Post op question for surgeons/travelling patients?

Hi, i have a HT procedure booked in for early August and would just like some clarification on my best options post op.

I'm travelling abroad (only about 1.5hrs by plane) for the op, and have read conflicting information on what's likely to be my physical state afterward.

I have a few options. 1) return home via short plane journey the day after the op, 2) hang on a few days (possibly hotel-room-bound) until potential swelling goes, or 3) make a bit of a holiday of things for perhaps 2 weeks before returning home!

I realise every patient is individual and as such will experience differing after effects but some educated feedback would be appreciated.

The reason i ask is that i didn't realise that post op swelling was so great a risk. Or atleast the degree to which swelling may occur. But i saw a couple of photos which were pretty bad and have been advised by the clinic (when i told them i may hire a car after the 2nd day to travel a little), that the swelling could be such that it may not be recommended to drive for several days post op. Unfortunately this leaves me stuck in a confined area with little to entertain me as i'm making the trip alone.

So really, if i'm going to look like an orangutan after a boxing match i'd rather be that way in my own home with creature comforts. Does anyone have any experience of or advice on whether a next day (short) flight should pose any problems? The clinic seem to think this will be fine and not a problem as swelling should only really kick-in around day 2/3 and be gone by day 5-8 worst case scenario.

I'm being put off staying there in case i feel like crap and can't do much anyway.. i'd just be throwing money into a hotel room and getting cabin fever!

Please, any opinions welcome from people who've been in this position, know somebody who has, or indeed docs with any facts on the issue. I do realise that some decent R&R is necessary post op. The quality of this may be alot better if i can get it at home after some potential aggravation of a short flight??

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Cheers.

I know I am not a hair transplant physician, but I have had two transplants, the second one of which was out of town and was a five hour drive each way. My preference was to leave the day following the surgery, before the swelling and bruising kicked in. For me, the peak of this occurred on days 4-5, which my doctor (and I) had expected.

I have to say that I would not have been in any position to enjoy a holiday following surgery. There was too much discomfort, even with the pain tablets, and appearance-wise, I wanted to stay out of public view. I'd rather feel at my best when on holiday. :P

The degree of swelling/bruising you get can depend significantly on whether or not your hair transplant surgeon gives you something like prednisone to prevent it. Following my first surgery, I did not take any and I looked like I had been in a bar brawl! Following my second surgery, I did take it and the swelling/bruising was much less and went away much quicker.

I am sure others will be able to offer their thoughts too, but I hope this is helpful.

Thanks goldilocks, will enquire about the anti swelling prescription and if he would give me something along those lines. I'm only getting 1800 grafts done so I don't think my surgeon feels I'm going to suffer too badly but I'd certainly prefer to err on the side of caution. I'm reasonably certain now from further research I'd like to try and get home soon as I can but if anyone can foresee a problem with that (particularly if any adverse effects to flying) I'd be grateful to hear. Thanks again.

You might not get any swelling at 1800 grafts. i had a thousand and got minor swelling. I think the bigger the graft count the more chance of swelling. i think has to do with the amount of injections going to the head. The swelling is a result of those injections coming down into the face. best of luck. Who is ur doc?

Hey Keith, I have VERY novice advice to offer, since I'm only 3 days post-op. I traveled from the US to Thailand for the surgery in order to make a vacation out of my recovery, and to keep things inconspicuous. I'll know better in a few days when the swelling has been the worst, but on post op day 1 I had almost no swelling at all, and day 2 I had a bit on the recipient area. I had about 3600 grafts. The only advice I can confidently give is to wear an elastic sweat band around your head. My HT doctor has all his patients do this to prevent any of the edema from creeping down onto the face and eyelids. When I remove the band I can definitely see that the edema stops right where the band is, and my face looks normal as ever (though the top of my head is slightly melonous). On the first post op day I had no problem taking public transit and hanging out at the mall. I've been meandering around bangkok since the surgery, of course keeping my head covered, and minimizing my time in the heat. Prednisone is probably a good idea to prevent swelling, and I may pick up some tomorrow (though in theory this may retard healing). I'm enjoying my vacation very much and the pain has been controlled with ultracet q8 hours. My experience is only anecdotal but I hope it helps.

I would say to return home the day after the surgery. I have done it twice and it was a long trip, US to Europe, 2 legs flight. I did this because:

- The swelling doesn't appear on the next day. Also a plane seat will help against swelling, as your head will always be higher than your body, so you benefit more than you would lay flat on a bed.

- I slept like dead in both flights, because I was still tired from the op and the medication.

- The first week you won't be in the best position for holidays. I preferred to lay at home.

Thanks guys,

Very informative. I've booked my flight now to return the next day. You've made me pretty confident that this won't cause a problem and is my best option. I'm sure my surgeon will have his own ideas on suppressing swelling and pain too so thanks for that... saved me some hotel bills and it means i'll manage some relative comfort at home.

"NotUrAvg".. Please do keep me posted on how your pain treatment and swelling goes for you (any pics too)... Hope you're continuing to enjoy your trip. Will you be having your staples out before you catch your return flight? Do you just wear a standard sports headband under a baseball cap? Is that in any way detrimental to healing? Also, Stamos, how was it going through security in the airport? Any problems? Did they ask for your headwear removed? Staples set the alarm off? Or was it all pre 9'11'? I'm thinking my departure post op will be in a foreign airport so not so worried about someone seeing me but when i land at home and go through passport control, i'm sure they don't allow head wear of any kind so it could be a tricky one! Thanks again guys for the responses.

Cheers.

Hey Keith, day 3 is going great. I specifically updated my log today for you so that you could see the swelling and how I've been covering my head. Ultracet is cheap and you don't need a Rx in Thailand so I've been taking it every 8 hours without any pain. If I wait too long, I do get some pain (I avoid opioids since I'm a lightweight). I started taking 10mg of prednisone today based on what Goldilocks said on this forum (I figured it's a low dose and after 3 days it won't retard healing too much and can only help with the swelling). I also slept at a 45 degree angle with an airplane pillow around my neck for the first 3 nights. Maybe it helped with the swelling, and it definitely helped me prevent rubbing my donor and recipient area against the pillow.

My HT doc, said there was no problem wearing a hat as long as the headband is on, minimizing direct contact. Just be careful to place the hat on from the top and remove it the same way so you are not rubbing the grafts. I've been wearing a hat over my band since day 1 and have been meticulously checking for dislodged grafts and have yet to see any. I'm getting my sutures removed (interrupted nylon with a running vicryl were used - not staples), on day 5 here in Thailand. I'm very lucky that I'm able to take a month to travel and recover in Southeast Asia before I head back to the US. Each person's experience is different and I'm sure there is a chance you may feel lousy immediately after, but I've been feeling pretty great. I spent the whole day shopping, eating and watching movies in Bangkok, and plan to head to Laos this weekend. But then again I did sleep 19 hours after I got home from the surgery.

Hair Restoration Site for Not Ur Avg

Edited by NotUrAvg

Thanks gents. Again more useful info. "Not Ur Avg" I've checked out your pics, all looks good. I'm not so sure about me getting away with that look where i'm from and at my age with regard to the headband under the cap but i'll see if i can achieve a similar effect!

The headband is a good idea which i hadn't heard of before so will be putting that into practice. Spex, a good idea with the "remove your cap please" retort,... it should do the job. The neck pillow is a must too.

Cheers.

All i need to do now is my scalp laxity exercises (not doing very often yet) and keep my fingers crossed that all goes well. I return to work 17 days post op so hopefully i can conceal the work pretty well at that point. Most of it will be IN the hairline, coming just a few mm below in places... i'm not getting the recipient area shaved and i have SOME cover to help achieve that goal! Otherwise i'm in for some serious stick from friends and colleagues... which you don't mind so much.. it's just you don't want to be pointed at and people saying "yeah that's the guy who.." do you!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar question. I'll be in thailand, and post-op will plan on meeting friends. As I need to make a great first impression, I'm too shy to have a beat-red, bruised head in public, I might as well stay in the hotel, watch movies. How many days average until swelling goes down and I get my life back again?

coldandbald, when u mention thailand, can i ask if ur surgeon is Dr Pat? :)

If it is and u are concerned with the swelling of the forehead, i dun think it will be an issue as Dr Pat will provide a tennis head band and the swelling will be concentrated above the swelling... note that i did not say no swelling but it will be contained.

However. if u are talking abt the bruising of the recipient and donor, u cannot escape that... i would prob not want to meet any new friends post op one week... nothing can be hidden. A cap is mandatory IMHO

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

my advice is to travell th night after th hair transplant or a week after, any inbetween these days wil leave you looking like a side show freak or swollen up with fluid..... i had a 9hr plane journey looking like a water mellon.......... if i have to do it again i would have stayed in vancouver for a week longer after the procedure by that time grafts will be solid in place and sweling should be down!!!!!! but if you havent got enough money then fly home directly after and be carefull........

thats what i would do