did the surgery because he moved to Cincinatti (Dr. Wolf). My best guess is it's a histamine reaction.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

SMG did punch outs on me. I had a few unsightly 2-3 hair grafts in the hairline from my previous procedure (elementary mistake imo). The punch outs are slightly larger than normal grafts and take a little longer to heal. Mine were completely gone between the 2nd and 3rd month. I do take a little longer to heal than most I suspect.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

It depends on the size of the punch used . If it is between 1-1.5 mm it will heal sooner and the redness will fade over a month or two . It also depends on an individuals healing characteristics . Bigger punch = more trauma=longer healing . For punching out some unsightly 3 hair grafts I would think the redness would fade in about a month or two on my own scalp .

RCWest, who punched yours out? How many did you have taken out?

Sorry I didn't come out clearer. I didn't have any grafts punched out. Mine were the correct size from the start. It's just that they are still pink after all these years.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I am having the procudure with Dr. Charles. I don't have the larger, older grafts... just two hairs in the hariline that need to be taken out.

Would that be considered FUE to remove those, being so small? I guess I'm not familiar with the details between "punch out" and FUE when its concerning very small grafts.

And I ask because (I think) FUE is how some of my larger ones will be partially reduced in hair count.

If there is a difference btwn FUE and punch-out of small grafts at the hairline, I wonder how the healing differs? for example, flatness or the redness you were inquiring about?

They not up to the challenge?

It really surprised my too because some of them showed doing this kind of work on their websites ... I believe it was different in my case because they planned on putting more, appropriate sized grafts in front of the old larger ones. They were thinking "camouflage". Also, my donor supply is soo limited, I think they were hesitant to remove anything thats growing.

Would that be considered FUE to remove those, being so small? I guess I'm not familiar with the details between "punch out" and FUE when its concerning very small grafts.

And I ask because (I think) FUE is how some of my larger ones will be partially reduced in hair count.

If there is a difference btwn FUE and punch-out of small grafts at the hairline, I wonder how the healing differs? for example, flatness or the redness you were inquiring about?

Yes, I guess it FUE since they are only taking the two hair grafts out of my hairline..