Newbie: 22 yrs old. Hair Loss. PLZ HELP!!

Hi everyone,

I am 22 years old and I started to lose my hair when I was 20.

My hair is thinning out on the top of my scalp. My sides and back are very thick.

I also attached a picture of my hair loss.

I'm an active person, I play a lot of sports and love hanging out with friends. And ever since I noticed thinning in my hair, I am constantly getting picked on and teased. It's not fun. My self-esteem has gone down big time. It truly sucks losing it at this age and I have read several threads of people losing their hair at younger ages, so I feel lucky.

When I first noticed that that my hair was beginning to thin out I immediately began to use Rogain foam. I used that for a about 2-3 months and wasn't seeing any results. Then I stopped using rogain and instead pursued using Propecia. I have been on Propecia for a little over a year now and I have noticed that my hair loss has significantly slowed down, but slowly I can still see that my hair is still falling out. The side affects of Propecia has not affected me that much at all.

I was really considering possibly getting a transplant done using Strip method but I have been in contact with several physicians who tell that I'm too young. The recommended age for HT in young men is somewhere between 24-28 if my sources are correct. But WHY? Does it really make a difference whether I get the surgery done now or 2 years from now? I don't want to have to keep taking drugs and waiting it out because it will only get worse and worse, I would like to just get a HT done and get a full head of hair asap! In the end, I feel like if I just keep taking Propecia and wait it out for another 2 years, I feel the area that I'm losing my hair will only get worse. Advice PLZZ?

I was also considering using Nanogen for the time being as a cover up. Good or bad idea?

Any help, advice, thoughts or concerns would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

img0183u.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

img0184xn.jpg

img0237fa.jpg

My Hair Loss Blog: http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2920

1st Hair Transplant: FUT/Strip, Dr. John Diep. 07/14/2014.

# of grafts: 3577

1's: 897

2's: 2016

3's: 451

4's: 213

22 is too young, I was 22 when I got my first and I really regret doing it at that age. You should do as the doctors say and wait until at least 24. Using nanogen or any sort of cover up will help you in the meantime, and wont have any detrimental affects on your hair.

Why did you stop using Rogaine after 3 months, you wont have seen any results by then anyway, you should give it a year to evaulate it properly.

Dont talk about your hairloss in front of your friends, just make out that you dont care anymore, and they should leave the issue alone, if they dont, then they arent good friends.

PP2,

From the content of your post it is obvious that you have very little knowledge of what getting a HT entails. It is NOT the quick fix permanent solution that you (and many others your age) want it to be! It is a very complicated matter that you need to spend at least 1 year researching just to get your feet wet.

You have aggressive MPB, that is obvious from your photos. There are many money fiend hack docs that will tell you what you want to hear, then steal your money and leave you butchered for life and looking like a circus freak. The few ethical doctors out there will tell you that you are way too young, and that you need to stay on finasteride for at least til age 25 to see if it works for you.

And even if it does work and they say you are a HT candidate, you will still need to stay on finasteride for the rest of your life -- or until some new advancement comes along.

Sparky,

Thank you very much for the reply. I used Rogain for 3 months because I noticed my hair progressively got worse and worse month after month. After rubbing in the foam, I noticed my hands was had some hair in it and I felt like I was just losing the last bit of hair of what I already had. And those hairs never grew back, and so I just felt like it was making it worse. I probably should have it for at least a year to get the full effect but I was not comfortable using it. I didn't like the fact how it made my hair very sticky on a daily basis. In the meantime, I am going to order a set of the Nanogen product and see where that takes me. Thanks again for your advice, I greatly appreciate it.

EpilepticSceptic,

Thank you very much for your reply. I totally understand where your coming from. Since I'm young, I'm just vulnerable into rushing things simply because its never easy losing one's hair at a youthful age. But I will really take in your advice and definitely taking my time into looking up what HT is all about and finding a good physician that I feel comfortable will do a great job. This is something I don't want to look back and say.....I should have done that. Your absolutely right; if I do decide to get a HT done, I want to do it once and get it right the first time. Since I have to wait a few years, I have some homework cut out for me. I greatly appreciate your help.

Why even after a HT, do you still have to be on finasteride for the rest of your life? Shouldn't the transplanted hair be permanent if your using hair from the back of your scalp?

My Hair Loss Blog: http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2920

Why even after a HT, do you still have to be on finasteride for the rest of your life? Shouldn't the transplanted hair be permanent if your using hair from the back of your scalp?

Well, this is a beaten horse around here but since you are so receptive I'll explain it once more.

MPB is progressive. Even on finasteride you are likely to lose some additional hair as time progresses. If you have a transplant now, the Dr. Will have to plant the permanent hair AROUND the other healthy hair. But what looks to be healthy hair today might very well be gone 5 years down the road. So what will your head look like then ? It is VERY possible that, even though the permament hair looks natural because your doc was top notch, the balding PATTERN of transplanted hair mixed with new bald spots may NOT look natural, even perhaps freakish. And the only way to fix it is to go back in for a second, and sometimes even 3rd transplant. Some call this "chasing your hairloss".

This is why younger men are considered high risk for HTs, because much of the hair that looks good today may be gone by age 25/30. If you go from where you are right now to Terry Bradshaw bald by age 30, then you may never have even been a good HT candidate to begin with -- and you might have an expensive looking moustache on your head that was a "hairline" just 5 years prior, and no donor hair left to "fill in" the bald spots behind it.

Do you see more clearly now ? It's a complicated affair, mon frere!

Edited by EpilepticSceptic

A positive thing I can see is that your hair appears to be thick and wavy. If at some point in the future you do find yourself undergoing a transplant, this should work in your favour by providing good coverage with fewer grafts than if your hair were fine and straight.

I know it's a clich? but have you considered buzzing your hair very short? It can be a shock to adjust to having a shaved head but the aesthetic effect is often superior to the balding look.

When you say your hair is still falling out (after a year on propecia) are you saying that you've noticed your hair is continuing to thin, or that you're still seeing fallen hairs? If the latter then that isn't necessarily anything to worry about.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

EpilepticSceptic,

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't even thinking about that, very very good to know :)

mattj,

Thanks for the reply. It has always been in the back of my mind whether I should buzz my hair or not. I have buzzed my hair a few times in the past and remembering that I didn't like it, but I could improvise under my situation at this point. I'm just not sure if I would be ready or comfortable because it would be a dramatic change in look. I will always keep that in mind because that option is always available. Buzzing one's hair can actually look very good, I have a cousin who is about 6 years older than me who has lost majority of his hair and decided to buzz it completely and looks very good with it. I will definitely consider doing it if I have to, but for now I will see where my hair takes me.

When I say that my hair is still falling out I mean that my hair is continuing to thin, sorry for the misunderstanding. But over time the area where I'm going bald is very slowly getting bigger and more noticeable.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Question....

Even though there are healthy hairs in the areas where I'm losing my hair, I feel like the healthy hair that I have in the area where I'm losing it will be gone several years from now. Say if I do get a transplant tomorrow, is it a good idea for a physician to say fill in transplanted hair into the healthy hair that already exits? What are the pro's and con's about doing something like this?

PP2,

Hair can be transplanted in between and around existing hair whether it's thinning or terminal (healty and thick). It would not however, be a good idea to transplant hair in areas that are already dense and thick as it could potentially damage the existing hair or effect the survival of the transplanted hair.

Since the front of your hair is thinner in appearance, hair can be transplanted in between and around it so that if and when your natural hair falls out, you'll still have the transplanted hair. However, in order to maintain the same kind of density, you'd have to have another hair transplant to replace the natural hair if/when appropriate.

However, given that you are only 22, I'd strongly advise you to consider medical treatment for a couple of years first and wait on considering hair transplant surgery. In the meantime, take your time and research the procedure to learn about all about the benefits and limitations that go along with it.

All the best for thickening your existing hair,

Bill

Bill,

Thank you very much for the reply. As much as I would like to get a transplant now, after all the advice I've been given I'm going to be definitely looking into to waiting it out and doing some research.

In the meantime, I had just started using Nanogen yesterday and it works FANTASTIC :). A total day and night difference in my hair. My hair looks much fuller and my scalp is no longer visible. I was amazed on how well the Nanogen fibers blend it with my existing hair, it looks very natural. I highly recommend using it!

I'm going to be contrary - I believe it is OK to get an HT as young as 22 yrs old - which is exactly when I had my first done and am more than happy with the results.

If your hair loss has mostly stabilized, as you mentioned with taking Propecia for the last year, then what your hair looks like now is essentially what it will look like several years from now, at least from the middle to back of your head...therefore you would have most your grafts placed in the frontal 1/3 to add density and recreate a hairline (albeit not a "teenage-low" hairline but still a very good caliber one that you will be pleased with).

Your hair on the back/sides of your head looks like great quality hair..if I was you I would consult some more docs. If you keep taking Propecia and if I was a bettin man, I'd bet that your hair will look no different now than it will in 2 years. Once you understand everything about the procedure and hone your expectations from grandiose to realistic I think that's when you are ready to go through with it, IMO at least.

- 1 HT ~ 3000 grafts

- Regimen:

Propecia 1X daily

PP2,

To be honest you should reevaluate in a year.Your hair still looks pretty good in my opinion. Every year that goes by will be safer for you to do a procedure.

Note: My hair looked just like yours when I was 22 and I have lost alot more since then BUT I was not on Propecia @ the time which I feel is very effective and might help you retain alot more then you will realize in the long run.

My Suggestion: Come back to this forum every few moths with updates and pics. Until then you should keep rockin the concealer and go party it up!!!!!:)

HairIsThere,

I greatly appreciate the reply, that's very interesting to hear that you got a HT done at such a young age. Was your hair loss like mine at that age? Where did you get it done? And after the HT, did you notice any more of your hair begin to thin out in the area's that you were losing it? How many HT's have you done?

DMac,

Great advice, thanks for the reply. How long have you been on propecia since you started taking it at 22? Where is your hair thinning out? Have you noticed you hair continue to thin out slowly even on the drug like me? Have you ever considered doing a HT?

Btw, speaking of partying, yesterday I went out for the first time using the concealer and it worked like a dream. Even after all the dancing and sweating it held up very well. I can actually go out now with a lot more self-confidence without even worrying about my hair. Its a great product :)

Edited by PP2

PP2, i only recommend those who does not even consider no for an answer to at least look for a reputable surgeon. I am glad u are able to hold your horses and trust me, if u feel nanogen works well on u and psycologically, u are holding well up, i concur with the others'advice to put on hold your HT :)

However, do spend time to research once in a while in this forum so when the time comes, u will be 100% prepared :)

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

wb280,

Thanks for the reply. Using Nanogen is looking very promising. It's so easy to use and it works great. I'm with you on that one, I think the toughest part will be to find a reputable surgeon because when I do decide to get a HT done, I want to do it right the first time. And finding a good surgeon is key. I got some homework cut out for me.

Edited by PP2